2011 VGA reveals

I was referring more to their respective game engines (Frostbite 2 and CryEngine 3).

Both engines are not just multiplatform, but highly versatile; remember, CryEngine 3 will have been used for two MMOs (one of which is F2P) before Ryse even goes into closed beta.

And because (unlike Frostbite 2), CryEngine 3 is not tied to a specific publisher, it is a great deal more leveragable by both developers and publishers than Frostbite 2.

The days of the single-platform (let alone single-purpose) game engine are pretty much done (except for indie development - and maybe even there, too, with free SDKs such as the one for CryEngine 3).

Ryse isn't an MMO.

And I'd disagree with the belief that developers would prefer CryENGINE 3 because it's "more leveragable" than Frostbite 2. Frostbite 2 is being used across genres because EA owns the engine and it's more efficient to repurpose it than create entirely new engines just because games are in a different genre. I think if someone was making an RTS and was looking to license an engine, it probably wouldn't pick CryENGINE 3 (or Frostbite 2, either).

But could you see GRiD2 or TDU3 using CryEngine 3?

Yeah, sure. But they likely wouldn't as licensing the engine would require more work, so you'd be pouring a ton of money to pay royalty fees for an engine you're going to have to overhaul.

After watching the Transformers trailer 2 more times I am now planning on getting the 1st one lol. The trailer was epic and I did like what I read in the GI cover story.

Hnnnnnnnnnng.........

Post apocalyptic World ?

Naughty Dog ?

Day one purchase ?

A post apocolyptic world, the currently most overused and tired theme in current games, is a plus point?

A post apocolyptic world, the currently most overused and tired theme in current games, is a plus point?

I was talking in my opinion, zombies and/or post apocalyptic worlds are one of my favourite settings.

Fully deserved. I can't think of a Zelda game that's been disappointing personally. :)

Personally i couldn't stand Twilight Princess long enough to get the third dungeon open. The games main gimmick, wolf form, was its biggest flaw.

Fortnite looks like a joke. TF2 styling, but it's another zombie game based around the game mechanics of Horde 2.0 in Gears 3? Talk about taking a pick of the popular crap from the last 5 years and hashing it together.

I'm worried the Hitman series is going to be ruined with Absolution. There was gameplay footage a while ago which had a HUD element that basically told you where to go.

As for Tony Hawk, there's not much they can do except release a HD version of the original game(s). They seem to have totally forgotten how to make a decent game... Although skateboarding in general is just out of fashion nowadays, and has been for some time.

Metal Gear Rising looks ridiculous, the Tekken Tag 2 trailer basically showed us it was a tag team fighting game (no ****) and nothing else, and the Bioshock Infinite trailer showed us nothing new.

So basically, next year I'm just waiting for GTA 5.

I'm worried the Hitman series is going to be ruined with Absolution. There was gameplay footage a while ago which had a HUD element that basically told you where to go.

Maybe, although that's the new trend of dumbing down games for the masses. It looks like a combination of "Detective Mode" in Batman, and the newer Eagle Sense in Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

most disappointing VGA ever, from the results.... the trailers and even kojima its apologizing on how bad its this celebrity show...

Not sure if you've seen the VGAs before, but this was actually a better showing for them. Their results always suck.

I think Fortnite is getting a lot of hate, but it looks like an XBLA/PSN title to me. Also, I don't think it's zombies or anything, it's just weird demon creatures trying to attack you (kind of like The Darkness's creeps, or whatever they were called). I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure it's my kind of game.

Game reveal wise i was not impressed with any of the titles. I enjoyed seeing Mass effect 3, and the Intro for Diablo 3 was amazing as usual, other than that there was not much for me in the event.

Just because frostbite 2 is used for FPS games doesn't mean the engine is overkill for anything else. Hell, with the level of environment detail FB2 brings any RTS will look great off the start.

As for hitman, if you don't like the detective mode/eagle vision option then there is a mode where it's gone/can't be used. I won't call it hard mode cuz I think I read it's got a different name. Regardless, how is this any different from basically having a super map you can bring up at any time that shows you where EVERYONE on the map is and where your target is (so you know where to go) all in real-time?

I honestly don't see this dumbing down the game at all tbh. Hell playing the original games I must have spent close to half of my play time just looking at the map itself.

Not sure if you've seen the VGAs before, but this was actually a better showing for them. Their results always suck.

I think Fortnite is getting a lot of hate, but it looks like an XBLA/PSN title to me. Also, I don't think it's zombies or anything, it's just weird demon creatures trying to attack you (kind of like The Darkness's creeps, or whatever they were called). I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure it's my kind of game.

I'm pretty sure it's a XBLA/PSN game as well.

I haven't watched the Bioshock Infinite trailer yet, but I have watched a few other ones.

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance looks really disappointing to me. I don't like how it's taking place after the events of MGS4 (
    thereby ruining the proper closure that Raiden's story had at the end of that game
    ), I don't like how it's completely hack and slash-based with no emphasis on tactical play, and I don't like how Raiden's original personality has been discarded in favour of another Dante/Nero type character. It might be a fun game, and I will certainly buy it if it is, but this is not Metal Gear. Sorry to sound like a downer :(.
  • Mass Effect 3 is looking good. Haven't seen much in terms of the storyline (which is perhaps a good thing since I don't want to spoil myself), but the gameplay is looking solid. I hope they retain some good RPG elements though, instead of just turning it completely into a third person action game. I'm sure they will, though.
  • Fortnite looks pretty unremarkable based on that trailer, but that trailer showed us almost nothing, so it's really hard to say one way or the other. If it ends up being XBLA/PSN/Steam, then I might be on board.
  • Alan Wake: American Nightmare looks good. I enjoyed Alan Wake quite a bit (repetitive as it may have been), so I'm definitely looking forward to playing as that character again. Bonus: that shirt is totally great.
  • I'm excited that Tekken Tag Tournament 2 exists, but I was hoping that they would give us some gameplay. Though I must confess that I'm far more excited for SFxTK at this point. Hell, I'm even more excited for DOA5...
  • Generals 2 = **** yeah. The first Generals is quite possibly my favourite RTS ever. Hope they bring back Jarman.

Didn't watch any of the actual show, of course.

Im gonna have to pick up a new copy of generals lol. So EA does not confirm that it will work on Windows 7, should I figure it to work on 7? The first decade box is only $12 today.

I'm pretty sure I had it working on Windows 7 with no issues. This was during a LAN party about a year ago, so my memory is a little hazy, but I'm pretty sure I was running Windows 7.

I'll hold my breath on Generals 2. All of the C&C's since Zero Hour have been pretty poor gameplay-wise. Same goes for the Rainbow Six game. Last good one was Raven Shield, then after that it completely lost sight of what the series was about - tactical combat. Doubt it will be much more than a Call of Duty clone. I'm usually fairly optimistic about games, but these are two series I was very loyal to and have completely lost all faith in.

Looking forward to The Last of Us though, although mostly because it is Naughty Dog. :p

Well I ordered The First Decade on amazon for $12 so I hope it works.

Check out the fifth post here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/w7itproappcompat/thread/8721c469-3e4d-41d8-a0bb-675bed42688e

That should get it working if you're using the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I still have my Generals discs so I may give it a try for old time's sake. I remember being blown away by the graphics

Check out the fifth post here: http://social.techne...bb-675bed42688e

That should get it working if you're using the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I still have my Generals discs so I may give it a try for old time's sake. I remember being blown away by the graphics

Thanks, I hope this will be able to work. While searching around I found some people that had problems even doing this.