• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Ahh IE6 final refuses to install (on winXP RC1)

Recommended Posts

zenos    0

I finally got the chance to try out winXP RC1 last week, and now i'm trying to install the final IE6. However, when i run the installation it pops up saying

"A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. Setup will now close."

So i restart and it says it every time! This is a clean install of RC1 (not an upgrade) and no other beta versions of IE6 have been installed before. Typical bloody stupid Microsoft error.... :(

Anyone seen this before? How do you fix it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Tikimotel    23

wait for the final version of winXP?

did you select the win2000 version, read the source of the link in de status line( bottom) does it say win9x/ME somewhere? themn your trying to run the win9x version?

- download it (ie6setup.exe)

- run in compatibility mode (windows 2000)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Tikimotel    23

I'm not at home now, so I haven't tried it myself yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zenos    0

Well there is no choice on which OS version its for if you get it from the main Microsoft site.

I've tried win2k compatability mode - no luck.

Other folk running winXP have been able to upgrade to newer beta versions of IE6 as it was developed, so i'm at a loss why i can't upgrade to the final version :s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
me101    0

Possibly because it's a Final release, and they want you to ditch the beta/RCx version and go and buy/download the real thing.

I installed IE6 last night on my win2k partition and it went without a hitch, so I think us users on beta's/RC's of Windows XP will have to wait and possibly re-install. :(

Unless that is someone manages to figure out how to inject IE6 2600/final into a beta/RC! :D

I'm actually pretty satisfied with RC2, cannot wait thou to go to 2600. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beyonder    0
Originally posted by zenos  

"A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. Setup will now close."

If I am right, you have run a patch that reset and remove the 180 days limit and the 30 days WPA prompt.

Go to your Startup folder. You should see a "reset.bat" file. Temporary remove this file from the Startup and reboot your system. Then install IE6.0. You should not see that prompt again.

Once you are done, you can replace back the reset.bat file.

Hope this works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zenos    0

Nope - don't have a reset.bat or anything similar - no joy. Oh well i'll just have to wait until winXP is released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zzdiesel    0

I updated IE 6 once in XP, but I had to do it in Safe Mode...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
me101    0

Is there any diff in the overall performance to IE6 final vs the IE6 build in RC2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shaahin    0
Originally posted by zenos  

I finally got the chance to try out winXP RC1 last week, and now i'm trying to install the final IE6. However, when i run the installation it pops up saying

"A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. Setup will now close."

So i restart and it says it every time! This is a clean install of RC1 (not an upgrade) and no other beta versions of IE6 have been installed before. Typical bloody stupid Microsoft error.... :(  

Anyone seen this before? How do you fix it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Solved!

You have two options.

1st go to Safe mode then install it (must be connected to the Internet via Network, not modem!)

2nd, Remove everything in your registry startup . Everything! Especially that time-reset thing. If you don't know how to remove them, try this stuff: FixItUtils-3, XQSetup, MsConfig, Etc...

I am using XP RC1 2505 Autopatch. I am installing IE 6.0 Final

now. Finally, don't forget to restore your startup items back!

I manualy removed everything in my XP RC1 2505 startup. Someone please send "TIME RESET" command lines for me!

Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Borgy    0

I installed Internet Explorer 6 final with RC 1 and I had no problems

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EmuZombie    139

Shaahin mind sending me that trash icon? emuzombie@nospam.wi.rr.com

(remove the nospam from email)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shaahin    0
Originally posted by EmuZombie  

Shaahin mind sending me that trash icon?  emuzombie@nospam.wi.rr.com

(remove the nospam from email)

Hello EmuZombie!

Those icons are imported from Mac OS 8.5, with shades! Here I send you some useufull icons, I use Microangelo 98 (not Ver. 5) to replace Windows default Icons.

I am looking for something to edit XP Icons, is there anything out? Nothing can edit the shades under XP icons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.