Windows XP SP3 support end date?

This only started because a poster was saying it'll be extended for whatever reason. I was simply stating reasons why it will not.

Support for anything Windows XP will end, come April 2014. No SP4, no extensions on life, nothing (Which answers the OP's question).

What is funny, is that even though that number looks/seems low, xp is still the second most used os next to windows 7 on the internet. Microsoft total owns ~80% of the marketshare. xp dropping below 50 means little. xp and 7 are neck and neck, 7 will soon get a big jump on xp. total market share percentages mean little, you have to compare with products from the same company. Your argument sucks, and even more on the bad argument, xp has been around for how long and it took how long to knock it off the top spot....that says something right there. How long after 7 was released before xp lost to windows 7...windows 8 is under 1 year away.

As old as it is it is still supported. When people turn retire their 5+ year old computers they will get win7 or 8.

Thing is, they can refuse to keep supporting it is fine, they can phase it out from that aspect if they must, but they're ****ing off a lot of their customer base by doing so--and it still won't incite a lot of folks to switch, they'll just go on with a vulnerable OS, and make the internet a less nice place overall. It's really in their best interest to continue, since few of those who have decided not to switch would actually change their minds anyway, so it's not like they are losing money. And in a way, they can give themselves a pat on the back, and be glad they made such a nice product to which people are so loyal. Old isn't always bad.

thats good news... we need a SP4 just to make it easier for IT staff and tech support to do compilation updates at least....

not from microsoft.. but i would keep my eye out for third party roll-up service packs... maybe some completely integrated install discs too.

Comparing cars to operating systems is like comparing the lifespan of a fly to the lifespan of a human.

Operating systems are here and gone in a matter of a few years. To continue to fight for XP is futile. It's no longer "supported" by Microsoft, and it's not even the majority anymore.

true. if we used IE6 as a proxy for current Windows XP installs, although it's probably a low-ball number, we can see where in the world XP is still most installed and why..

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

judging from the map it's probably mostly all chinese pirate installs.

THe only thing I could think of is program compatibility. And even that isn't an excuse. Home users should be off Xp completely at this point. Mainly for their safety. XP has deplorable security.

XP works fine for this home user. When it dies I will upgrade to the next avaiable system be it 7 or 8. Unless you wish to donate to the cause and upgrade me now..

While I agree that many people are "dragging their feet" and trying to avoid the inevitable, there are valid reasons for businesses to still be using Windows XP. Heck, there are still valid reasons for a home user to continue using XP.

Heck, there are still valid reasons for a home user to continue using XP."

Yes, there are as there is NOTHING wrong with XP, which is why MS is supporting it for so long. They're not as stupid as they seem to be sometimes! Now you know why you never hear them mention Vista also!!

What some of you fail to realise is the fact that most home users tend to stick to the OS which came with the PC. XP will go away, yes. But slowly as hardware is phased out. In many cases it isn't going to be replaced by Win7/8 either; I'd venture to guess that significant numbers of users will replace their Windows PC by a tablet - be it iPad or Android tablet. It remains to be seen which impact Windows 8 tablets will make.

I dont know where these people are getting their market share info from, but this was as of October 2011

http://www.netmarket...=10&qpcustomd=0

for all oses including mobile

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=

has a nice little pie chart that shows who is and who isn't the majority leader.

And what is the margin of error? As far as I am concerned right now they are neck and neck, +/- 1-5% is a resonable margin of error being that statcounter is not on every web server in the world.

What some of you fail to realise is the fact that most home users tend to stick to the OS which came with the PC. XP will go away, yes. But slowly as hardware is phased out. In many cases it isn't going to be replaced by Win7/8 either; I'd venture to guess that significant numbers of users will replace their Windows PC by a tablet - be it iPad or Android tablet. It remains to be seen which impact Windows 8 tablets will make.

Mephistopheles, unlikely voice of reason... ;)

Happy birthday btw!

Btw every single update can be slipsteamed into XP setup using the /integrate switch - no need for any additional software. So even if takes 30 minutes to install XP compared to 15 minutes for W7, it can be a fully updated setup if you install a fully slipstreamed build and update it on patch tuesdays. Compared to Windows 7 where service packs cannot be slipstreamed and integrated media is only available legally to MSDN/Technet subscribers. Plus Windows 7 updates take hours to install instead of a couple of minutes which XP updates did.

I still know plenty of users who still use XP and are happy with it and don't want to switch anytime soon. If a user is happy with XP, then why force a change?

Dot Matrix: i am glad there ain't many users like you because you limit the customers options and force them into buying things which they may not need. I offer full support for ALL oses and i don't limit the customer.

I still know plenty of users who still use XP and are happy with it and don't want to switch anytime soon. If a user is happy with XP, then why force a change?

Dot Matrix: i am glad there ain't many users like you because you limit the customers options and force them into buying things which they may not need. I offer full support for ALL oses and i don't limit the customer.

because it drags down everyone else with them. Developers continue to have to test and make sure software works with XP. Developers need to be mindful that that that the user could still be conceivably using Internet Explorer 6 for one reason or another. It's limited IPV6 options will harm the user when the necessary upgrade comes.

Well it would appear that this is just another one of those "XP vs Win 7" threads.

I will call it tie at this point. Use the OS that makes you happy, and if you cannot afford it then you can. . .

THe only thing I could think of is program compatibility. And even that isn't an excuse. Home users should be off Xp completely at this point. Mainly for their safety. XP has deplorable security.

Hardware compatibility also. Neighbor just got a new laptop with Win7 and no drivers available for her printer. There are ways to help with security . . .

Anyway, on topic, I believe the OPs question was answered.

Hardware compatibility also. Neighbor just got a new laptop with Win7 and no drivers available for her printer. There are ways to help with security . . .

Anyway, on topic, I believe the OPs question was answered.

this must be one OLD printer then, I have an old 2003 printer that works just fine with Win 7

XP in enterprise will be supported well beyond 2014 as Microsoft will be forced to extend support at least until 2016.

You're full of ****. XP dies in April 2014. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Live with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

According to this, it's 2014, and several other sources on the web cite the same. I would believe it. I mean, that makes XP 13 years old. :|

There's pro's and con's to everything. At the end of the day, technology will continue to change, and whether or not we like it eventually support for old stuff will end. How many people still get software support for their old TRS-80 or Tandy Color Computer? :p

if you cannot afford it then you can. . .

MS was giving away unlimited licenses for 20$ for win7 under the student program. affordability is never an issue when you're talking on neowin i snagged 8 licenses each for x86 and x64 ;-)i think the enterprises want MS to pay them to upgrade to anything beyond WinXP... as it should be ROFL. i want my $20 back and i want my 5 years of experimenting with longhorn vista and seven back too!Glad XP will be supported for next 3-5 years officially.

this must be one OLD printer then, I have an old 2003 printer that works just fine with Win 7

Just moved from XP (exactly 10 years old, October 2001 ThinkPad) to Windows 7, and my Canon's LaserBase AIO printer/fax/scanner... doesn't have a scanner driver. So it is now a piece of junk that cost hundreds of $$$.