• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

US: gun ownhership numbers

DocM    16,535

And you can get a 50 box of Federal .40 HST 135's originally made for the Border Patrol, ICE & DHS at Wal-Mart for about $23.00, less on sale. They didn't get the contract - Winchester got it with the Ranger .40 135, probably because Federal already had 2 of the 3 contracts offered - but they're making them and they're on the market. Nice round, low recoil and hits a lot harder than a 135g round would indicate. Expands to about .8" in water, about 0.7" in gel.

.50AE DE vs. ballistic gel and watermelons - enjoy :)

Federal .40 135g - XM40HA. Dig that HST hollow point. Made specifically for compact concealed carry guns.

post-347280-0-91943000-1319851050.jpg

+Gary7    7,372

This forum needs a gun section.. :lamp:

Soulsiphon    73

It's the guns that aren't being counted that should cause concern.

Or those that hold 30 round clips...

+Gary7    7,372

Yea only the drug cartel uses them. Guns are not required to be counted. Read the 2nd Amendment .

DocM    16,535

Hmmm....I have some 50 round clips for the SKS & AK :whistle:

stump52    1

snip

!!! Thank you, kind sage.

This forum needs a gun section.. :lamp:

That'd be sweet. One ring forum to rule them all :D

Round count doesn't make a gun any more or less lethal. One hit from a single shot .22LR can still be deadly if placed in the right spot. I certainly wouldn't argue that 30 rounders are NECESSARY, (then again, neither is having a 55" TV, right?) but they might as well be if you're competing in a 3-gun competition (haven't tried this out yet so I can't vouch for sure, but from what I know large magazine capacity would be helpful here).

Far more important would be what I *think* your first point is alluding to, which would be guns acquired illegally. If that's what you meant, you're absolutely right - those of us who are willing to jump through the hoops to legally purchase and keep a weapon are statistically quite unlikely to decide that its criminal rampage time. One of my potential nightmares as a gun owner is a break-in resulting in a weapon or weapons being stolen. Hence why I spent the money on a large gun safe (and hey, its got a nice ceramic fire blanket in - nice spot to stick a hard drive with your important stuff backed up, too!) and make sure to keep everything in there when its not on my person or being transported to the range.

DocM    16,535

Hence why I spent the money on a large gun safe (and hey, its got a nice ceramic fire blanket in - nice spot to stick a hard drive with your important stuff backed up, too!)....

You do that too 'eh? GMTA :)

bj55555    229

So 5% of gun owners have no gender? (52% Male + 43% Female = 95%) :huh:

They accidentally shot their own penises off.

+Gary7    7,372

!!! Thank you, kind sage.

That'd be sweet. One ring forum to rule them all :D

Round count doesn't make a gun any more or less lethal. One hit from a single shot .22LR can still be deadly if placed in the right spot. I certainly wouldn't argue that 30 rounders are NECESSARY, (then again, neither is having a 55" TV, right?) but they might as well be if you're competing in a 3-gun competition (haven't tried this out yet so I can't vouch for sure, but from what I know large magazine capacity would be helpful here).

Far more important would be what I *think* your first point is alluding to, which would be guns acquired illegally. If that's what you meant, you're absolutely right - those of us who are willing to jump through the hoops to legally purchase and keep a weapon are statistically quite unlikely to decide that its criminal rampage time. One of my potential nightmares as a gun owner is a break-in resulting in a weapon or weapons being stolen. Hence why I spent the money on a large gun safe (and hey, its got a nice ceramic fire blanket in - nice spot to stick a hard drive with your important stuff backed up, too!) and make sure to keep everything in there when its not on my person or being transported to the range.

a hitman's shell of choice is a .22 hollow point. Hard to do ballistics on.

DocM    16,535

The main reason is because medium loads (long, not long rifle) are subsonic and quieter. Hollow point is secondary - being an unjacketed soft lead bullet counts as much and solids heavier & penetrate better.

Had a chance to ask an associate of the Zerilli family. He was a patient as a prisoner and loved to chat about "work."

Fred Derf    217

:rolleyes: When are people around here going to actually understand how sample sizes of surveys work? 1005 is actually a very valid sample size for a population the size of the US.

http://www.sciencebu...ticipants.shtml

http://research-advi.../SampleSize.htm

That gives a confidence of about 95% with a margin of error around 3%.

Most people do not understand statistics.

We have other gun threads in the Hobby Section. I do not believe this thread was created for debate purposes (so I'll hold off posting anything).

[Thread Moved from RWI to Hobby Corner]

eveready    13

I certainly wouldn't argue that 30 rounders are NECESSARY, (then again, neither is having a 55" TV, right?)

They don't fit into a liberals' perfect vision of the world. You know, all those evil features, just like the flash hiders and pistol grips. Absolutely terrible features.

I live in NY, where we have a permanent AWB in place. Do you think anyone who voted for the AWB actually knows what a flash hider does?

+Gary7    7,372

The main reason is because medium loads (long, not long rifle) are subsonic and quieter. Hollow point is secondary - being an unjacketed soft lead bullet counts as much and solids heavier & penetrate better.

Had a chance to ask an associate of the Zerilli family. He was a patient as a prisoner and loved to chat about "work."

This is true but if one is shot in the back of the head, execution style-does not really matter.

Southern Patriot    933

This is true but if one is shot in the back of the head, execution style-does not really matter.

Not quite. Since a subsonic .22 is going so slow, it is actually possible for it to ricochet around inside the skull, at least with a solid round. A hollow point would simply shatter once it entered the skull. The solid round would actually do more damage, and be more likely to kill the target.

DocM    16,535

Yup - that can happen. Seen it many times. Same thing can happen in the chest cavity with .32's or .25's bouncing off ribs etc.

+Gary7    7,372

Yup - that can happen. Seen it many times.

It can happen but the chance of death is great.