Fedora 16 officially released

Hmm, Not trying to start a flame war here, but I kinda feel that fedora is quite bloated. What do you think guys?

fedora and ubuntu and all the like are all bloated anymore

that's why i've gotten into learning Arch Linux

fedora and ubuntu and all the like are all bloated anymore

that's why i've gotten into learning Arch Linux

Exactly... that is why I prefer Arch or Debian testing. Rolling release are amazing

The fact that you can just use it and do suff on it, you know, without spending 10+ minutes setting up first or tweaking, or adding whatever obscure package you need to install the package you need to run the app :)

Hmm, Not trying to start a flame war here, but I kinda feel that fedora is quite bloated. What do you think guys?

ditto. ran like a dog on vmware player and the latest virtualbox. since like 3 or 4 versions ago. ubuntu's got the same as well. I recommend using LXDE if you want a blazing fast UI with no bloat. Debian+LXDE FTW!

Don't get me wrong, I can spend hours tweaking and playing and changing things up (usually in VirtualBox, though), but if the install on my default machine took 13 hours of optimizing, I'd consider getting a different machine.

Don't get me wrong, I can spend hours tweaking and playing and changing things up (usually in VirtualBox, though), but if the install on my default machine took 13 hours of optimizing, I'd consider getting a different machine.
If you provide me with one, I'll take it. But then again, you don't understood the type of optimization being done here... it's complete brute-force

(it's meant to take that long)

Pray tell, what exactly makes Fedora 'bloated'?

Ok, Lets say you are using Fedora + gnom3

1. softwares that I will never use

a. Built in Media Player, I prefer vlc

b. Stupid games

c. Paint

d. etc

2. Fedora in itself loads with tonnes of libs which are not required if you remove many of the apps. So rather than downing down i prefer building up.

In short the whole idea of a pre-packaged iso is something which I personally do not prefer.

Surely I would not mind Fedora - Net install (not sure if it exists, I haven't tried it yet)

The fact that you can just use it and do suff on it, you know, without spending 10+ minutes setting up first or tweaking, or adding whatever obscure package you need to install the package you need to run the app :)

As i said before, I am not flaming distro, i personally don't like it. If you build your system with Arch, you will realize that you will never need to upgrade your system of any distribution, all your settings will be one time and it will just upgrade on it. you will automatically get the most updated package and trust me arch is blazing fast. So those 10+ minutes would be well spent, as you won't have to tire yourself with it again, ever.

If you provide me with one, I'll take it. But then again, you don't understood the type of optimization being done here... it's complete brute-force

(it's meant to take that long)

Well, honestly I find it stupid. Please undertand that I don't mind building an LFS (if i figure out how and why of it), but as I said building it up is better than toning it down. It won't ever be perfect.

Try Arch or Debian on Wheezy/sid you will be much more satisfied.

• Like 1

Ok, Lets say you are using Fedora + gnom3

1. softwares that I will never use

a. Built in Media Player, I prefer vlc

b. Stupid games

c. Paint

d. etc

2. Fedora in itself loads with tonnes of libs which are not required if you remove many of the apps. So rather than downing down i prefer building up.

There is a menu which asks you if you want to customize the installed package in the first setup (so before it installs them).

Don't blame yourself for clicking "next", "next", and "next" without reading carefully plz.

There is a menu which asks you if you want to customize the installed package in the first setup (so before it installs them).

Don't blame yourself for clicking "next", "next", and "next" without reading carefully plz.

I suppose you think I clicked next next .. but here I am talking in terms of a default install. If i have to choose package manually why not go with Arch?

I suppose you think I clicked next next .. but here I am talking in terms of a default install. If i have to choose package manually why not go with Arch?

You are complaining about the fact that some games are coming with the default installation. You are free to remove them or do a single click to remove the "games" category at the first install.

Then, you argument is pointless, stop complaining about it because you are free to keep or remove thoses games at any time, and you can even skip their installation.

The default install is called "Desktop". Desktop comes with a default set of packages, like games, commonly found on desktops. If you choose Development along the install path for example, certain things are replaced with others. Games probably remain because we all know programmers need something to do while compiling, but you'll probably find office tools removed. Point is, you may not have to go to the package by package level... but you have that option.

But the average OOTB experience should include most of what's there. I also feel the need to remove things (extra wifi support on systems w/o wifi, etc), and true, like some other distros that have the option I wish for a bare GNOME install w/no added apps (Cheese, etc), but I don't expect Apache, MySQL and PHP to be available on OOTB install. And when I install Fedora, i'm typically doing it for a webserver or three. Or a VM server.

On topic:

Anyone figured out how to get Fedora 16 and Virtualbox to work with Gnome3? I have hardware acceleration enabled, well, basically same settings as my F15 VM that worked... I've read (and tried) setting selinux to permissive and restorecon to /opt after installing virtualbox tools, but no dice yet.

On topic:

Anyone figured out how to get Fedora 16 and Virtualbox to work with Gnome3? I have hardware acceleration enabled, well, basically same settings as my F15 VM that worked... I've read (and tried) setting selinux to permissive and restorecon to /opt after installing virtualbox tools, but no dice yet.

it's the same steps for 16 as it is for 15 to get gnome 3 working, except for whatever reason it's a bit quirky now. sometimes gnome 3 will work when you load the VM other times it won't, it's kinda hit and miss for whatever reason

So tell me do Fedora folks always for the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version. Because RAM limit isn't an issue with Linux, with PAE, even 32-bit can access up to 64 GB of RAM. Till Fedora 15, I used to download the 32-bit version because Flash Player 11 64-bit wasn't released. Now there's no reason not to get 64-bit right?

• 3 weeks later...

So tell me do Fedora folks always for the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version. Because RAM limit isn't an issue with Linux, with PAE, even 32-bit can access up to 64 GB of RAM. Till Fedora 15, I used to download the 32-bit version because Flash Player 11 64-bit wasn't released. Now there's no reason not to get 64-bit right?

Though I don't use Fedora! I don't think going for a 64bit version has any issues. I use Debian 64bit and I found it quite the usual!