What bands from now will be popular 30 years from now

While listening to some Pink Floyd today I started thinking about how many great bands came out of the 60s and 70s and how many youth and teenagers still listen to those bands. Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Aerosmith etc. I started thinking about todays music and how the market is saturated with bands that its hard to grasp the great ones from the mediocre ones. So what bands do you all think youth and teenagers will be listening to 30+ years from now from the past 10 to 15 years. The 90s had some greats like below, but for the 2000s Im kind of stumped

Some bands I think from the 90s

Early Greenday?

Early Blink 182?

Dave Matthews?

Pearl Jam?

Nirvana?

I often wonder about this as well and generally can't think of too many.

I'll probably sound like a fuddy duddy for saying this but I don't think there are any contemporary bands that are good enough to be worth listening to in 30 years time. The main reason for this is that the record companies aren't interested in developing bands that evolve and produce great albums any more. It's all about singles, one hit wonders, manufactured boy and girl bands and lowest common denominator type stuff that will make a quick buck.

Radiohead and Gorillaz would be examples of bands that buck this trend but they're almost niche these days. Maybe I'm just getting too old :)

• Like 2

it also seems like a lot of the bands that ditched the record label like Radiohead and Pearl Jam are the ones that are going to last.

Over the past 10 years I just haven't seen many bands reach that caliper

I think The Black Keys at least has the potential to remain a huge hit decades down the road. Their style of rock is universal. Anyone heard their new album El Camino?

http://grooveshark.c...+Camino/7150590

Have a listen to "Gold on the Ceiling", "Lonely Boy" and "Little Black Submarines" (quick, who does this song remind you of?)

Edit: Hell, just listen to it all. They're all great songs.

Hardly any. I was talking about this lastnight and we really couldn't come up with anything near like what The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc have accomplished. Everything these days seems to be passing fads.

Tool.

MUSE?

Coldplay will go on for a long time...

Please, he asked seriously.

Taking into account rock history and tendencies:

Radiohead (Obviously), The White Stripes, maybe early Interpol, Nine Inch Nails, Nick Cave, Tom Waitts, Bjork.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc, are a given, the same with currently active 80's bands like The Cure and Depeche Mode or New Order.

The list goes on and on.

Tool.

^This. Tool is one of Maynard's best projects and the music they've produced to date is outstanding.

Other bands I believe have helped define modern music:

• Audioslave
  • Foo Fighters
  • Linkin Park
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Offspring
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Weezer

^This. Tool is one of Maynard's best projects and the music they've produced to date is outstanding.

Other bands I believe have helped define modern music:

• Audioslave
  • Foo Fighters
  • Linkin Park
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Offspring
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Weezer

I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

• Like 3

Radiohead (Obviously), The White Stripes, maybe early Interpol, Nine Inch Nails, Nick Cave, Tom Waitts, Bjork.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc, are a given, the same with currently active 80's bands like The Cure and Depeche Mode or New Order.

The list goes on and on.

You ask him to be serious but then list Bjork haha

• Like 1

I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

:laugh: Yeah, I know. Not everyone will share my taste in music, but that's understandable. I'm just pointing out the bands in the genres I like that might have some "staying" power over the years.

Drama queen, just because one person states a different taste in music. ;)

The Vaccines ;)

Music is serious business.

You ask him to be serious but then list Bjork haha

BTW, I dont like Bjork, but she will stay, like it or not.

The list goes on and on.

I was thinking that I should have included The White Stripes after I posted yesterday. I also agree that Bjork deserves to be on any list of influential, innovative musicians 30 years from now - whether you like her music or not.

Nine Inch Nails

The White Stripes

The Raconteurs

Queens of the Stone Age

Smashing Pumpkins, however i don't think i can add this as it would be their work from the late 90's early 2000's

Hardly any. I was talking about this lastnight and we really couldn't come up with anything near like what The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc have accomplished. Everything these days seems to be passing fads.

Even though they are 90s mostly, Rammstein are still going strong today, coming up on being in the business for 20 years. And they are the biggest international band that doesn't speak English, and a big international band period. Not everyone's taste but they have had their lasting effect on me since 1997 (it helps that I speak German). The only band that I still actually buy physical albums and DVDs for.

Talking 2000s, I can't truly think of any band that I really cared about. I listen to some, but they have no stay effect.

.....Nope, really I got nothing. Stared at my mp3 collection and couldn't say to much.