• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

some night time picture tips?

Dane    177

So I was take pictures last night at a parade and took notice to something when taking pictures of fire trucks.

When I took a picture of them it was dark and you could only really make out the lights. this was because their bright flood lights were on.

any tips?

+Gary7    7,382

Some type of filter I suppose.

Slammers    114

Your using manual settings right? Just saying because obviously if it was on auto the exposure would adjust to the flood lights.

A ND filters can work wonders for the flare that comes off bright lights like spotlights and the sun but the way your saying everything else was black makes me think the settings were on auto.

Dane    177

Your using manual settings right? Just saying because obviously if it was on auto the exposure would adjust to the flood lights.

A ND filters can work wonders for the flare that comes off bright lights like spotlights and the sun but the way your saying everything else was black makes me think the settings were on auto.

I tried it in A mode and adjusted it but it just made the shutter stay open longer. i did try to take a few in auto and they turned out better but still dark

and what kind of filters?

Argote    73

This kind of shots is usually hard since the difference in light between both is so great. If they were static maybe you could take two shots and combine them, for moving objects, however this is a really hard shot. you could possibly do center weighed or spot metering and put the firetruck body itself on the center of the frame.

Dane    177

This kind of shots is usually hard since the difference in light between both is so great. If they were static maybe you could take two shots and combine them, for moving objects, however this is a really hard shot. you could possibly do center weighed or spot metering and put the firetruck body itself on the center of the frame.

thanks! usually when i take pictures of them they are stopped lol