'hash brown rage' at McDonald's

Lakeland - A middle school teacher was arrested and spent a night in jail after throwing her food back through a window at a McDonald's drive-through in Lakeland, Florida.

Last Saturday morning, Simone Paolercio, 39, went to a McDonald's drive-through to pick up breakfast for herself and her children. She paid approximately $20 and received the food. But, as the Daily Mail so eloquently put it, she was "not lovin' it."

According to the Polk County Sheriff's Office, a dispute then ensued. The teacher claimed her order was two hash browns short and she wanted a refund. The McDonald's employee refused. So she returned the food to the fast food restaurant by dumping the hash browns, pancakes, and a drink, back through the open window of the drive-through. Paolercio then drove off.

The police claim the teacher "threw" the food at the employee. Paolercio was later arrested at her home and charged with misdemeanor battery. Police claim surveillance video shows one of the hash browns hitting the drive-through employee. However in the accompanying video, it appears the woman was merely dumping the food back into McDonald's through the open window.

Paolercio was kept in jail Saturday night and released the following morning.

The teacher told the Lakeland Ledger,

I spent a night in jail on the word of a young woman that lied. I'm not a criminal. I did nothing wrong. And now my reputation is ruined.

But according to UPI, the police said although Paolercio initially denied doing anything wrong, she later said she could not argue with the surveillance footage.

Paolercio teaches Grade Six world geography at Lakeland Highlands Middle School.

source & video

While I understand that some mistakes can happen and that McDonald's or any other company isn't perfect, customers do take things too far. Refuding a whole order over $20 is a little excessive and it's common practise to refuse to give a refund for that amount over something so little. Chances are the customer was probably offered to replace the hash browns and maybe get a free meal as well for an apology.

I used to run a McDonald's store as a shift manager and while things can go wrong at times (Sorry for being human that is), some customers can take the **** about how they respond. I've seen it all, fighting, throwing food, swearing, vandalism and so on.

My advice is this, if you have a problem with your order, make sure a shift manager deals with your order to get it resolved and not an crew member (crew can make things worse at times). Chances are, we'll replace the food and make sure it's all correct, some stores might go as far as reimbursing you with some free deserts as an apology. Also, you don't need to shout at people to get a response and if you truly don't think you've be satisfied, talk to the store manager (if available), if not then get the head office contact number and make a complaint.

I know looks has nothing to do with being able to teach but that woman does not seem "right" for a teacher. Yes, I know it doesnt make any sense but its just not sitting well with me. Still not sure why you would return an entire order because of 2 hash browns missing, wouldnt McDs just give her the missing items once made aware?

on the next episode of "meet the browns"..... :pinch: