• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is this the Nokia Lumia 900? (Render)

jakem1    1,610

that doesn't explain it. i don't understand why you'd want a 4.3" screen on a phone, when you can get a tablet for an arguably better experience.

You'd look pretty silly holding a tablet up to your ear :p

hougtimo    34

that doesn't explain it. i don't understand why you'd want a 4.3" screen on a phone, when you can get a tablet for an arguably better experience.

I agree. I don't understand why anyone would want more than a 4" screen. I had a 4" screen on my Omnia 7 and really it's the biggest I'd want on a smartphone. I'd say that the Lumia 800s screen is absolutely perfect, while the iPhone screen feels slightly cramped.

I'd rather have a phone with a sensible screen size and a tablet for anything else.

George P    5,573

I have a 3.8" right now but want a bigger screen because my eyesight isn't the best when it comes to reading small text. Also the bigger screen is also better for gaming and videos of course.

primexx    372

Nothing beats a smartphone with Windows Phone, a Lumia design and 4.3-4.5 inches of screen.

This catagory right here, 4.0-5.0 inches is smartphone catagory.

Tablets are for other things

i guess what i don't understand is what exactly this category is used for. it just seems to me like trying to do two things in one device well, instead of doing two things in two devices excellently. is that the implicit trade-off that people make or is there some other advantage to a giant phone but tiny tablet sized screen?

Muhammad Farrukh    1,080

I think its for those who don't want to carry or can't carry a device bigger than 7'' but want to browse and watch videos.

When I have the smartphone in my hand, I do all the browsing on it. Of course not all of it but most of it

jakem1    1,610

i guess what i don't understand is what exactly this category is used for. it just seems to me like trying to do two things in one device well, instead of doing two things in two devices excellently. is that the implicit trade-off that people make or is there some other advantage to a giant phone but tiny tablet sized screen?

There are numerous reasons why people might want a phone with a larger screen. Apart from the fact that a larger screen is easier to read, the on-screen keyboard is larger and therefore easier to type on. Also, a well designed phone with a 4.3" screen is only really a few millimetres larger than a phone with a 3.8" screen once you reduce the size of the bezel and make the device thinner.

For instance, my Omnia 7 with a 4" screen is about 6 mm wider than the Lumia 800, 1.1mm thinner but 4gm lighter. My old HTC HD2 with a 4.3" screen is a couple of millimetres larger than my Omnia 7 but all three phones feel roughly the same. It's silly to suggest that a marginally larger phone is somehow inferior to a phone with a 3.x" screen and is similar to a tablet.

I think my partner's Lumia 800 is really nice to use but after a while I start to notice how cramped the smaller screen is. She is perfectly happy with the smaller screen but I would prefer a model like this Lumia 900 with a 4.3" screen.

S00N3R FR3AK    45

Yes please and I want mine in that red.

T M H    5

A new picture has emerged. The device has a front facing camera and buttons are closer to the bottom, just like in the image GP007 posted.

n.jpg

sanctified    1,220

Am I the only one seeing an ipod nano?

• Like 1

jakem1    1,610

Am I the only one seeing an ipod nano?

Yep :p

• Like 2

Zain Adeel    197

hasnt anybody seen this yet?

guru    322

hasnt anybody seen this yet?

looked like Lumia 800 to me

Zain Adeel    197

exactly! :p

the girl got small hands.... :blushing:

George P    5,573

The only way to tell if it's the 800 now or a possible 900 is to see where the position of the 3 buttons are since a bigger screen size would move those down lower to the base. It won't be that long till CES, and Nokia will have a big showing so we'll just wait and see.

guru    322

here's something i want Nokia to add/ fix with 900 series

4.3" screen, FFC, LTE, Dual Core, free Apollo upgrade and a better name - 'Lumia' really :/

neoxphuse    7

I like the name Lumia - sounds pretty cool to me

• Like 2

jakem1    1,610

I like the name Lumia - sounds pretty cool to me

+1

qdave    159

Wow that phone looks very nicely!

George P    5,573

here's something i want Nokia to add/ fix with 900 series

4.3" screen, FFC, LTE, Dual Core, free Apollo upgrade and a better name - 'Lumia' really :/

We know there's FFC support now with Mango, and we're pretty sure LTE and NFC is coming (probably with tango since the timing matches with it's release and when Nokia is expected to re-enter the US market), but as far as dual core support, well, we might not see that till WP8 and that could very well be mid-late summer 2012, really anyones guess on that one at this point.