• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

With the recent updates, are you likely to jump ship?

Are you planning on buying a Windows Phone soon?  

215 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PyX    140

Android is just...ugh...

A pale copy of iOS.

If I were the guy behind iOS, I would be completely raging against everything in life knowing another company copies me perfectly a few months after, enters the competition with a quickly developed product that needed no R&D at all, and makes hundreds of millions like this. Jobs was right about Android, it shows no creativity at all.

Even if I do hate Microsoft since about 2005, I am glad that Windows Phone 7 is a completely different direction. I mean, the few elements they borrowed from iOS are generally the few elements that iOS borrowed from something else. The overall look and use of WP7 is very different than iOS and I have to show my respect for that.

• Like 1

George P    5,488

I get a kick out of how old PC ideas about hardware have found there way over to the phone for no reason. How and why do people think a phone needs dual core CPU why many apps probably don't take advantage of it and games care about the GPU more than anything else.

Fact is WP take advantage of the faster GPU instead of having to feed everything through the slower CPU. Thus the need for dual core isn't there. From day one the WP UI has been fully gpu accelerated so the CPU can be used where its needed. That says everything to me.

• Like 1

subcld    432

already got samsung focus \0

Muhammad Farrukh    1,080

already got samsung focus \0

(Y)

Way to go buddy

TheLegendOfMart    1,558

WP7 is growing on me i hated it at first but its so smooth and slick, i love the multitasking Mango brings and i cant wait for the new Facebook client updated for Mango coming out tomorrow.

• Like 1

WP7 is growing on me i hated it at first but its so smooth and slick, i love the multitasking Mango brings and i cant wait for the new Facebook client updated for Mango coming out tomorrow.

(Y)

Except for the part that you hated it first.

I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the first images and videos.

Pranjal    9

I am having a Galaxy S with Gingerbread, however I feel Android is not able to take optimum advantage of the new generation phones. I am also looking for HTC Radar with Mango. My gripe is that the camera is only 5 MP and the internal storage is a measly 8GB. I am watching and waiting.

• Like 1

tiagosilva29    952

No.

I am having a Galaxy S with Gingerbread, however I feel Android is not able to take optimum advantage of the new generation phones. I am also looking for HTC Radar with Mango. My gripe is that the camera is only 5 MP and the internal storage is a measly 8GB. I am watching and waiting.

Lumia 710?

Pranjal    9

Lumia 710?

The Lumia 710 is having same specs as the HTC Radar. Worse of all, it has physical buttons below the touchscreen which I don't prefer.

Scorbing    517

With Mango having just been released, HTC having released two new handsets and Nokia having put out their two flagship WP devices yesterday are you likely to buy a Windows Phone soon or when your contract ends?

With Samsung's new devices just around the corner, the future for Windows Phone looks reasonably bright, however lets put it to the test.

The Microsoft UI on phones sucks. Just to think that they want to make Windows 8 look like that makes me sick.

subcld    432

The Microsoft UI on phones sucks. Just to think that they want to make Windows 8 look like that makes me sick.

wp7 UI is the best UI i've seen + putting titles instead of icon is a smart move cause you can see updates inside those titles unlike the boring regular dump icons which just say click me

and the UI is the first thing that attracted me to windows phone

• Like 1

Pranjal    9

I think UI for Mango is right there at the top. However the success will depend on the number of phones it is being distributed

George P    5,488

Number of phones was never really the problem, it was marketing and lack of retail sales people giving it the time of day, both things that will change mostly do to Nokias strong push in those areas but also we now see HTC doing the same and Samsung as well. It's all about what that retail salesperson says at the time that matters.

Chicane-UK    674

I'm very keen. I don't have much brand allegiance and will buy / use whatever does the best job for me. I've had an iPhone 3G, I currently have an HTC Desire, but am just about to come out of contract and really like how Windows Phone is looking these days. I'm totally onboard with going for a more elegant / less resource intensive UI rather than just throwing more cores at the solution (doesn't anyone else think it's ridiculous we're onto 1.5GHz dual core chips in MOBILE PHONES?!) and like that Windows Phone is currently the underdog - so the pricing of the handsets reflects that.

Really like the look of the Lumia 800... the new HTC Titan looks pretty cool too and rumours around battery life are promising there. So yeah.. definitely a very good chance I'll be getting a "WinMoPho" for my next handset!

Go back to your laggy Android

wp7 UI is the best UI i've seen + putting titles instead of icon is a smart move cause you can see updates inside those titles unlike the boring regular dump icons which just say click me

and the UI is the first thing that attracted me to windows phone

(Y)

BajiRav    2,137
A pale copy of iOS. If I were the guy behind iOS, I would be completely raging against everything in life knowing another company copies me perfectly a few months after, enters the competition with a quickly developed product that needed no R&D at all, and makes hundreds of millions like this. Jobs was right about Android, it shows no creativity at all. Even if I do hate Microsoft since about 2005, I am glad that Windows Phone 7 is a completely different direction. I mean, the few elements they borrowed from iOS are generally the few elements that iOS borrowed from something else. The overall look and use of WP7 is very different than iOS and I have to show my respect for that.

I hate how WP7 is never given credit. Apple is currently running one iPhone 4S ad that shows the new camera feature(s) they "borrowed" from WP7. It's not a one-way street. Just sayin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSAje0EgYjY

• Like 1

PyX    140

I hate how WP7 is never given credit. Apple is currently running one iPhone 4S ad that shows the new camera feature(s) they "borrowed" from WP7. It's not a one-way street. Just sayin'

I was mainly talking about the GUI.

The ability to zoom, crop, send to twitter, HDR, remove red eyes, high resolution, take pictures with another button, bla bla. This innovation path was clearly traced even before these features existed, in the sense that the things I have seen in this ad were something we were all expecting was going to happen soon or later.

Tharp Daddy    25

I would LOVE a Windows phone! Sadly my only option on Verizon is an older phone (Trophy). I really hope they get some new ones here soon, because my contract is almost up...

firey    3,964

Go back to your laggy Android

My android isn't laggy.. am I special?? I think the tiles look like something that came out of take your kids to work day.. there's a reason kids don't work.

articuno1au    1,264

I would LOVE a Windows phone! Sadly my only option on Verizon is an older phone (Trophy). I really hope they get some new ones here soon, because my contract is almost up...

There should be new phones with Verizon in a month or so.

BajiRav    2,137

I was mainly talking about the GUI.

The ability to zoom, crop, send to twitter, HDR, remove red eyes, high resolution, take pictures with another button, bla bla. This innovation path was clearly traced even before these features existed, in the sense that the things I have seen in this ad were something we were all expecting was going to happen soon or later.

I wasn't pointing fingers at you as such just noted that WP7 never gets credit for its unique features - after you shoot a photo, it slides to a side and then you can swipe it back in the view. I don't remember anyone else doing it before WP7. The other things you noted are nothing special as you said.

Boz    1,324

I will most likely buy a Windows Phone phone when Windows 8 comes out and Nokia comes out with that N9 amazing phone design with Windows Phone 7.

I will most likely buy a Windows Phone phone when Windows 8 comes out and Nokia comes out with that N9 amazing phone design with Windows Phone 7.

Ain't the N9' sibling already here?

My android isn't laggy.. am I special?? I think the tiles look like something that came out of take your kids to work day.. there's a reason kids don't work.

Ha.

Of course it isn't.

Say whatever you want to say about WP, I won't mind because everybody has his own taste.

Yeah there is a reason kids don't work but this kid will.

You'll see how this little kid knocks the big giant down handily in the near future.

Joey S    30

Not a chance. All the devices I've seen are way under spec'd (why pay for last years tech?), the UI is ugly and I really don't think the platform will ever catch on with the general masses.

+1 from me. That's one of the biggest problems with WP devices. Low resolution, small screen (Nokia), single core cpu, low memory. The list goes on. Why would anyone pay the same price for WP7 inferior hardware and software?