US: gun ownhership numbers

So 5% of gun owners have no gender? (52% Male + 43% Female = 95%) :huh:

52% of men have guns.

43% of women have guns.

If had you read the other statistics (political and gains in particular) that would be obvious.

hmmm ok

You seem unsure. It's not saying that 52% of gun owners are men and 43% of gun owners are female. It's saying that 43% of all women in the country own guns and 52% of all men in the country own guns.

I didn't actually realize that many people own guns.

In these parts it's far, far easier to count who doesn't than who does, and there are a lot of people with concealed carry permits. In our city of 50,000 there are now 4 standalone gun dealers (not counting hardware & sporting goods stores) and 2 indoor ranges that also retail. Ammo is sold everywhere - even department stores. Not the best place to do a 3:00 AM burglary/home invasion.

As to the pic in my signature - those are just my center-fire automatics. Yes, we have a gun safe.

The police only respond after a crime is committed. There also are not enough of them. More and more states are passing laws that allow citizens to carry a concealed weapon. I was surprised to see the increase of gun ownership for Democrats. They are normally leading the charge to take away the rights of citizens to own a gun.

Results for this Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted Oct. 6-9, 2011, with a random sample of 1,005 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

That's quite a small sample lol.

The police only respond after a crime is committed. There also are not enough of them. More and more states are passing laws that allow citizens to carry a concealed weapon. I was surprised to see the increase of gun ownership for Democrats. They are normally leading the charge to take away the rights of citizens to own a gun.

no, liberals are.

+1

Yet they are among the largest group of those that follow the Eleventh Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Get Caught. (In NRA terms, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six OR eight.)

Also, there are Democrats (including myself) that support the NRA. Just as there are members of the GOP that support the Brady Center (formerly Handgun Control, Inc.).

Yet they are among the largest group of those that follow the Eleventh Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Get Caught. (In NRA terms, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six OR eight.)

Also, there are Democrats (including myself) that support the NRA. Just as there are members of the GOP that support the Brady Center (formerly Handgun Control, Inc.).

Sorry I misspoke. I should have used the term Liberals.

All I have for now is a 12-gauge shotgun. Going to eventually get a compact 9 or 40. Just trying to decide what I want to get.

A Glock 23 would be great or a Sig.

All I have for now is a 12-gauge shotgun. Going to eventually get a compact 9 or 40. Just trying to decide what I want to get.

Glock 23 and the Sig Sauer P229 are both great guns.

I *really* like SIG's, and usually carry a P250 subcompact or P239 in .40 which is much harder hitting than 9mm. Service round of the FBI it is, and created for them because they were outgunned with their 9mm's and .38's. Lost too many agents because of it. Now a majority of cops in this part of the US carry the .40.

The P250 is 25 oz. with a double action only trigger, which IMO is safer for carry than a single action or DA/SA, and is modular - you swap slides & clip to change caliber (or just the barrel to go from .40 <-> .357 SIG). It can also swap handles & slides to change sizes: subcompact <-> compact <-> full size. No tools necessary & takes 2 minutes. Best double action trigger I've ever shot on an auto - smooth & light (5.5 lbs.)

All versions retain the same serial number since it's on the hot-swappable fire control module. SIG sells X-Change kits for the size/caliber you want, or you can buy their 2-Sum kit which includes everything to swap the fire control module between a subcompact and full sized setup. Even comes with a nice dual hard case.

P250-2SUM-detail-Hero.jpgSig250002.jpg

. I was surprised to see the increase of gun ownership for Democrats.

Considering that New York and California (both major strongholds for Democrats) both have very high crime rates in their larger cities, it isn't surprising at all that Democrats are finally realizing that owning a gun to protect themselves actually is a good idea.

:rolleyes: When are people around here going to actually understand how sample sizes of surveys work? 1005 is actually a very valid sample size for a population the size of the US.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Soc_participants.shtml

http://research-advisors.com/tools/SampleSize.htm

That gives a confidence of about 95% with a margin of error around 3%.

Considering that New York and California (both major strongholds for Democrats) both have very high crime rates in their larger cities, it isn't surprising at all that Democrats are finally realizing that owning a gun to protect themselves actually is a good idea.

:rolleyes: When are people around here going to actually understand how sample sizes of surveys work? 1005 is actually a very valid sample size for a population the size of the US.

http://www.sciencebu...ticipants.shtml

http://research-advi.../SampleSize.htm

That gives a confidence of about 95% with a margin of error around 3%.

Post #12

Sorry I misspoke. I should have used the term Liberals.

Especially in light of the 2006 UCR stats showing the violent crime rate ~35% lower in those States with liberalized concealed carry laws. Since these 2 more states have become Shall Issue permit issuers, making it 42 out of 50 - and in 3 more States; Vermont, Alaska and Arizona, there are no concealed carry permits necessary so it's really 45 of 50 States. There is also legislation before Congress bringing uniformity to the reciprocity agreements that allow someone with a concealed carry permit in one state to carry in other States.

post-347280-0-02436200-1319846490.jpg

@techbeck If you're willing to consider a .45, I really like my Kimber 1911 (the Custom II model). You'll hear a lot of people decry the idea of carrying cocked and locked, but a well maintained 1911 pattern pistol is as safe as you are. You'd also be surprised how easy it is to carry a full frame pistol concealed, and I'm not a huge dude. You certainly don't get the magazine capacity with a single-stack .45 as you do with a double-stack 9mm or .40, but have you seen what a .45 JHP does to a pumpkin? :D

Edit: Also, if you can, go to a range and talk to some people shooting pistols. In my experience, most people are more than willing to let you put a few downrange or to at least hold their guns to see if you like the ergonomics.

Actually, the degree of hydrostatic shock from a .40 HST round is roughly equal to that in a standard .45 ACP load. Either way you're dead, or damned close to it, due to a massive shock wave bursting blood vessels in the brain and other tissues remote from the wound. Most researchers here and in Europe consider 1,000 psi the minimum to reliably deliver hydrostatic shock. In a .40 its about 1,700 psi, and in a .45 about 1,850 psi. A .357 SIG delivers about 1,150 psi and a 9mm just 500 psi.

post-347280-0-85527500-1319848703.jpg

Hm, never knew that. Thanks for the numbers. And agreed, either way you're dead or wishing for it. Even with a 9mm...sure the psi numbers are apparently much lower, but I still wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of one :rofl: I personally just loved the ergos of a 1911 from the moment I picked it up, and the Kimber was the nicest one in stock that fit my budget.

Slightly off-topic side note: How do you like your Desert Eagle? Doesn't seem too practical but MAN does it look fun to shoot...I wouldn't frown on the idea of you shooting a pumpkin with it in front of a high-speed camera :)

@techbeck If you're willing to consider a .45, I really like my Kimber 1911 (the Custom II model). You'll hear a lot of people decry the idea of carrying cocked and locked, but a well maintained 1911 pattern pistol is as safe as you are. You'd also be surprised how easy it is to carry a full frame pistol concealed, and I'm not a huge dude. You certainly don't get the magazine capacity with a single-stack .45 as you do with a double-stack 9mm or .40, but have you seen what a .45 JHP does to a pumpkin? :D

Edit: Also, if you can, go to a range and talk to some people shooting pistols. In my experience, most people are more than willing to let you put a few downrange or to at least hold their guns to see if you like the ergonomics.

The magazine only holds 7 shells, I would prefer the Glock 23 or The Sig P250.

The magazine only holds 7 shells, I would prefer the Glock 23 or The Sig P250.

Wilson Combat does make 8 round magazines that will fit. I hear you though, if you're after capacity a 1911 just isn't going to be your thing except for punching targets in the event you have the cash to spare on a range queen. It'll do that quite nicely though, I might add!

Slightly off-topic side note: How do you like your Desert Eagle? Doesn't seem too practical but MAN does it look fun to shoot...I wouldn't frown on the idea of you shooting a pumpkin with it in front of a high-speed camera :)

Fun as Hell it is. The .50AE DE and 500 S&W BFR (unshown - it's a revolver) are both friggin' cannons, but I only take them out when in bear or pig country or if I'm hunting deer with them. That and taking them to the indoor range so I can ROTFLMAO at people diving for cover at the first few shots :D

Wilson Combat does make 8 round magazines that will fit. I hear you though, if you're after capacity a 1911 just isn't going to be your thing except for punching targets in the event you have the cash to spare on a range queen. It'll do that quite nicely though, I might add!

Target shooting with a .45 ACP would be rather expensive unless you reload. I only have a Walther PPKS, a Ruger .357 and some old French made 7.65 mm that was used by the French resistance in WWII.

Target shooting with a .45 ACP would be rather expensive unless you reload. I only have a Walther PPKS, a Ruger .357 and some old French made 7.65 mm that was used by the French resistance in WWII.

Indeed it is - my press just got here a week or so ago, but been busy with work and kicking my ass back into shape via P90X so I haven't had any time to do anything besides deprime and clean/inspect the cases I had saved. Planning on loading for .45, .223, and eventually .308 once I decide on a rifle. Neat that you've got a gun with the kind of story that's behind your French resistance piece. Nabbed at a show?