Windows XP SP3 support end date?

Enterprises will be wholly off XP by 2014. Sorry buddy. But XP is a dinosaur, that won't be able to be run on native hardware anymore.

Mr troll who makes a special account for trolling just on this topic. oh how honored we are knowing his grand visions! Oh prophet give us your expiry date too :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mr troll who makes a special account for trolling just on this topic. oh how honored we are with his trolling and knowing his grand visions! Oh prophet give us your expiry date too ;-)

He's right to an extent. Hardware support will disappear for XP, providing another reason for enterprises to move. That said, if they're stubborn enough to still be on XP by the time hardware support has completely disappeared then they'll be stubborn enough to go and find the old hardware that does support it.

This is becoming ridiculous. Support will not be extended beyond 2014. It's already been extended once (was it just "once"? I can't remember now) for 2014.

unless retina display ultrabooks with win8 os can replace enterprise workstations 2014 deadline will be extended. and since these ultrabooks are mainly oriented towards consumers what is the hardware roadmap for enterprises to make them go off XP? nada! so the deadline is definitely not in stone at this point and is likely to get extended by a couple of years.

unless retina display ultrabooks with win8 os can replace enterprise workstations 2014 deadline will be extended. and since these ultrabooks are mainly oriented towards consumers what is the hardware roadmap for enterprises to make them go off XP? nada! so the deadline is definitely not in stone at this point and is likely to get extended by a couple of years.

I think you're taking your love of XP a bit far. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in the camp for making an argument about people keeping it if they want to, but this deadline is pretty much it. By 2014 XP will be unsupported, and people will either have to move on or deal with having no support and using outdated hardware.

If Windows 8 doesn't tickle the fancy of businesses, they'll fall back to or actually upgrade to Windows 7. Very few machines will be running XP by 2014. Windows 7 uptake will continue to that point and more than likely past that point as well. But the truth of the matter is that, as more and more people upgrade at home, than so will businesses. And since Windows 7 is the only Windows OS consumers can obtain, then the only way to go is up. People love using what they have at home, at work, so expect to see pent up demand for Windows 7 in the last of the XP holdouts.

And yes, hardware is moving beyond XP - multi-core/thread processors, DX10/11 GFX chipsets, DDR3/4/5 RAM - in a few years XP isn't going to know what that is. The biggest change will be to ARM chips. Good luck running XP on that.

I think you're taking your love of XP a bit far. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in the camp for making an argument about people keeping it if they want to, but this deadline is pretty much it. By 2014 XP will be unsupported, and people will either have to move on or deal with having no support and using outdated hardware.

you noticed that just now? :D

If Windows 8 doesn't tickle the fancy of businesses, they'll fall back to or actually upgrade to Windows 7. Very few machines will be running XP by 2014. Windows 7 uptake will continue to that point and more than likely past that point as well. But the truth of the matter is that, as more and more people upgrade at home, than so will businesses. And since Windows 7 is the only Windows OS consumers can obtain, then the only way to go is up. People love using what they have at home, at work, so expect to see pent up demand for Windows 7 in the last of the XP holdouts.

And yes, hardware is moving beyond XP - multi-core/thread processors, DX10/11 GFX chipsets, DDR3/4/5 RAM - in a few years XP isn't going to know what that is. The biggest change will be to ARM chips. Good luck running XP on that.

Windows 8 is part of the equation in a big way if it fails MS business will change dramatically, businesses will still have no incentive to upgrade from xp to 7 - if it aint broke dont fix it. yes sure if MS pays them or subsidizes the move for both software and hardware in a big big way, which wont happen. This will only result in enterprises overshooting the 2014 (which half of them say they will do) deadline and keep their systems running with 3rd party support. MS needs these enterprises not the other way around. MS most likely will extend support in this scenario and to keep things harmonious there will likely be a support fee beyond a year or two after 2014. Enterprises are never shy of running outdated hardware, least of all during a recession combined with MS having no hardware road map (exciting or otherwise) for them to get off XP.

LOL! Windows XP has 27% market share in North America, while Windows 7 has over 42% ALREADY. XP has 30% market share in Europe, while Windows 7 has 43%. Windows XP's share is dropping at a rapid pace.

At this rate, XP will have 15% share by 2012, less than 5% by 2013 and less than 1% by 2014.

LOL! When XP support ends in 2014, no one will even notice, because NO ONE will be using it any more. LOL!

^LOL. That was one of the most misinformed articles I have ever read. Windows XP has lost over 30% market share in the last 2 years. Windows 7 has sold 450 million copies in that period. Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS of all time. Windows 7 has taken Windows users' satisfaction rate ahead of Mac OS.

All this has clearly proved people simply HATE XP and LOVE Windows 7. That's why XP has less than 30% market share, and going down at the speed of light... no, at the speed of neutrino.

Oh brother, just let it go already. XP is going to die whether you want it to or not. If people want to risk using past 2014, that's on them, but one way or another XP will in the short term, be regulated to the history books.

I remember after installing SP3 for XP it was so sluggish that I reverted back to SP2. That 74% of businesses that still use XP info was from July 2010 ?. I'm guessing thats gone down a bit since then. Even the dumpy place I work at finally went to 7.

XP support should have ended the day Windows7 hit the market, end of question, to most users there is no valid reason to continue using such an antiquated piece of software

so xp users can sip some soda and relax another 3 years at minimum and if MVP Arun Kumar is to be believed 5 years and if Thurrott is to be believed take it easy to the point of forgetting the issue of upgrading for a decade. pretty long time even at the stingiest estimate.

I can't tell if you're just trolling now, or if you actually believe Microsoft is going to resurrect 10 14 year old outdated technology.

Let's entertain that idea for *just* a second. What do you think you're going to get? You think all of a sudden IE9, Office 15, DX10/11, Direct3D, and other Microsoft technologies will work on it?

im on topic you're still trolling as you have been from the 1st post and this account which you created for trolling on this topic.

getting a general consensus of how long it will last. 3 years it seems. and if business users and experts opinion is taken in 5 years. Fringe predictions say longer.

id say xp users can stay out of the heavy mess of OS wars and hardware wars for quiet some time since XP accomplishes everything very beautifully and effectively save time and did i say save some money on the way. and did i say avoid avoid avoid lots of headaches ;-)

your opinion is your opinion and your belief in those must be true! i couldn't care less or other xp users.

plus it doesn't change the fact xp will be supported for a long time. 3 years at minimum, likely 5 years minimum maybe much longer, oh yeahhhhhhh if that comes true ;-) and xp users can take it easy whether they be home or office. thats not even my belief or opinion but infact experts are saying that.

plus the best benefit for xp users is they can watch the hardware and software wars unfold from the sides and at the end of 5 years hop on to whatever software and hardware platform wins.

its by golly the best time to be on XP ;-)

<p><p>Will microsoft die fighting XP??

http://www.brighthub...les/126642.aspx

"The love story of XP will continue for years to come. My estimate is another five years at minimum ("gurus" put it at three). As of now, Windows 7 and Windows XP make a nice combination. Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows XP would also make a nice combination on computers"

Also, I would like to draw your attention to the biggest mistake Microsoft made while continuing to experiment with its GUI based operating systems. It discontinued the MS-DOS line of operating systems, which if present now, would have given a tough challenge to Linux and more in addition to Windows. I guess Microsoft too thought of MS-DOS as an obstacle to the success of Windows. Anyway, that is a different story.

As far as I know, Windows XP was not built from scratch. Microsoft took the framework of already existing Windows NT (for networks), and developed it for a variety of functions ? each one of which, worked "really". XP came out in October, 2001 and still runs on many computers worldwide, especially in countries outside US and Canada.

What on Earth is this nonsense? MS-DOS would have given a tough challenge to Linux? Seriously?

The "AFAIK Windows XP was not built from scratch" paragraph should mark the end of the author's MVP status. No MVP should be that uninformed.

XP will be dead in 2014 ; China will keep using it, some small businesses will keep using it, but that's all. The support was already extended once, and Microsoft wants to kill both XP and IE6.

No, that's not a "fact" that XP is going to be supported for 5 years minimum likely. There is ZERO chance of XP being officially supported beyond 2014. Mind you, XP "regular" support ended a LONG time ago. It is in extended support mode. Which means it is not receiving no new software. XP doesn't run IE9. Some people were begging Microsoft to release IE9 for XP. Some predicted Microsoft would be forced to backport IE9 to XP within 6 months. But none of that has happened. Microsoft COMPLETELY ignored the pathetic XP users.

Get over it. XP has less than 27% share and it going down faster than neutrinos.

LOL! There are NO home XP users any more. ALL of XP users are business users who are getting off XP at a record pace. That's why XP has a 27% market share -- it had 70% just 2 years ago. XP will have less than 15% by 2012 and less than 1% by 2014.

So XP has ALREADY died. It will be buried and forgotten by the time official support ends. No one will even bother reporting it then. Why? Because XP is a COMPLETELY unusable, insecure, slow and ugly OS.

Really? So I don't have 2 PC's running XP Home here at my house?

And a spare in the loft that also runs XP.

Wonder what OS i'm actually using then.

guys (aethec etc.) you're calling for experts to be stripped off their status so your opinion can win i mean it doesn't get more pathetic except england_fanboy outdoes it with his remarkable emotional outbursts which almost look like someone threw him under the truck and he is shrieking out in pain at the max capacity of his lungs ROFL. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

now now 3 years at minimum is a marvelously long time for a OS released in 2001. I'd celebrate it and after 3-5 years say cheers again for enjoying this wonderful OS and avoiding the headaches which we're going through since vista launched and which will intensify with ultrabooks and tablets and android and win8 fighting it out.

its going to be just awesome to wait this out.!!!! 3 years should be more than enough to decide the winner and stabilize computing as XP did :rolleyes:

statcounterosdkmonthly2.jpg

LOL! In many countries like Denmark, XP now has less than 20% usage share.

sugar the topic is number of years the support will last. the topic isnt XPs market share. thanks a bunch for your contribution.

Hardware compatibility also. Neighbor just got a new laptop with Win7 and no drivers available for her printer. There are ways to help with security . . .

Anyway, on topic, I believe the OPs question was answered.

Compatibility mode..xp service pack 3 ... In properties . Man I was a bit slow to respond..

guys (aethec etc.) you're calling for experts to be stripped off their status so your opinion can win i mean it doesn't get more pathetic except england_fanboy outdoes it with his remarkable emotional outbursts which almost look like someone threw him under the truck and he is shrieking out in pain at the max capacity of his lungs ROFL. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

now now 3 years at minimum is a marvelously long time for a OS released in 2001. I'd celebrate it and after 3-5 years say cheers again for enjoying this wonderful OS and avoiding the headaches which we're going through since vista launched and which will intensify with ultrabooks and tablets and android and win8 fighting it out.

its going to be just awesome to wait this out.!!!! 3 years should be more than enough to decide the winner and stabilize computing as XP did :rolleyes:

And you argue every single point, accuse other of creating account just to post on this pathetic flame bating thread started by YOU just so you can declare YOUR dying love for what will end up been 14 year old technology when it deservedly dies! You even suggested to someone who had a small issue with his PC to format and install XP as a solution when clearly that kind of action WASN'T required!

Keep trolling for the next 3 years and when XP gets put in it's coffin we will see who is still smiling!