Getting a Samsung Focus S

Today I'm getting a Samsung Focus S. So far, I liked what I saw on the demo model at the store. It has Internet Sharing in the options, and I was able to turn it on. :huh: I'm going to ask the at&t reps today when I pick it up if it comes with the new Windows Phones without needing an additional tethering plan to go with it. :) I think it's funny to see an HSPA+ device have it enabled without at&t forcing it to go with a expensive plan. :rofl:

I liked the build quality much better than the Samsung Focus. The front facing camera seemed really decent too, can't wait to make video calls with it! :yes:

I'm going to ask if I can bring it home without them setting it up in the store. So I might take pictures unboxing, there may be an unboxing video, haven't decided yet. :)

Anyway, hope Microsoft introduces a Skype app today at their NYC event! Will post more when I get the phone. Peace. :D

• Like 2

Well..

The best screen goes to Samsung.

The clearblack of Nokia has some catching up to do.

But yes...

One thing. The clearblack is better in direct sunlight!.. Thats a big point to the Nokia phone.

You'll probably need a tethering plan, unfortunately.

Anyway, congrats! Looks like a great phone. I'll have to go out to an AT&T store and try one out myself.

I got one, but I am thinking it will go back to the store. I can't quite put my finger on why, but my original focus feels more responsive to touch. Maybe it is some firmware or driver issue with the Focus S, but the keyboard feels laggy (compared to the og. Focus) and the scrolling doesn't seem as responsive either.

I was really looking forward to this device as my ultimate WP7 device.. as I missed the super amoled plus display from my galaxy s II.. but it just doesn't feel "right"

Got my Samsung Focus S, the battery life I'm still testing and hoping improves...

The device feels great, the back cover is much better. Originally the old plastic cover was stronger, but I felt as though it would break apart easier from the strain of holding on to the back of the device, and it did, most of the cover would come off very easy, it was not secure at all. This back cover is much more secure in the Focus S because it is tucked in more, it is hugged by the device better, and it seals much better. You can see a perfect precision cut around the camera, and the design is really nice. The cover is much more flexible and bendable, but because it has much less strain like I just pointed out, it will last longer sticking on to the back of the device the way it is designed. Overall, making the device better in this category was done much better than in previous generations of Samsung phones.

Also, it does not seem as responsive on the keyboard as it used to, but everywhere else is fine. I'm going to try and adapt to it though because the demo device in the store was much worse. I believe it is just because I've been away from my Samsung Focus that I have to get used to typing on a screen again. Another thing I'm considering is at&t is launching Visual Voicemail very shortly, according to an email sent earlier this week to the at&t reps at the store I bought my phone. It might come as part of a firmware update that improves the speed of the device along with other things. I'm not sure, but the battery life is much more concerning to me than the speed, which is only seen on the keyboard.

The front facing camera is brilliant, I love it. It is very snappy and great for what it does. The rear facing camera is excellent, and much better than my original 5MP camera on the Samsung Focus.

The internet speed is fantastic for loading full webpages, it loads very quickly, music streams much better. It really makes the experience an upgrade from my Samsung Focus. I feel as though Wi-Fi speeds got better too, probably because the device is faster and can talk over the network much faster than my Samsung Focus could.

Samsung included some goodies, such as being able to turn key vibration feedback off (so much better IMO), auto display intensity off, and echo cancellation off. They also have high fidelity position options, you can turn sensor aiding on which helps with positioning when GPS is less accurate using accelerometer/compass, and the option to turn off using GLONASS.

Internet Sharing is checked with at&t first, it did not do that on the demo device, but it does on my phone. I fixed that. ;)

I'll add more later if I can, but I love this device so far except the battery life. :)

Congrats on the phone. I had the normal Focus but this looks sweet too. :yes:

As for batteries you gotta give them a week. That's enough time for battery conditioning and for you to put the phone down and stop using it all day constantly and expecting it to last all day :) New phones batteries don't last as long for those 2 reasons, "new phone" being the main reason.

$199.99 at AT&T

256827772.PNG

Yep, if you're lucky though, they'll offer you a sale/promotion that brings it down to 99 dollars. ;) I purchased my Samsung Focus for that amount, didn't ask this time though, got my Focus S for the $199.99, which is still decent.

Today I'm getting a Samsung Focus S. So far, I liked what I saw on the demo model at the store. It has Internet Sharing in the options, and I was able to turn it on. :huh: I'm going to ask the at&t reps today when I pick it up if it comes with the new Windows Phones without needing an additional tethering plan to go with it. :) I think it's funny to see an HSPA+ device have it enabled without at&t forcing it to go with a expensive plan. :rofl:

I liked the build quality much better than the Samsung Focus. The front facing camera seemed really decent too, can't wait to make video calls with it! :yes:

I'm going to ask if I can bring it home without them setting it up in the store. So I might take pictures unboxing, there may be an unboxing video, haven't decided yet. :)

Anyway, hope Microsoft introduces a Skype app today at their NYC event! Will post more when I get the phone. Peace. :D

I'd suggest getting the HTC Radar 4G, but it's only T-mobile so far.

Sionic Ion:

Hows the battery life with usual wi-fi and other usages?

The battery is still conditioning itself. It looks like it is doing much better today. Yesterday it was skyrocketing down for no reason, but it still lasted all day, it never died. Just the percentage went down really far. Today it hasn't done that yet. I'll measure it later, perhaps next week, when I'm using it a certain amount of time everyday, and the battery is done conditioning itself.

I'd suggest getting the HTC Radar 4G, but it's only T-mobile so far.

No offense or anything, but the Samsung Focus S beats that phone in every possible way. Better screen (larger and Super AMOLED Plus), thinner, better CPU (1.4GHz versus 1GHz), better front-facing camera (1.2MP versus VGA), more storage (16GBs versus 8GBs), etc. My phone is just simply better. ;)

The battery is still conditioning itself. It looks like it is doing much better today. Yesterday it was skyrocketing down for no reason, but it still lasted all day, it never died. Just the percentage went down really far. Today it hasn't done that yet. I'll measure it later, perhaps next week, when I'm using it a certain amount of time everyday, and the battery is done conditioning itself.

Okay thanks.

Have you turned on the battery saver?

No offense or anything, but the Samsung Focus S beats that phone in every possible way. Better screen (larger and Super AMOLED Plus), thinner, better CPU (1.4GHz versus 1GHz), better front-facing camera (1.2MP versus VGA), more storage (16GBs versus 8GBs), etc. My phone is just simply better. ;)

(Y)

I went to the AT&T store yesterday, nice phone... I am just so disappointed that it is only 16GB. I've been waiting for this device and now I have to wait even longer for the Nokia devices. :(

I went to the AT&T store yesterday, nice phone... I am just so disappointed that it is only 16GB. I've been waiting for this device and now I have to wait even longer for the Nokia devices. :(

N9?

There just doesn't seem to be much of a demand for 32GB phones otherwise the market would push for more of them. The easy option for a OEM is to just give you a micoSD slot etc but that's not happening with WP7 at this point. Maybe come WP8 it could, but who knows. I have a 16GB device and at one point I was using at best close to 8GB out of the, after OS etc, is more or less 13GB free. So on my part I never felt constrained by storage limits.

Maybe in 2012 we'll see more, maybe they want to wait for WP8, dunno what OEMs plan to do but then again we don't have the full picture as far as demand goes.