Is an AV receiver (paired with HTPC) needed?

Plok

This is certainly a newbie question, but a question I can't answer nevertheless.

I'm moving out of a small room with computer+lcd+cheap computer speakers onto a greener pastures and I decided to set up a HTPC in a room 5x5 meters big. I found countless guides on an optimal HTPC build and I have moreless a good idea on various components.

What I want to know if I actually need an AV receiver. Or can a better sound card substitute it?

It's my understanding that a modern computer (even integrated audio and video) can handle the decoding of HD video and audio. I also know that it's possible to set up ffdshow codec to do HD upscaling of video.

So... is an receiver needed? What would I gain by having one?

jerzdawg

I think your biggest benefit would be speaker options. You mention now you are using "cheap computer speakers" so I would say that there would be little to no benefit getting an AV receiver. But if you wish to upgrade to a nice 2.1/3.1 or even 5.1 system with the HTPC it would be beneficial getting an entry level receiver as you upgrade your speakers.

Plok

Thanks. I'll definitely get a new speaker setup - I'm eyeing Harman Kardon HKTS 20. Maybe couple it with HARMAN KARDON AVR-260. I just wish the budget would let me go higher than entry level equipment :/

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      MediaPortal 2.2.2 / 1.23.0
      by Razvan Serea

MediaPortal is a free and open source media center software, ideal for turning your PC into a very advanced multimedia center, or Home Theater PC, to view all your digital media in your living room. Do you want a Home Theatre with audio streaming throughout your home, a digital photo album to organize all your photos and webcam videos, access to web streams and information like weather, news, sports or Wikipedia, plus a super TiVo? With MediaPortal (MP) you can do all this and more, from the comfort of your sofa. It is the most feature rich Media Center software in the world today, and it's free!

Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more, and for free! Play videos, movies, DVDs and Blu-ray discs Listen to music and radio Enjoy pictures, home videos or create a slideshow Stream media, radio and TV to any HTPC / PC connected to your network Use a remote to control your HTPC from your couch Check the weather, news, and more Access MediaPortal from the web or mobile device Highlights of this release:

TV/Radio

One-click deletion of grouped recordings: Grouped recordings in the TV recording folder, e.g. series, can now be deleted with one single click instead having to go manually through each individual entry. Radio recordings: You can now skip, pause and resume within a radio recording like in any TV recording Manual schedules: Manually added schedules will now appear in the list of scheduled recordings System

Client wake-up at 2:00: A bug that caused a client to wake up every night was fixed. Party Music Player: The party player is now capable of handling large playlists with more than 1000 entries Extensions

MediaPortal 2.2.2's functionality can be further extended through the installation of additional plugins. The choice of extensions, while currently limited, is steadily growing. Discover what else is available in our Featured Plugins section. Trakt

A new Trakt plugin has been developed with better sync and watched flags management, completely compatible with the new User Management system, allowing different trakt accounts for different users. The development of the plugin has been moved out from the standard Mediaportal 2 development. This will ease development and bug fixes. For details or manual, please refer to the related Wiki section. Webradio

Webradio allows you to play internet radio without having to leave your familiar MP2 user interface.The plugin comes with over 10000's online radio stations from all over the world. Create your own filter from Country, City and any more. Make your own favorites list. Moving from MP1 to MP2

Procedures to install MP2 in parallel to MP1 are described in the Wiki. For all those who would like to move from MP1 to MP2 and preserve their current media organisation, our forum member raffe has created a small tool that will extract information from your MP-TvSeries and MovingPictures databases and picture folders, The tool will leave all your original data untouched, create .nfo files for all your media and copy existing pictures from your MovingPictures and MP-TvSeries to your new MediaPortal 2 media folders. The .nfo files and pictures then allow a smooth and quick import of all your media info into MediaPortal 2. See thee respective forum thread for further details. Full list of changes

You can review all changes by taking a look at changelog: MediaPortal 2.2.2

Download: MediaPortal 2.2.2 | 141.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: MediaPortal 1.23 | 224.0 MB
      View: MediaPortal Homepage |Release Announcement

• By Copernic
      Kodi 17.5 released for download
      by Razvan Serea

Kodi (formerly known as XBMC), is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs (Home theater PCs). Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a hard-drive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.

Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive. Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with boxcovers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.

Fixes done in this release:

Joysticks: Fix accelerometers preventing screensaver More robust way of handling audio output on variety of Android devices Fix playback of DVD file over network on Linux Update to FFmpeg 3.1.11 Fix up and down buttons on ir remotes with macOS High Sierra Added latest apple devices to allow retina support Fix not being able to add content manually to videolibrary Fix power message handling for CEC Fix jumping timeline while switching channel groups in Guide window Download: Kodi 17.5 | 78.0 MB (Open Source)
      View: Kodi Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Gotenks98
      Just wanted to know if anyone come across an HTPC case that can fit a mid ATX size motherboard, standard desktop power supply and full size PCI-E graphics card? I am trying to reuse as much as I can from an old system I upgraded from to build the HTPC.
    • By yummy0827
      I am looking for the smallest case I can find for my HTPC. I have an ASRock H97M-ITX/AC mini-ITX Board and an i3-4160 and only a single SSD for storage to go in it.

So far, the smallest case I can find is the Realan T3 case
      . If there is nothing smaller or better I will end up going with that.

Nice to Have: - Slim or full 5.25" bay. Slot load drives are pricey, even a slim optical bay would save some money. - Dust filters (I know I can add them after the fact) - Room for a future low profile graphics card. The ML06/ML06-E has this already so I know it is possible in this size.

Budget: $200 for case, PSU.
    • By Copernic
      Kodi 17.4
      by Razvan Serea

Kodi (formerly known as XBMC), is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs (Home theater PCs). Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a hard-drive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.

Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive. Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with boxcovers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.

Fixes done in this release:

Potentially fix crashing on Windows due to an issue in Python Potentially fix crashing on Windows when enabling zeroconf Fix sporadic crash on Windows when installing or updating add-ons Fix issue for users with reverse proxies attempting to forward websockets. Fix possible issue if Linux distro uses system ffmpeg and cause black screen with 10-bit H.265 Properly throttle scraping music information online to prevent overloading the provider Fix native keyboard on iOS 11 Fix potential crash on Android O loading App icons Fix non showing Kodi banner on Android O Fix potential crash on Android with certain keymaps Fix wrong detection of VP6 and VP8 videocodec on Android Update FFmpeg to 3.1.9 Set hard requirement to use FFmpeg 3.1.x only Fix for Hangup when viewing recording and pressing next/previous Fix merged scraped album type and label correctly with that derived from tags from music files Fix possible crash on Linux when using ALSA Save skin settings immediatly after they have changed instead of only on shutdown Download: Kodi 17.4 | 78.0 MB (Open Source)
      View: Kodi Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware