Intel I5 2430 vs AMD A8 quad core

I know this is a loaded question with the opportunity for lots of debate and while I have searched the site I haven't been able to find a cut and dried recomendation. Here is my question.

I am buying laptops for my wife and daughter. They will be used for school work, home accounting and general activity.

I have the options of buying either a Asus or Toshiba laptop outfitted with the i5 2430, 4 or 6 gig ram, 500 gig hd and Intel HD3000 graphics OR an HP with the A8 quad core with 4 gig ram, 500 gig hd and 5300 graphics.

I know any will do what they need to do but my question basically is...

Is the i5-2430 better than the A8 quad or vice versa? ( is one set up better than the other )

All of them are between 450 and 500 dollars.

Ive read a lot that the AMD products are slower than the Intel ( always been intel or mac - never owned Amd ) is there any truth to that?

Will the dedicated graphic memory on the HP AMD product be better for DVD's etc...

Sorry for the newbie questions but trying to make sure I don't mess up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff

For your particular case, I'd stick with the Intel configuration. You're going to get battery life, and you're not going to use the performance of a quad core anyway.

For the uses you've mentioned, i5 is a much, much better option. Better battery-life and near quad-core performance and not to mention above average everyday performance.

Good luck

Good question. I recently purchased an HP DV6-6140US. This is am AMD A8 3500M laptop with Blu-Ray DVD. I paid $500.00 at staples on sale with a rebate. I have owned many laptops that have been Intel. The one I own now is a Dell with Intel I7. Just like everyone else said, if you are just doing web and basic stuff, the Intel battery life will be better. The HP I got my son is rated at 5 hours. If you are planning on playing graphic intensive games then you would not want the I5 with the Intel graphics (They SUCK for games). The AMD A8 Vision with the AMD Radeon HD 6620G is very impressive. I think you would come out ahead on the Blu-Ray movie playback with the AMD A8 Vision because the AMD Radeon HD 6620G graphics are much better but, I certainly don't think you would be disappointed with the Intel 3000 graphics for basic things and movies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157877 This is a newegg link but you can find them cheaper

Any way, that's my opinion. Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

Paul