Fedora 16 officially released

ill try fedora again , just hate when ii have to search how to install mp3 playback & flash but overall i did like fedora 15

There are a couple of scripts that make adding codecs and flash (and other things) a breeze. Look for Autoplus or Easylife. They both do the same thing. I used Autoplus and it worked like a charm.

Now how do you install FC16 on a mid 2010 macbook pro 13inch? The macbook pro has two partitions OS and data partitions. I tried and the installation gave bootloader not installed correctly at the end but after a pause it said installed successfully. However when i tired to boot it gave grub error like "no boot disk".

normally i dont run these bloated noob distros (Gentoos been my one and only) but i havent played with linux since win7. Maybe ill give this a try.

Bloated? The install iso for 64bit was only 604mb. I guess you must be a fan of the *box distro's, I however am not. I have always been an ubuntu fan, but Fedora16 has changed me. I used to use Archlinux all the time, but I got tired of the configuration.

Now how do you install FC16 on a mid 2010 macbook pro 13inch? The macbook pro has two partitions OS and data partitions. I tried and the installation gave bootloader not installed correctly at the end but after a pause it said installed successfully. However when i tired to boot it gave grub error like "no boot disk".

Give rEFIt a try

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

On a side note, I installed F16 this morning around 8am. Its 3:04pm, and im finally used to the way gnome3 does stuff, and I love it. I doubt ill change distributions again unless fedora becomes stupid and tries to force unity onto us.

Does fedora have a Community repo like opensuse?

One thing I love about openSUSE is that when I add the Community repositories, I get the latest versions of Wine, games (like 0AD etc), GNOME apps etc..

Is there anyway of adding a repo like this to Fedora?

Does fedora have a Community repo like opensuse?

One thing I love about openSUSE is that when I add the Community repositories, I get the latest versions of Wine, games (like 0AD etc), GNOME apps etc..

Is there anyway of adding a repo like this to Fedora?

Wine, GNOME apps etc are regularly updated in the Fedora updates and updates-testing repository.

For non-free packages (VLC, mp3 playback, proprietary drivers) http://rpmfusion.org/ is the repository of choice.

I kept having boot problems with F16. I assumed it was something to do with their new boot system. It would hang on boot over half the time. I decided to go back to Kubuntu for now.

Can you run Fedora 16 in VMware Fusion with the full Gnome 3.2 shell? Or does it still revert to a fall-back interface?

Seeing as VMWare still doesn't support hardware acceleration in Linux Guests, No, it will just use fall-back

if you want to be able to test out the gnome shell install VirtualBox it supports hardware acceleration for linux guests (though fedora for whatever reason requires a few extra steps to install the guest tools, here is a step by step guide in getting the guest tools working in fedora http://www.sysprobs.com/install-fedora-15-virtualbox-steps-install-virtualbox-guest-additions-fedora-15)

I thought I read 3.2 would finally support the full GUI through software acceleration? :/

if you want to be able to test out the gnome shell install VirtualBox it supports hardware acceleration for linux guests (though fedora for whatever reason requires a few extra steps to install the guest tools, here is a step by step guide in getting the guest tools working in fedora http://www.sysprobs....tions-fedora-15)

*sigh* Nothing can come easy huh on Linux?

GNOME 3.2 isn't as horrible as 3.0 anymore, especially after tweaking it. It's (imho) better than Ubuntu Unity - which isn't saying much, granted. I shall use this for a while and post more experiences over the next days.

Agreed. It's actually quite intuitive once you get the hang of it.

I use an 4-5 year old laptop (with expectation of it performing as a netbook), and 32bit standard Fedora 16 runs better then the current version of ubuntu on it.

It does run in Gnome fallback mode.

Whats up with Linux and flash ?

Is it something I am doing wrong or ... On my Laptop Ive tried Ubuntu loads of versions, and now this release of Fedora, full screen flash videos are like a slideshow, yet when I install Windows 7 they are smooth as pie

Is it just a Linux thing or bad nVIdia driver support ?

GNOME 3.4 will support the full experience through software acceleration. So either you wait for VMware to implement OpenGL drivers for Linux, or you wait until Fedora 17 'Beefy Miracle'1 is released with GNOME 3.4.

1 Yes, 'Beefy Miracle is the actual code name for Fedora 17.

It is easy. Just follow the tutorial, simplez. :D

Whats up with Linux and flash ?

Is it something I am doing wrong or ... On my Laptop Ive tried Ubuntu loads of versions, and now this release of Fedora, full screen flash videos are like a slideshow, yet when I install Windows 7 they are smooth as pie

Is it just a Linux thing or bad nVIdia driver support ?

glxinfo | grep direct

1 Yes, 'Beefy Miracle is the actual code name for Fedora 17.

Awesome name :D

I use an 4-5 year old laptop (with expectation of it performing as a netbook), and 32bit standard Fedora 16 runs better then the current version of ubuntu on it.

It does run in Gnome fallback mode.

Unity runs better in 2D mode for some graphic chips. I believe you can set the default session to unity-2d in lightdm.conf or something like that.

lol thanks, running windows now, but I know for next time

That will tell you if you're running in hardware accelerated mode. It's possible you're running the nouveau open source driver by default. You could try installing the proprietary and see if that improves performance.

I thought I read 3.2 would finally support the full GUI through software acceleration? :/

that got pushed back, should be in the next GNOME update

no, it does .... on every other distro except Fedora

fedora for whatever reason leaves some things out that the guest tools need to work correctly

I'm loving Fedora 16 so far.. Only issue I'm having is my storage drive.. For some reason no matter what SATA port I plug into it becomes the 'master' drive.. so I just simply unplug it to install Fedora.. Then once setup is complete I power down, plug back in, boot.. BUT, before I even get to boot Fedora I get a message about root/windows .. some type of DOS looking screen about Windows missing or a driver.. I think it has to do with my secondary hard drive wanting to be the primary drive and last I had windows installed before going to Fedora.. What gives? Also for tweaking.. I found this http://fedorautils.sourceforge.net/ and it's great!!

coming from ubuntu i can say the same. so far, fedora is great and i intend to keep it on my computer, as it seems quite a bit faster than ubuntu. however: i just dont get my htc desire shown anywhere when i connect with usb cable. it worked perfectly on ubuntu;