Font Rendering Issue in IE (google web font)

Question

team_NOOB

Hey all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue I'm having.

I'm using some of the new google web fonts which are not rendering correctly in IE and to a degree, FF for Windows.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

post-179373-0-92589700-1324884970_thumb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

10 answers to this question

Seahorsepip

Could we get a html link which shows the embedded font so we could take a better look at your problem?

And keep in mind that @font-face is IE9+ if you sue older browsers you need to use a font that is installed by the system or use adobe flash which can embed fonts ;)

team_NOOB

Sorry I should have mentioned that I tried using the Google Web Fonts API too. Same issue - everything looks good in most browsers except IE and to a degree FF (on windows only).

Here's the code, pretty simple: http://jsfiddle.net/GNgbF/

I thought it might have been a problem with the ClearType rendering - but I can't see a solution that can be implemented server-side. Perhaps there might be a jquery work around? Still looking..

Edit: also @fontface does work with versions of IE 6-9 link so it's not an @fontface issue (hence why I tried google web font implementation too)

Seahorsepip

You checked their was no difference between the different font type files themself?

That is the only thing I can think about after testing it on some browsers here :/

Ambroos

Google Web Fonts always gave some issues for me too. It seems that IE still doesn't properly render text that is altered with Javascript after initial rendering...

team_NOOB

Yeah basically it has something to do with the ClearType font rendering. It happens in earlier FF too :(

From all the reading I have done it seems as though nothing can be done from the server-side. The client can change some settings on their machines which addresses the issue, but that's not really a solution.

Thanks for having a look guys :) Might have to make some conditional comments and load some images for the headings..

The_Decryptor

Do you have a link to the actual page? The one on jsfiddle renders fine for me (In Firefox and IE9)

team_NOOB

Do you have a link to the actual page? The one on jsfiddle renders fine for me (In Firefox and IE9)

Hey mate - nah I don't. But IE9 should render it fine - I think they corrected the issue. Just IE8 and earlier are affected. What FF version are you running?

Would you mind taking a screen shot?

The_Decryptor

I thought this was a problem in IE9, didn't realise it was IE9 that was rendering it correctly :laugh:

897687070.png

That's Firefox 9 on my system, I've got it all properly configured to it's using DirectWrite like IE9+ does. If it's rendering bad on some systems it'll be because it's using the old GDI font rendering API.

team_NOOB

I thought this was a problem in IE9, didn't realise it was IE9 that was rendering it correctly :laugh:

haha yeah, I probably should have mentioned that - sorry. I ended up going through the whole font list on a windows pc in IE8 to get the best possible looking font and went with the Yanone Kafeetz again. Using that in the logo too but it will do for now.

That's Firefox 9 on my system, I've got it all properly configured to it's using DirectWrite like IE9+ does. If it's rendering bad on some systems it'll be because it's using the old GDI font rendering API.

Ah I haven't tested with FF9 yet. Are they default settings? I will need to run some tests and see what it looks like with all that turned off given that general Australian businesses are going to be pretty behind when it comes to these things.

The_Decryptor

DirectWrite has been the default (when the hardware is capable) since Firefox 4.0, but even if it's off it's going to match Chrome/Opera/Safari/IE8/etc.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft once again warns of Adobe Flash removal from Edge by the end of the year
      by Rich Woods

Adobe Flash is going away at the end of the year, and it's been a long time coming. Adobe first announced the end of life in July 2017, and every major browser vendor is committed to exorcising Adobe's legacy product from its browser by the end of the year. Microsoft published an update today promising to do just that, even though it made the same promise a year ago.

Microsoft was clear that it's removing Flash from all three of its currently shipping web browsers by the end of the year, including Internet Explorer 11, Edge Legacy, and Edge Chromium. After 2020, users that need to access Flash will have to jump through some hoops, as you'll have to use a plug-in in IE mode. Adobe is making this available for business users, and Microsoft won't support it; it's just another third-party plug-in.

At some point in early 2021, all supported versions of Windows are going to get an optional update called, "Update for removal of Adobe Flash Player", and it will be made recommended later. In fact, you'll be able to grab the update from the Update Catalog this fall if you want it before the end of Flash support. And then next summer, all APIs, group policies, and interfaces that are for managing Flash will be removed from Edge Legacy and Internet Explorer 11 via a cumulative update.

Flash Player has been disabled by default on all modern browsers for some time, so if you haven't run into any compatibility issues this year, this change will happen and you won't even notice.

• By indospot
      Microsoft to remove TLS 1.0 and 1.1 from Edge in July, IE and Edge Legacy in September
      by João Carrasqueira

Most major web browsers are preparing to drop support for legacy versions of the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, as they can pose a security risk compared to newer versions. Microsoft initially announced its plans to drop TLS 1.0 and 1.1 in October 2018, and today, the company has provided an updated roadmap for the deprecation.

Much like Google Chrome, Microsoft intended to remove support for these versions in the first half of the year, but due to the circumstances related to the coronavirus outbreak, the change has been somewhat delayed. Microsoft also announced today that it will be skipping version 82 of the Edge browser because of this situation.

For the Chromium-based of Microsoft Edge, support for these legacy versions of TLS will be removed with version 84 at the earliest, and that's currently planned for release in July. For Internet Explorer 11 and Edge Legacy (the EdgeHTML-powered version), support for these versions will be disabled by default starting on September 8, when the company will release its monthly Windows updates on Patch Tuesday.

Most websites are already using newer versions of TLS, so end users aren't likely to encounter any major issues when support for older versions is removed. Website owners that are still using older versions of TLS now have a little more time to make the transition.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft reminds enterprise users of IE10 to migrate to IE11 as end of support nears
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft’s Internet Explorer has had its share of popularity in the early days of the web. The browser’s monopoly has even gotten the Redmond giant into legal troubles. Though its market share was eventually toppled by Google’s Chrome when it came to consumers, many enterprises still rely on IE for their legacy applications. With Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) reaching end of support this month (well, almost) for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard, Microsoft is issuing a reminder to enterprises to migrate to IE11.

The company began letting Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard customers pilot the migration to IE11 back in January 2019. The firm notes that the upgrade to IE11 will ease the migration path to Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 or 2019, or Windows 10 IoT.

Up until now, IE11 had been labeled as ‘Optional’ in Windows Update and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). A standalone update package was also released for IE11 through the Microsoft Update Catalog. However, customers of the said OSes will now notice that starting February 2020, the then ‘Optional’ update in the Update Catalog and WSUS will be labeled as a ‘Recommended’ update. For those looking at Windows Update, the package will be flagged in the ‘Important’ section.

Post upgrade, users will also have to install the latest cumulative update for IE11, termed “Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 11” from the Update Catalog, WSUS, or Windows Update. The company notes that updates for the browser will be included in the Monthly Roll-up packages in the Update Catalog and WSUS later in 2020.

Microsoft adds that “Upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer will ease your migration to Windows 10 and also allow you to reduce the number of Internet Explorer versions you support in your environment”. Users can use the ‘Enterprise Mode’ in IE11 for increased compatibility which launches IE10 based applications in ‘compatibility mode’.

As with the final update for Windows 7, the final update for IE10 will be released on 11 February 2020, which happens to be Patch Tuesday of the month.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft will remove Flash from all of its browsers by December 2020
      by Rich Woods

Back in July 2017, Adobe announced that it will be ending support for Flash at the end of 2020. Browser vendors started announcing their plans to phase out the product later that day, and that included Microsoft.

Microsoft posted an update today on when Flash will finally stop working in its browsers. The answer is, you guessed it, the end of 2020. In Edge Spartan (the current version of Edge) and Internet Explorer 11, everything will work as it does now throughout the rest of 2019. It will be completely gone by December 2020. The timeline really isn't any different from the original announcement.

As far as the new Chromium-based Edge goes, Microsoft says that it will follow the same timeline as the Chromium Project for phasing out the legacy Adobe product. Like the timeline for Edge Spartan and Internet Explorer, Flash will be removed completely by December 2020. It will be disabled by default, and you'll be able to turn it on on a site-by-site basis, or you can set a group policy.

Adobe's Flash has had plenty of problems over the years, most notably security issues. The modern web has replaced it with newer standards like HTML5, and there's no reason for it to exist anymore except for legacy applications. Now, it's time for the web to move on.

• By Rich Woods
      IE Mode now works in Microsoft's Chromium-based Edge browser
      by Rich Woods

Earlier this year at its Build 2019 developer conference, Microsoft announced IE Mode for its upcoming Chromium-based version of Edge. Now, you can finally use it.

The feature allows you to open a webpage in an Internet Explorer tab within the Edge browser itself. You'll need to enable a flag called 'Enable IE Integration' first, and then when you have a page open, you can go to More tools -> Show this page using Internet Explorer to change the tab you're in.

It's worth noting that the flag was actually discovered a few weeks ago, but enabling it at the time would only launch IE as a separate application. Now, there's a new option in the dropdown list, so you can choose between Default, Disabled, IE Mode, and NeedIE.

IE Mode is already available in the Dev branch; however, you won't find it in Edge for Mac. This is because Internet Explorer isn't supported on Macs, so it was deemed unnecessary.

Another new feature added is a flag called 'Limit media autoplay', which will block certain sites from autoplaying video. If you want to check out the Edge Insider builds, you can find it here.