Internet speed fast but web sites open slow

Hello Neowins,

I have comcast service. I get speeds about ~20mbps download (speakeasy or speedtest.net) on wireless network. But I found at times when sites are opened its so slow that browser (IE or Chrome) sits there for a while and other times it times out. I noticed this is happening since last month.

Infrastructure:

Motorola Surf Modem

D-Link DIR-601 router

Comcast performance internet (15mbps)

Primary DNS - 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS - 8.8.4.4

Before I call comcast I want to make sure its all good at my end.

Please let me know what can I tweak or troubleshoot?

Thanks

I use opendns and google dns for my connection, you could try this.

OpenDNS servers :

Also you didn't tell us anything about the computer you're using, how much memory you have, etc.

Do some pings also to those sites that timesout. If they are running crappy maybe you could see if you have packet loss along the way too.

Since you are using a server OS are you sure you're not running a DNS server role on the server itself as well? It could be the case that the local DNS server is querying itself first , timing out and then forwarding it out to a root server instead of your designated ones causing additional delay.

My vote would be either some software firewall your running or some form of infection, if your speed test and and dns queries are fine.

Quick test if anything software related on your box is fire up a live CD, how do the websites perform then. If good then you are sure its not your network, if still bad it could be something in your network or ISP

Get to the command line and run

nslookup somedomain.com[/CODE]

a few times with different domains and see if there are any messages about timeouts before the result is returned

Also, how about running

[CODE]ping -n 100 8.8.8.8 (or 8.8.4.4)[/CODE]

When it finishes, look at the summary data and see how many packets are dropped and record what the average response time is. Are those the DNS servers recommended by your ISP?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The Lenovo ThinkPad T520 ships with Windows 7 x64, doesn't it? You might want to try reintalling that operating system from the factory image and see if the problem goes away.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky