.uk domain

Question

Dan~    279

Does anyone know how/where to buy a .uk domain.

I don't want .co.uk, just .uk

Surely it's possible these days!

15 answers to this question

Aldur82    5

Just type your topic name into google...it's that simple.

Lee G.    236

It's not possible, I'm afraid.

It is prohibited to register a domain name directly under .uk (such as internet.uk) and a second-level domain must be used (such as internet.co.uk).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.uk

Lee G.    236

I'm talking about the public registering .uk domains.

However, some domains delegated before the creation of Nominet UK remain. Examples include mod.uk (Ministry of Defence), parliament.uk (Parliament), bl.uk and british-library.uk (the British Library), nls.uk (the National Library of Scotland), nhs.uk (The National Health Service), and jet.uk (UKAEA as operator of the Joint European Torus experimental fusion tokamak). No new 'normal' registrations at the second level are accepted although there is a system for allocating new second level domains to expand the capacity of the system. Such allocations are rarely made.
TurboTuna    9

I'm talking about the public registering .uk domains.

.police.uk would be equal to .co.uk - with .police replacing .co

The NHS also use .nhs.uk.

The Police and NHS run their own TLD.

There was a post a while ago on the same thing if you search :)

Edit: Some more info below, apparently if you're enterprise and have $185,000 you're in with a chance.

http://nexus404.com/...000-filing-fee/

http://newgtlds.icann.org/

http://newgtlds.icann.org/announcements-and-media/video/application-evaluation-process-en

Detection    2,256

Think of a domain name that ends in co then you have your .uk name

ie. www.alfres.co.uk

Dan~    279

I thought so, it's just annoying, as I don't run a company which is the .co part.

It's a shame why we can't use .uk as I believe America has .us they can use, and I believe Nominet needs a kick up it's arse to release .uk addresses

+M2Ys4U    97

I thought so, it's just annoying, as I don't run a company which is the .co part.

It's a shame why we can't use .uk as I believe America has .us they can use, and I believe Nominet needs a kick up it's arse to release .uk addresses

Does it really mater? the .co bit (and .com, really) has really lost all meaning tbh

Dan~    279

It matters to me! I suppose it doesn't it just annoys me that there's .ca, .us, etc etc and there's no real reason why public can't use .uk :/

tiagosilva29    953

Removed!

In before warning.

• Like 1
Crisp    3,271

.net sounds better IMO.

+BudMan    3,745

"there's no real reason why public can't use .uk"

Sure there is -- the reason being uk is country TLD, ie ccTLD, and the reason its not open to everyone is the org that handles the .uk tld ie "Nominet UK" did not change the rules as they stood when formed. And therefore you can only register second level domains. From my understanding all of the ones that currently exist, existed before Nominet was formed.

Take it up with Nominet if you do not like their current policies ;)

The rules that allow for registration of second level domains under ccTLDs are established by the org that manages that tld, the .us for example you could not register domain.us until early 2002 I do believe. And then even then you have to meet specific rules its not open to everyone on the planet.

If you do not like the rules that are in place by the root level tld you want to use -- then hey you can always make your own ;) tld.name is one of the websites.. Looks like their pricing is about $1000

Fees

As consideration for TLD.NAME's TLD registration, and administration services, you agree to pay TLD.NAME, upon submission of your TLD application, or registrar transfer application to TLD.NAME, the then-current fees set forth in the TLD.NAME price schedule for such services. ( $ 1000.- is TLD.NAME's current price schedule.) All fees are non-refundable, in whole or in part. However in case your TLD registration is suspended, or cancelled or transferred due to a colliding registration of the same TLD within the first week, you will receive a 100% refund. TLD.NAME reserves the right to change fees, surcharges, renewal fees or to institute new fees at any time, for any reason, at its sole discretion.

Another place is

http://un1d.com/tld-fees.php

the sum to register a new TLD is $ 1000 USD Only. This includes an endless amount of possible Second Level Domains (SLDs). Renewal (after 1 year) is $ 250 per year.

You could allow registration in your TLD and charge whatever you want ;) And make any rules you want..

Seizure1990    252

co(m) doesn't stand for "company", it stands for "commercial". I guess they could come up with a TLD meant for personal websites, but they don't have one, so "commercial" is just as good. No one cares, you just need to stop being OCD. :p

primexx    372

"there's no real reason why public can't use .uk"

Sure there is -- the reason being uk is country TLD, ie ccTLD, and the reason its not open to everyone is the org that handles the .uk tld ie "Nominet UK" did not change the rules as they stood when formed. And therefore you can only register second level domains. From my understanding all of the ones that currently exist, existed before Nominet was formed.

Take it up with Nominet if you do not like their current policies ;)

The rules that allow for registration of second level domains under ccTLDs are established by the org that manages that tld, the .us for example you could not register domain.us until early 2002 I do believe. And then even then you have to meet specific rules its not open to everyone on the planet.

If you do not like the rules that are in place by the root level tld you want to use -- then hey you can always make your own ;) tld.name is one of the websites.. Looks like their pricing is about $1000

Fees

As consideration for TLD.NAME's TLD registration, and administration services, you agree to pay TLD.NAME, upon submission of your TLD application, or registrar transfer application to TLD.NAME, the then-current fees set forth in the TLD.NAME price schedule for such services. ( $ 1000.- is TLD.NAME's current price schedule.) All fees are non-refundable, in whole or in part. However in case your TLD registration is suspended, or cancelled or transferred due to a colliding registration of the same TLD within the first week, you will receive a 100% refund. TLD.NAME reserves the right to change fees, surcharges, renewal fees or to institute new fees at any time, for any reason, at its sole discretion.

Another place is

http://un1d.com/tld-fees.php

the sum to register a new TLD is $ 1000 USD Only. This includes an endless amount of possible Second Level Domains (SLDs). Renewal (after 1 year) is $ 250 per year.

You could allow registration in your TLD and charge whatever you want ;) And make any rules you want..

wow i didn't realize it's so cheap. i thought the talks before of opening up all TLDs pegged the price at tens of thousands?

+BudMan    3,745

"TLD meant for personal websites, but they don't have one"

the uk domain did come up with one for personal, its me.uk and has bee around for quite some time!!!

The me.uk second level domain was introduced on January 14 2002. It is the first new second level domain to be introduced since we started operating the .uk Registry in 1996.

The me.uk Second Level Domain is intended for personal use. Domain Name registrations made under me.uk are expected to be made for natural persons, such as Mr John Doe registering johndoe.me.uk

As to a generic type full TLD for personal use, the .net one is perfect.. I have a few of these as well as .info which is CHEAP and also generic for personal use. You also have the .name which is suppose to be used for families and individuals