[POLL] Would you pay to keep using your favourite browser ?

Would you pay to keep using your favourite browser ?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to keep using your favourite browser ?

• Yes
    • No

We all have our beloved favourite browser right?

What if tomorrow you were greeted with a notice telling you in order to continue using your browser, you must pay per month.

Lets say ?4.99 p/m

Would you pay or would you immediately swap to a different free one ?

I said yes, but it's a bit of a loaded question. It depends on what I was getting for the cost. If they wanted $5 p/m just to keep using it without any other benefits, I would definitely shop around. For a monthly fee I expect there to be more than just "you can use it" because many browsers would still offer the service for free.

We all have our beloved favourite browser right?

What if tomorrow you were greeted with a notice telling you in order to continue using your browser, you must pay per month.

Lets say ?4.99 p/m

Would you pay or would you immediately swap to a different free one ?

Maybe a low one time up front fee (or for every major version...well maybe not with how browsers seem to be doing versions now...), but not ?60 ($70) a year for something that just renders HTML and runs javascript.

I would pay. No other browser worth using imo.

Out of curiousity, what browser do you use Xilo?

Firefox.

I haven't used it regularly since version 3. Though I do love it's firebug plugin and web developer toolbar. :D

I have zero browser loyalty. I used to use MSIE back when it was that or Netscape (and thus, MSIE was the better choice). Then I switched to Firefox when it became the better choice. Now I use Chrome/Chromium for the very same reason. If Chrome charged $1 then I would revert to Firefox in a heartbeat. That's also why I never really bothered with Opera.

Nope. A web browser is a web browser to me and as I have no interest in add-ons they're all pretty much the same.

I currently use Firefox, but sometimes have to use IE and Chrome at work. I'm used to Firefox but I'm sure any other browser would do me as long as it displayed pages the same and wasn't slower. So no, I would not pay.

Forgetting the idea that it would never work, if my "favourite" browser were to start charging me to use it I would switch. "Favourite" has quotation marks because it's not necessarily my favourite, it's just the one I use right now. I have no real loyalty to a particular browser.

Well many people already pay for their browser. Internet Explorer users pay for it as an inclusion of their purchase of Windows. Same with Safari on Mac OS X, or the browser included with your Smart Phone.

There are also a slew of paid Browsers on the iOS App Store. With many of the free browsers, you pay with your privacy because they have deals to collect statistics on you or to suggest a default Search engine to you.

Nothing wrong with any of that. Me personally I would not want to pay anything extra on top of what I have already paid or am already paying for the computer system. I use an Open Source browser and if this was to happen I would simply use a forked version instead.

I doubt it monthly, maybe a one off payment, depending on what was on offer, free upgrades, built in anti virus/firewall that type of thing. Failing that it would be dropped faster than a hot potato.