Are Americans really this prude?!?

Stoffel

Don't ask me how I ended up on here

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/17/tori-spelling-boobs-twitter/3/#comments-anchor

But I started reading the comments and i can't believe how many people think this is a horrible thing to do?

I think all of them are over reacting but maybe I'm just the weird one thinking this is not a big deal

What do you think

Ambroos

Americans are prude, very. (edit: on average, compared to other countries)

Belgian television only censors heavy violence and hard sex, for example. You won't hear a single swear word beep, and there is nothing wrong with some boobies (and ***** and dick) now and then :) makes for healthy relaxed people in my opinion. I say more boobies (and I'm gay, hah!)!

• Like 3
giantsnyy

No... it's how most of our people are. They're anti-everything when it comes to sex, nudity, etc.

It's one of the reasons I'm tired of living in this country.

Ambroos... I agree... more boobies.

Stoffel

I see absolutely no issue with a parent being naked in front of there kids

That's why I was so confused by the reactions

Hey Ambroos, I'm also from Belgium, but haven't lived there for over 5 years

Shadrack

Americans are extremely prudish. A picture like that could have CYFD (my states local child protective services) knocking on your door. It is pretty sad how people equate this kind of irrational prudishness with godliness/high morals. Any time a body part comes up Americans are like OMG SEX! Which is ridiculous.

• Like 2
nukenorman

Having lived in both Europe and USA I can say Americans are very prude. Just look at the laws and way of life there. For example in many parts of Florida where people go for vacation and relax in the tropical climate you cant even make out with your girlfriend on the beach. This would never happen in a European country as it would be a violation of personal freedom.

Plus they are very anti nudidty and alot of other things that I can not come to think of..

When I was in Europe I could feel life was more relaxed and people where not prude like in America. Was more of a feeling of freedom and I wouldnt be struck down for voiceing my opinion like I was in the USA.

Also in Europe you dont have to worry about the police beating you up like in the USA over a simple traffic stop.

Southern Patriot

Why am I not surprised to see people here painting all 300 million + Americans as being the same. Newsflash: Americans are far more diverse than people of any other single country on Earth. Now stop generalizing about everyone here. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
nohone

We are not prudish. We just don't want to see Torri Spelling naked. Oh the horror.

Shadrack

Why am I not surprised to see people here painting all 300 million + Americans as being the same. Newsflash: Americans are far more diverse than people of any other single country on Earth. Now stop generalizing about everyone here. :rolleyes:

There are generalizations and then there are social norms and even laws. In terms of social norms and laws, we American are very prudish. If you don't think so then you obviously have never left the country or have only visited the middle east or something.

Stoffel

We are not prudish. We just don't want to see Torri Spelling naked. Oh the horror.

Well then don't look at the picture, but the fact that she shows her boobs to her kids should not be an issue

nukenorman

Remeber back at the super bowl when the one singers breast showed for a split second on live national TV and eveyrone in America had an uproar about it?

Just shows how prude they are. Big deal its a human body part.

Im waiting on black friday when everyone uploads the videos on youtube of Americans on black Friday running into the retail stores like Animals.

It is a society based on greed wehre 44 milion Americans go without healthcare as a human right and also no right to a paid vacation in USA.

Studies have shown that being prude and greedy have simular traits. This sums up the USA quite well!

http://20somethingfi...ivity-vacation/

• Like 1
zhangm

OMG, someone said boob. Call the cops!

Yes, Americans make nudity into this sort of artificial "problem". To be fair though, turning trivial things into huge issues is not particularly limited to the US.

HawkMan

Newsflash: Americans are far more diverse than people of any other single country on Earth.

Yeah, that was true in the 1800's, today, not so much.

• Like 3
Simon-

I think it is a fair call if the wife doesn't want her boobs plastered all over the internet, but there is nothing more to it than that, and clearly an accident.

HellboundIRL

It looks like she recently gave birth and was probably breast feeding, I love it when people go crazy over something so simple and natural....nutjobs.

Soulsiphon

ROFL! Seriously! It's like staring into the sun.

Stoffel

It looks like she recently gave birth and was probably breast feeding, I love it when people go crazy over something so simple and natural....nutjobs.

Even if she didn't just have a baby and wasn't breastfeeding, what is so bad about your child seeing your boobs?????

It's a natural thing should we really be ashamed of our bodies this much???

Soulsiphon

You're probably not surprised by the OP for the same reason I'm not: most of our international neighbors here @Neowin don't really know anything about American's at all. If they did threads like this wouldn't get started. I think nohone said it best!

On a side note for the OP: tmz? really?

Stoffel

You're probably not surprised by the OP for the same reason I'm not: most of our international neighbors here @Neowin don't really know anything about American's at all. If they did threads like this wouldn't get started. I think nohone said it best!

On a side note for the OP: tmz? really?

You can say what you want but the general consensus about americans is that they are pretty prude. I'm not saying you are all the same but do i have to remind you about nipplegate? So much uproar about a single nipple on tv for a split second.

Same on this post about Tori Spelling, If you read the majority of the comments they are just sad

BlueScreenOfDeath

Because they're good at it... don't want us criticizing them but they have no problem doing it to us.

Well then don't look at the picture, but the fact that she shows her boobs to her kids should not be an issue

Well maybe if dean wasn't an idiot and realized it before he tweeted it that his wife's boobs were right there in obvious site we wouldn't be subjected to seeing it all over the headlines.

Soulsiphon

You can say what you want but the general consensus about americans is that they are pretty prude. I'm not saying you are all the same but do i have to remind you about nipplegate? So much uproar about a single nipple on tv for a split second.

Same on this post about Tori Spelling, If you read the majority of the comments they are just sad

Haters are just sad :( That said, the general consensus about non-Americans that take TMZ as the representative spirit of American values is that they are complete and utter morons.

Wolfbane

Because they're good at it... don't want us criticizing them but they have no problem doing it to us.

I haven't got a problem with you criticising my country, how about you go first? Oh, that's right, you probably couldn't even find most countries outside of North America on a map (without help), let alone know anything to criticise them for (again, without help).
Southern Patriot

There are generalizations and then there are social norms and even laws. In terms of social norms and laws, we American are very prudish. If you don't think so then you obviously have never left the country or have only visited the middle east or something.

FYI, I've been to well over a dozen different countries, and set foot on every continent other than South America and Antarctica.

Remeber back at the super bowl when the one singers breast showed for a split second on live national TV and eveyrone a very vocal minority in America had an uproar about it?

Just shows how prude they are. Big deal its a human body part.

Fixed that for you. Again, stop generalizing and assuming that all 300 million + Americans are the same.

Solid Knight

Boobs have been known to destroy nations.

Southern Patriot

I haven't got a problem with you criticising my country, how about you go first? Oh, that's right, you probably couldn't even find most countries outside of North America on a map (without help), let alone know anything to criticise them for (again, without help).

How's this one for criticizing your country? Kiwis are a bunch of sheep ****ers and savage cannibal warriors. Is that a pretty good stereotype? It is about as accurate as stating that Americans can't find another country on a map or that they are offended by bare boobs.