I will say this as much as I love South Park I do not think this is a great game for a cover story.

Thanks to a collaboration with THQ and Obsidian, Parker and Stone are writing the script, performing the dialogue, and overseeing the development of South Park: The Game. Unlike the cash-in Acclaim titles from over a decade ago, this ambitious project is a full-scale RPG for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC. As the new kid in South Park, it'll be up to you to make friends and defend the town from a wide range of threats. Be sure to check out our January issue for all the details, as well as an interview with Parker and Stone themselves.

cov_225_l.jpg
Gameinformer

The original southpark on n64 was amazing lol

Hah, I loved the original South Park game!

Although I think I played it on PS 1 as I'm sure I didn't own a N64. A great game. Though the bloody turkeys!

• 1 year later...

Add this one to your ever-growing book of video game enthusiasts against downloadable additions (DLC) to video games connected to the internet: Trey Parker says no to the whole mess for The Stick of Truth. The South Park-themed game will be released by the end of this year ? right in time for the holiday season ? but it?ll be cut to a standard size where its creators originally slated it to have so much content it would have taken many, many years to complete.

Speaking up at a Comic Con panel was none other than one of the two originators of the South Park universe, Parker dropping the F-bomb on the idea that they?d take the ?extra content? they?d created for the game and release it as DLC. The plan instead, it?s readily understood, is that the content will be filtered into the South Park television series. The television series meanwhile has no end in sight ? even if it has to be a web-based series some time in the future.

NOTE: Just in case you?re not up-to-date on the THQ bankruptcy situation ? The Stick of Truth was picked up by Ubisoft. For the save!

What you?ve got with The Stick of Truth is a game that Parker reminded the audience this week is heavily inspired by the likes of The Legend of Zelda and recent epic-scale releases like Skyrim. That?s not to say it?ll be released with next-level eye-searing graphics.

On the contrary.

South Park: The Stick of Truth will continue the construction paper cut-out legacy that is the origins of the series. You?ll see some fancy ?3D? graphics as appear here and there throughout the television series, but for the most part you?ll be staying quite flat. Make it go!

VIA PolygonKotaku

Source

• 2 months later...

The oft-delayed South Park: The Stick of Truth finally has a release date. After surviving thetransition in publishers from now-defunct THQ to Ubisoft, Obsidian's RPG take on the quiet Colorado town will arrive before the end of the year.

In addition to the December 10, 2013, release date, the title is getting a collector's edition with both digital and physical bonuses. In addition to the "Fellowship Pack" that comes with all pre-orders (pictured below), the collector's edition comes with a vinyl Grand Wizard Cartman figure from Kidrobot and a Kingdom of South Park map.

CGhsCDD.jpg

The collector's edition will be available for $79.99. You can check out the new trailer and screenshots below, our coverage from Gamescom, and an interview we conducted with South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone on the game.

(Video at link)

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/south_park_the_stick_of_truth/b/xbox360/archive/2013/09/25/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-gets-release-date-and-collectors-edition.aspx

• 1 month later...

Along with Watch_Dogs and The Crew, now South Park: The Stick Of Truth has fallen into next year. The game already slipped and slid when it was THQ?s property, and it doesn?t seem to be getting a grip on the town?s famously snowy streets under its new rulership. Having previously been given the 10th December for console (although PC was conspicuously never announced, and naturally Ubisoft ignored all our enquiries as to why), it?s now three months further on, on the 7th March 2014. Ubi are hoping a genuinely good video will make us calm. It?s less likely to work on their shareholders, who are already throwing their stakes out of the window and running screaming into the hills.

The news, as so often is the case, is delivered in a nonchalant press release that doesn?t actually say that it?s slipped. However, it comes with a statement from South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker rather taking the ###### out of the issue.

?We always wanted the game to feel like you?re actually in an episode of South Park,? says Matt Stone and Trey Parker. ?Getting the game up to the crappy standards of the show has been a real challenge and we?re excited to say it?s taken way longer than we thought it would.?

To appease the masses, there?s seven minutes of video, showing not only that the game certainly does look like an episode of South Park, but also exploration and turn-based combat. And farts. And the player character appears to be called ?Douchebag?.

\I really hope, if it ever actually comes out, that it will be more than just game spoofing. What makes South Park today so strikingly different to South Park ten years ago is the ambiguous social commentary, and topicality. The latter is clearly impossible for a project that?s going as wrong as this one, but the former would seem a conspicuous absence in 2014.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/31/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-has-slipped-again-into-2014/

Awwww.

That's unfortunate as that is about the time I will want to purchase a PS4. I pre-ordered the Grand Wizard edition and am pondering if I want to keep it still... Decisions...

I'm still hopeful for this game.  That video keep me excited to see the finished product.

They have certainly captured the look, feel, and personality of the show.  I'm perfectly fine with a  turn based rpg system, but of course I'm still a fan of that type of gameplay. 

Its cool that they also mixed in some real time actions to interact with the environment.

Not even surprised. They plucked the December date out of thin air probably with full knowledge they weren't going to ship then.

Feel pretty bad for Trey and Matt. They've had the worst of luck with SP games, and it seems Stick of Truth is no different. I just hope the final game is a hit for them.

• 2 months later...