NASA Telescope Confirms Alien Planet in Habitable Zone

Yes, hence why I said the planet being in the habitable zone alone doesn't say much.

Right but the article specifically states the caveat about the possible livable surface temperature given the greenhouse effect.

Right but the article specifically states the caveat about the possible livable surface temperature given the greenhouse effect.

so if that planet can support life as it is on earth. and there are no other human lifeforms on that planet. we could assume it

could be the new earth for us humans to screw up again.

^ The planet could have vaporized, 599 years ago. :laugh:

Other than an an asteroid/comet impact, Given that it's parent star is in its main sequence stage, i somehow doubt it.

Doesn't say much really... Both Venus and Mars are in the habitable zone of our sun as well and we all know what great places to live they are.

This ^^

There are many variables to take into account, not just the habitable zone.

so if that planet can support life as it is on earth. and there are no other human lifeforms on that planet. we could assume it

could be the new earth for us humans to screw up again.

You're absolutely right! They might have mountains of diamonds for us to fight over. I think we should make a ship and shoot frozen Walt Disney out there asap. :rofl:

To the people pointing out that being in the "habitable zone" doesn't guarantee it being habitable: Obviously, and no one, most certainly not the scientists, are trying to imply otherwise. But how else do you suggest we at least begin the search for another planet that is habitable? By looking in the "uninhabitable zone"? :p

they cant predict where a sallite will crash and now you tell me that they could "see" an habitable planet with a telescope from here?. Give me a break.

It's easy to claim BS when you don't know a lick of what they are doing! Why don't you go get a major in astrophysics and then come back and tell us if you still think it's crud?

It's easy to claim BS when you don't know a lick of what they are doing! Why don't you go get a major in astrophysics and then come back and tell us if you still think it's crud?

oh, yea, and you are a qualified astrophysic to talk about. Give me a break you too or better, go and work at nasa, genius

oh, yea, and you are a qualified astrophysic to talk about. Give me a break you too or better, go and work at nasa, genius

I'm not, but the scientists quoted in the article are, which is my point.

this is a great find by Kepler and awesome news. sadly this place is like 600 light years away, so it'll be a long long time before humans are able to go out there unless we figure out FTL movement. at any rate, we all knew worlds like this existed before, but added confirmation is nice.

I think that the theory goes that since time and space are relative, if a person were to travel the speed of light to this place the travel will "feel like" they got their nearly instantaneously (nowhere near 600 years, anyway) but to the rest of earth 600 years would have past. So if we can figure out how to get to at least light speed, and we know of some habitable planets, we have an exit strategy if the Earth ever becomes uninhabitable for whatever reason.

I think that the theory goes that since time and space are relative, if a person were to travel the speed of light to this place the travel will "feel like" they got their nearly instantaneously (nowhere near 600 years, anyway) but to the rest of earth 600 years would have past. So if we can figure out how to get to at least light speed, and we know of some habitable planets, we have an exit strategy if the Earth ever becomes uninhabitable for whatever reason.

i always wonder. We say this so easily that if we achieve light speed we can travel to other planets as time slows down for the traveller. I have a question. The ship we travel in.. will still collect all the radiations and small rocks and debris in space all the way, damaging it before we even exit our solar system completely. Frying us in the process. (we first need to build shields around our spaceships)

i always wonder. We say this so easily that if we achieve light speed we can travel to other planets as time slows down for the traveller. I have a question. The ship we travel in.. will still collect all the radiations and small rocks and debris in space all the way, damaging it before we even exit our solar system completely. Frying us in the process. (we first need to build shields around our spaceships)

I think the feasibility of near-lightspeed travel has issues way before the subject of hitting debris along the way... I'm thinking right about the point where we don't even know how to travel 1/100th of a single % of the speed of light. :p

We have jets that travel at around mach 20 I think, and even that is nothing compared to the speed of light.

I think the feasibility of near-lightspeed travel has issues way before the subject of hitting debris along the way... I'm thinking right about the point where we don't even know how to travel 1/100th of a single % of the speed of light. :p

We have jets that travel at around mach 20 I think, and even that is nothing compared to the speed of light.

I'm not sure. But I hope we figure it out before the planet can't support life anymore. The Earth will be fine w/ or w/o us... we're the ones that are ****ed if we plan on staying here indefinitely.

• Like 1

I'm not sure. But I hope we figure it out before the planet can't support life anymore. The Earth will be fine w/ or w/o us... we're the ones that are ****ed if we plan on staying here indefinitely.

This is just my opinion, but at the rate our technological and scientific knowledge is increasing, I expect my children to be able to fly to space at consumer prices, maybe grandchildren. I think there is a very good chance we'll have unlocked the secrets to long-distance space travel before the earth starts crapping out on us.

they cant predict where a sallite will crash and now you tell me that they could "see" an habitable planet with a telescope from here?. Give me a break.

Ignorant comment is ignorant. No where does it say its a habitable planet. First it's in the "habitable" zone, that doesnt equate to being habitable. It just means the planet sits within a spot that liquid water can exist. We know what the habitable zone is based on our understanding of our own solar system. To close and the water can exist in liquid form, to far and it will be frozen. That's why it's also called the "Goldilocks" zone because it's just "right". Second, predicting when and where a satellite will fall is not even comparable to a telescope seeing an object in space.

If you dont understand just say you dont get it but dont be foolish to think its not possible because you're unable to understand it.

Didn't Star Trek teach you anything, we need a giant deflector array infront of the ship. :rofl:

According to some shows i've watched - even at the current rate the Earth still has thousands of years of life left before we really need to run away. So that's at least say 10 generations. So in the year 3200 or something our super great grand kids will have to deal with these issues - hopefully not however!

Didn't Star Trek teach you anything, we need a giant deflector array infront of the ship. :rofl:

According to some shows i've watched - even at the current rate the Earth still has thousands of years of life left before we really need to run away. So that's at least say 10 generations. So in the year 3200 or something our super great grand kids will have to deal with these issues - hopefully not however!

But didn't you learned anything from '2012'?

December 2012 is all we've got

Why do they call them 'Goldilocks planet'?

Remember the story - there were 3 bowls of porridge found by Goldilocks; one was too hot, one was too cold, and one was just right. This planet would be close to just right in terms of temperature.