Regarding Metro UI Concerns.

http://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.php?title=Metro_UI_Concerns

"People dislike change, especially when it?s a major overhaul of an everyday item, such as a computer running Windows." It's the unfortunate truth, which I find rather ironic, since I'd say if anything needs change on a regular basis, it would be technology. What most people find as, "Oh, it's what I'm used to," I find as, "the same s*** over & over again."

• Like 1

Microsoft like to give the user a lot of choice. If you want a tablet, a laptop, a netbook a desktop you can. You can build your own even, you can take a whole bunch of different components and combine them and build what you want. The operating system is also very customisable and Microsoft do not attempt to lock down things too much. They basically make the product sell it then once you have it do what you want.

Which is why this Metro thing is so confusing to me. It has little customisation and you can't deactivate it without modifying system files. No built in UI to just turn it off. It's a very "Apple" move to me. If you don't like it tough "you're holding it wrong" and all that good stuff. One size fits all in Microsoft's new Windows 8 world. I'm not really in to it and if I do decide to upgrade to Windows 8 I'll be deactivating Metro for sure.

Microsoft like to give the user a lot of choice. If you want a tablet, a laptop, a netbook a desktop you can. You can build your own even, you can take a whole bunch of different components and combine them and build what you want. The operating system is also very customisable and Microsoft do not attempt to lock down things too much. They basically make the product sell it then once you have it do what you want.

Which is why this Metro thing is so confusing to me. It has little customisation and you can't deactivate it without modifying system files. No built in UI to just turn it off. It's a very "Apple" move to me. If you don't like it tough "you're holding it wrong" and all that good stuff. One size fits all in Microsoft's new Windows 8 world. I'm not really in to it and if I do decide to upgrade to Windows 8 I'll be deactivating Metro for sure.

You see, I don't get why so many people have a problem with just using the Legacy UI in Win 8 & forgetting about Metro. If you REALLY hate Metro, you can do that, you know.

• Like 1

You see, I don't get why so many people have a problem with just using the Legacy UI in Win 8 & forgetting about Metro. If you REALLY hate Metro, you can do that, you know.

I'm more concerned for the Mom and Pop's of the world who were confused with the UI change from XP to 7.

I'm more concerned for the Mom and Pop's of the world who were confused with the UI change from XP to 7.

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not you agree with me.

If I had a Tablet I would like it. I do not, so Microsoft better give me a choice or I am with 7 for life.

That choice is the Legacy UI I mentioned already.

That too.

EDIT: You know what, can a mod lock this, it's just becoming a flame war.

No it's not. If you dont like it, then there's the back button :yes:

What?

EDIT: Oh, you mean it's not a flame war.

err wait. It's your thread.....oops. Lol

But still, the thread is still good. Nothing wrong with a good debate.

err wait. It's your thread.....oops. Lol

But still, the thread is still good. Nothing wrong with a good debate.

Sorry, it's just that I thought everyone was angry at me or something.

Sorry, it's just that I thought everyone was angry at me or something.

Who's everyone? There has only been 2 other people in the thread. Lol

I don't hate you. I hate metro. When I said burn it with fire, I meant burn metro with fire, duh!

Who's everyone? There has only been 2 other people in the thread. Lol

I don't hate you. I hate metro. When I said burn it with fire, I meant burn metro with fire, duh!

xD

For me it's not a matter of not liking change. I liked it when Apple switched to Aqua from Platinum. I thought Aero looked heaps better than anything else Microsoft ever released. I'm loving the overhaul Aqua received with OS X Lion. On top of that I think Metro looks great on a phone.

I just think Metro makes no sense on a conventional PC.

For me it's not a matter of not liking change. I liked it when Apple switched to Aqua from Platinum. I thought Aero looked heaps better than anything else Microsoft ever released. I'm loving the overhaul Aqua received with OS X Lion. On top of that I think Metro looks great on a phone.

I just think Metro makes no sense on a conventional PC.

Agreed. I think it's great on a mobile device or a tablet because of the UI's touch-friendliness but not so great on a PC. I really hope Microsoft offers the option to disable it in the release version of Windows 8.

They won't, and likely by the final release of 8, they will probably have removed deprecated start menu files as well so the registry hack won't work.

Ad for warwaon worrying about the moms and pops. Well in my experience they've all transitioned to 7 just fine with nomhelp. Though they may not use all the fancy functions, they generally operate it better than xp since vista and 7 where designed to be easier to operate and configure than XP, though it may require more clicks, stuff is more logical and self explanatory.

As for Metro, same thing, only more. It's designed to be easy to use, and it is. It's simply plain obvious, just like anyone is able to operate a WP7 phone right away.

And the start screen works just as well as the start menu for power users who optimize their shortcuts and use the search anyway. The only difference is visual.

Personally I really like the Metro UI. Its clean, sophisticated and minimal.

But for those who don't like it, can of course use the legacy one which, in my opinion, is a choice given to the users by Microsoft, which is rare these days

They won't, and likely by the final release of 8, they will probably have removed deprecated start menu files as well so the registry hack won't work.

I can't see that happening, if it does you can bet any amount of money people will use Classic Shell, or brand new Start-Menu replications. If MS Remove it, it would be a major strike against moving to Windows 8.

Ad for warwaon worrying about the moms and pops. Well in my experience they've all transitioned to 7 just fine with nomhelp. Though they may not use all the fancy functions, they generally operate it better than xp since vista and 7 where designed to be easier to operate and configure than XP, though it may require more clicks, stuff is more logical and self explanatory.

Windows XP to 7 was a minor jump, you could change 7 to look nearly on par with XP. Windows 8.. not so much.. can't just flip a switch and be back to a real desktop.

As for Metro, same thing, only more. It's designed to be easy to use, and it is. It's simply plain obvious, just like anyone is able to operate a WP7 phone right away.

Right, it's easy to use on a a phone, I had a hell of a time trying to find things on the W8 Dev Preview on the checker board of a home screen.

Android uses typical desktop style.. it's super easy to use..right away. My Parents who had used non-smart phones for as long as cell phones were viable.. got the HTC Sensation S [the new one], both were texting, watching youttube, downloading apps, pretty much right away. So just because an interface is easy to use, doesn't mean everyone likes it.

There are a bunch of WP7 style launchers for Android, tried a couple, and didn't like them. They felt the exact same as when I was playing with the HD7 when considering what phone to buy.

And the start screen works just as well as the start menu for power users who optimize their shortcuts and use the search anyway. The only difference is visual.

I consider myself a power user.. though I guess it depends what you are considering as power user. Just installing the apps I commonly use (not all of them) filled up my screen and I was hunting for things. With the Windows 7 desktop I can have hundreds (did a count a little while ago, had 50 icons).. 50 icons would explode the W8 screen, and would take me far longer to find what I want.

So yes the difference may be visual, but depending on how you use a computer, it could actually slow you down, or make things more difficult to use. Especially on a non-touch device.

Also, I often have 5, 6, 7, 8 windows open at one time. The only way it seems to get that is to use the regular desktop. I use dual screens, so I often have a web browser open on one screen, and an app, or a game open on the other.. but W8 in their full screen nonsense makes that difficult (in my opinion). I rarely maximize screens, the last thing I want is everything in the "METRO" side to be full screen. And what doesn't use metro is bumping me to a regular desktop anyways.. so I find the tiled thing pointless for people like me that use most of the power in their pc's.

The Metro UI in the Dev Preview is far from finished. I'm sure there will be tons of customization options by the time it ships. My bet is there will also be a menu for disabling it without resorting to a registry hack. Metro works great for home and tablet users, but I just don't see it working in a corporate environment. Microsoft would alienate a whole lot of customers by forcing it on everyone.

• Like 2

The Metro UI in the Dev Preview is far from finished. I'm sure there will be tons of customization options by the time it ships. My bet is there will also be a menu for disabling it without resorting to a registry hack. Metro works great for home and tablet users, but I just don't see it working in a corporate environment. Microsoft would alienate a whole lot of customers by forcing it on everyone.

This is what people said about the Ribbon UI when it was introduced in Office 2007 but, with the right training or a little practice, business power users love it.