Help needed for finding a new TV

SO the family TV is now about 15 years old and its time a for new one.

I'm really aiming blind at the moment so i would love some help with picking a new TV, im quite the fan of samsung products but would also look at other brands.

Two TVs im looking at right now are the Plasma PS59D8000 http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS59D8000FVXXY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

And LED UA55D8000 http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/smart-tv/UA55D8000YVXXY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification&subsubtype=led

So i guess the main question is which is better, the plasma or LED?. the plasma is bigger and also cheaper but does that mean the picture quality is not as good?

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #1: Contrast Ratio

Verdict: On the contrast ratio parameter, the plasma TV clearly has the upper hand. The LED TV comes next in the race and the LCD TV comes last.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #2: Viewing Angle

Verdict: On the viewing angle parameter, the plasma TV is the winner again, followed by the LED TV in second place and the LCD TV in the last place.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #3: Color

Verdict: All the TVs rank similar on this point, but the discussion may be given a twist by introducing the colored back-lit LED TV in the mix.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #4: Motion

Verdict: Plasma , Plasma and plasma they have the highest hz , so perfect for watching football, cricket etc.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #5: Power Consumption

Verdict: The LED TV is the winner on this point, followed by the LCD and the plasma. lcd and plasma are almost same.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #6: TV Lifespan

Verdict: On this point, the LCD TV has been a winner, while the lifespan of the LED back-light remains untested, as its a relatively new technology.

But the plasma is trying to extend its lifespan to somewhere close to that of the LCD TVs.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #7: Price

Verdict: Plasma is number 1 at the moment, but faces fierce competition from the LCD in the future. LED is still very far behind in the pricing race.

overall winner- plasma and further choose panasonic Plasma as they have the best panel made in japan.

• Like 2

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #1: Contrast Ratio

Verdict: On the contrast ratio parameter, the plasma TV clearly has the upper hand. The LED TV comes next in the race and the LCD TV comes last.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #2: Viewing Angle

Verdict: On the viewing angle parameter, the plasma TV is the winner again, followed by the LED TV in second place and the LCD TV in the last place.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #3: Color

Verdict: All the TVs rank similar on this point, but the discussion may be given a twist by introducing the colored back-lit LED TV in the mix.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #4: Motion

Verdict: Plasma , Plasma and plasma they have the highest hz , so perfect for watching football, cricket etc.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #5: Power Consumption

Verdict: The LED TV is the winner on this point, followed by the LCD and the plasma. lcd and plasma are almost same.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #6: TV Lifespan

Verdict: On this point, the LCD TV has been a winner, while the lifespan of the LED back-light remains untested, as its a relatively new technology.

But the plasma is trying to extend its lifespan to somewhere close to that of the LCD TVs.

LCD vs LED vs Plasma Debate Point #7: Price

Verdict: Plasma is number 1 at the moment, but faces fierce competition from the LCD in the future. LED is still very far behind in the pricing race.

overall winner- plasma and further choose panasonic Plasma as they have the best panel made in japan.

I agree with most of those except for viewing angle. Plasmas will has a glass screen whereas LCD has a less reflective matte-like finish so you don't get the same glare off the screen.

• 4 weeks later...

thank you very much for that

any reason why the Plasma im looking at is cheap yet a larger size?

Which did you end up buying? The reason is Plasma is currently cheaper technology compared to the LED. As much as I want a plasma, the 55D8000 LED is one of the most amazing looking TVs I have ever seen, the 3d looks great (if you are into that).