Windows XP SP3 support end date?

Just moved from XP (exactly 10 years old, October 2001 ThinkPad) to Windows 7, and my Canon's LaserBase AIO printer/fax/scanner... doesn't have a scanner driver. So it is now a piece of junk that cost hundreds of $$$.

that doesn't make sense, why would just the scanner not have a working driver?

p.s. now a days you can buy an all-in-one printer for under $100 so I doubt you couldn't afford a new printer if you have enough to buy a new PC

that doesn't make sense, why would just the scanner not have a working driver?

p.s. now a days you can buy an all-in-one printer for under $100 so I doubt you couldn't afford a new printer if you have enough to buy a new PC

why junk something that already works and was bought for lots of $$$ and spend $100 above that? I mean that is such an environment friendly bank balance friendly idea no? Jeez... this attitude just doesn't sit right with me - life out of control, just conform to whatever is happening in the world, powerless pretenders.

why junk something that already works and was bought for lots of $$$ and spend $100 above that? I mean that is such an environment friendly bank balance friendly idea no? Jeez... this attitude just doesn't sit right with me - life out of control, just conform to whatever is happening in the world, powerless pretenders.

idk, from my experience ink cartridges tend to be cheaper for the newer printers, so you end up saving over time anyway

idk, from my experience ink cartridges tend to be cheaper for the newer printers, so you end up saving over time anyway

i'm sure ....... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

i'm sure ....... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

now you're just being a jerk, I was just trying to make a suggestion

Just put it this way, by 2014, we'll have Windows 7 and Windows 8 out on the market, and i'm sure by then we'll also have a Windows 9 D.P. and/or beta to salivitate over. Hell, maybe it will have been finalized by then too. What makes you think Microsoft will give two cents about XP at that point?

Hardware compatibility is a bitch, but with certain hardware, aka printers, fax machines, and scanners, it's a risk you have to take. Those 3 are the biggest PITAs in the tech business, and because of that, I, personally refuse to buy one. I am always able to take my documents and print them off elsewhere.

Just put it this way, by 2014, we'll have Windows 7 and Windows 8 out on the market, and i'm sure by then we'll also have a Windows 9 D.P. and/or beta to salivitate over. Hell, maybe it will have been finalized by then too. What makes you think Microsoft will give two cents about XP at that point?

Hardware compatibility is a bitch, but with certain hardware, aka printers, fax machines, and scanners, it's a risk you have to take. Those 3 are the biggest PITAs in the tech business, and because of that, I, personally refuse to buy one. I am always able to take my documents and print them off elsewhere.

if you do buy a printer/fax/scanner ect. buy an HP, they support those things forever

What some of you fail to realise is the fact that most home users tend to stick to the OS which came with the PC. XP will go away, yes. But slowly as hardware is phased out. In many cases it isn't going to be replaced by Win7/8 either; I'd venture to guess that significant numbers of users will replace their Windows PC by a tablet - be it iPad or Android tablet. It remains to be seen which impact Windows 8 tablets will make.

i partially agree. i think people have massive migration fatigue, windows 8 will bomb on this single account. that will set off a chain reaction where forward migration from windows xp to 7 will come to a grinding halt. Either people will stick with windows 7 or reverse migration and large scale downgrades will begin. The entire MS OS market will then revolve around WinXP as people look at alternatives and then tablets with other OSes will start becoming the main thing in consumer market and business market will get stuck at XP. Most likely XP will live a long long long life. Another 10 years esp in businesses... i won't be surprised.

<Snipped>

Edited by Anaron

You're full of ****. XP dies in April 2014. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Live with it.

That's nice. It's been said before, though, and still hasn't happened yet...

You don't like anyone who doesn't agree with your love of XP :D :D

I have yet to find a piece of hardware that doesn't work on Windows 7, at work we have a old canon all-in-one which works wonderfully well with 7. XP support ends in 2014. Hopefully people will have seen the light and moved on by then!

That's nice. It's been said before, though, and still hasn't happened yet...

Get back to me in April 2014. If XP isn't retired then, I'll happily admit I was wrong. It'll be a 13 year old operating system at that time. XP is already long outdated. Would you use Windows 98 as your primary OS now in 2011? I thought not. That's like what using XP in 2014 will be like.

i partially agree. i think people have massive migration fatigue, windows 8 will bomb on this single account. that will set off a chain reaction where forward migration from windows xp to 7 will come to a grinding halt. Either people will stick with windows 7 or reverse migration and large scale downgrades will begin. The entire MS OS market will then revolve around WinXP as people look at alternatives and then tablets with other OSes will start becoming the main thing in consumer market and business market will get stuck at XP. Most likely XP will live a long long long life. Another 10 years esp in businesses... i won't be surprised.

Why the Hell would people downgrade to XP??? You're smoking something. The uptake in WIndows 7 isn't going to halt.

If users don't want Windows 8, they'll get Windows 7 or nothing. No one in their right mind would downgrade to decaying infrastructure. If not already, it will soon start to hurt them, as the world around them moves on.

this must be one OLD printer then, I have an old 2003 printer that works just fine with Win 7

And I've seen some from early 2006 that didn't work with Vista or 7 because the manufacturer never released updated drivers for it, and never released ANY 64-bit drivers at all. Things like that can really be hit or miss, depending on the manufacturer and model of the printer (or some other hardware). And if a person has an older printer that still works fine, and still has toner/ink available, why should they upgrade it? It isn't as if printer technology has advanced anywhere near as fast as computers themselves over the last decade or two.

I have yet to find a piece of hardware that doesn't work on Windows 7

You must not have looked very hard then. When doing upgrades for people, I've come across lots of stuff that doesn't work with anything past XP because the manufacturers never bothered to release updated drivers (even for stuff released AFTER Vista!!). Good working hardware that has now been relegated to the trash pile because it simply because it got left behind in driver support.

You must not have looked very hard then. When doing upgrades for people, I've come across lots of stuff that doesn't work with anything past XP because the manufacturers never bothered to release updated drivers (even for stuff released AFTER Vista!!). Good working hardware that has now been relegated to the trash pile because it simply because it got left behind in driver support.

Are those manufacturers even still around? I had to trash hardware myself because A.) No driver support and B.) No more manufacturer.

Cheaper ink, but smaller cartridges for the ones I've seen, so not much difference.

Are those manufacturers even still around? I had to trash hardware myself because A.) No driver support and B.) No more manufacturer.

Some Dlink Wifi adapters (USB in particular), certain HP printers, some Creative sound cards, several Logitech trackballs (they work, but not with all of their features). Those are just a few off the top of my head.

My printer (HP DeskJet 6122) doesn't have Windows 7 driver support. I have to force Windows to install the driver for a 990c. Everything works more or less, but you're missing most of the advanced features and 1200DPI settings... But hey, it works.

Aside that very unlucky example I haven't found any hardware to be incompatible with Windows 7 at all.

Windows 8 on the other hand... I had a go with the Developer Preview on my laptop and couldn't even get the video drivers to work. None of the 3-4 variations that work on 7.

enterprises and businesses have no interest in fixing stuff that aint broke, xp will carry on here since otherwise it cuts into their profits. 8 doesn't look worth much for enterprises.

OS specially 7 and 8 are not really going to give MS much leverage in the market, XP will, at least more than 7 or 8. Perhaps more than OS, MS office will become the bread and butter of MS, maybe MS office 2012 for android tablets if win8 bombs which it will more than likely except for the glazy eyed fan boys on whom the magic of marketing works anytime and everytime

enterprises and businesses have no interest in fixing stuff that aint broke, xp will carry on here since otherwise it cuts into their profits. 8 doesn't look worth much for enterprises.

OS specially 7 and 8 are not really going to give MS much leverage in the market, XP will, at least more than 7 or 8. Perhaps more than OS, MS office will become the bread and butter of MS, maybe MS office 2012 for android tablets if win8 bombs which it will more than likely except for the glazy eyed fan boys on whom the magic of marketing works anytime and everytime

This post is nonsense, like the rest of your pro-XP posts.

"Enterprises and businesses" as you put it, that haven't migrated from XP yet will do so by April 2014 or risk running an unsupported dinosaur of an operating system, which is what many of the ones that were running on Windows 2000 did last year when it was retired.

Windows XP will be retired on April 8, 2014. If you don't want to accept that, too bad for you.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rolleyes: . . .sorry the devil made me do it. . . :devil:

Enterprises will be wholly off XP by 2014. Sorry buddy. But XP is a dinosaur, that won't be able to be run on native hardware anymore.