• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

(Free) dynamic dns?

Question

whitebread    54

I have a domain registered with GoDaddy.com . I want to host content from my home PC. I used to have a free program which dynamically updated nameservers with my current IP, but I can't remember what it is called.

Even if I have to pay a small fee, I suppose that's ok. How can i achieve this?

15 answers to this question

Equalizer    4

dyndns.com is paid option if you want to use your own domain. i tried listing a few other but the show up as spam. zoneedit.com used to offer free i dont know if they still do afraid.org and also he.net i think also has dns

Eric    1,605

You have to "reconfirm" the free DynDNS if you don't get any hits monthly, but it works well. My router has support for it built-in.

Detection    2,256

You have to "reconfirm" the free DynDNS if you don't get any hits monthly, but it works well. My router has support for it built-in.

I was sure there was a free version of dyndns, and even google results showed free, but I couldnt see the option once I was on their site

Equalizer    4

I was sure there was a free version of dyndns, and even google results showed free, but I couldnt see the option once I was on their site

There was I think they stopped doing free or its hidden on the site I don't see it anymore

articuno1au    1,264

They still offer a free version, but you can only set 1 dynamic address per account now.

What's more, the free version needs to be "renewed" monthly by clicking a link unless you run their auto-update software (that sets your IP on their servers) which you want to do anyways.

https://www.dyndns.com/account/services/hosts/

That's where I control everything from, so if you have an account I'm sure your options will be in there.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Equalizer    4

surprised nobody's mentioned http://freedns.afraid.org/ yet

I posted that but listed the main page afraid.org its been years since I used them.

primexx    372

I posted that but listed the main page afraid.org its been years since I used them.

ah, yea, didn't see it first time around.

OP: this one's totally free so it should work well for you.

MidnightDevil    73

You also have home-ip I guess.

Simon-    492

Just confirming that your home internet connection has a Dynamic IP rather than a Static IP?

Just need to check that you are asking the right thing.

ajua    61

I use DynDNS but apparently they don't offer a free option anymore.

The other service I use and works very well too is << spam >>. You need to confirm you are using your account (by just clicking a link inside an email) every one or two months though but it's not a problem.

You can download their dynamic client so the ip changes are automatically reflected on your host.

Xtreme2damax    42

They still offer a free version, but you can only set 1 dynamic address per account now.

What's more, the free version needs to be "renewed" monthly by clicking a link unless you run their auto-update software (that sets your IP on their servers) which you want to do anyways.

https://www.dyndns.c...services/hosts/

That's where I control everything from, so if you have an account I'm sure your options will be in there.

Good luck :)

They used to allow you to use one of their free subdomains along with other subdomains that gave you a youraddress.dyndns.org etc.. They also offered an update client for dynamic ip's but I can not find either now on their site.