New TV needed... looking for recommendations

So the current family TV is on it's way out and is going to be replaced within the next couple of days. Old TV was a Samsung LE40A656 40" LCD TV - looking for something similar but more unto date. Nothing fantastic, but not cheap crap either.

Top of the list is another Samsung... UE40D6530 (LED LCD 40"). Mainly because it's in stock locally, and comes with 4 pairs of 3D glasses for ?650. Likely we'll be getting this unless there's an amazing deal people know of. I've linked it to the HDTV uk review site. The Wifi may come in handy, but not sure on that yet.

For other possibilities, 3D is not necessary, but a high refresh and good contrast ratio is. Current TV is 100Hz and 30,000:1 I think so better than those. A thin bezel as the current one is nearly two inch all the way around. The Samsung one we're looking at is miles smaller than the existing one so things in that region.

Here's what the current panel has started doing. Looking on the net it's down to the panel, not the PSU so not worth repairing. It usually does it on a cold startup until the unit has warmed up a bit, but today it's just doing it whenever it feels like it.

post-142176-0-85464900-1325269819_thumb.

I recommend the plasma TV i got on boxing day. From Comet, http://www.comet.co....lasma-TV/705543 it's great value for it's price. I really like this TV.

Also check my thread before choosing a TV.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1047557-lcd-tv-or-plasma-tv/page__pid__594554315__st__90#entry594554315

Edited by I_Kaplan

Nothing from Toshiba in my experience. I've had 2 Toshiba LCD HDTVs now, and they both had intermittent sound issues.

I recommend Samsung and LG. Both are great from my experience. Still using a CRT Samsung (flatscreen) for my desktop. I bought it used like 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Although everything is made to die within a year, these days.

I recommend Samsung and LG. Both are great from my experience. Still using a CRT Samsung (flatscreen) for my desktop. I bought it used like 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Although everything is made to die within a year, these days.

once ya upgrade to an LCD or LCD you will wonder how ya lived with the quality ya had with that CRT i am rocking a 23" Asus LED so damn badass also a friend rocking a Asus 23" from 2 years ago still like new in quality of picture

once ya upgrade to an LCD or LCD you will wonder how ya lived with the quality ya had with that CRT i am rocking a 23" Asus LED so damn badass also a friend rocking a Asus 23" from 2 years ago still like new in quality of picture

Until this dies, I have no reason to upgrade. Im not a pc gamer or anything. However, I may be upgrading soon because my buddy is giving me his old computer to give my ex and Im gonna take the graphics card out of it which requires DVI and this is obviously only VGA. I have seen no noticeable difference in them.

I'm really not much into the topic here, but as far as brand reliability and quality go, I'd say go for Samsung/LG panels.

This could be in another TV brand, but the panels, I'd make sure to get either Sammy or LG! (Y)

(There are probably more VERY good high-end panels, but these are the best known and common ones!)

Glassed Silver:mac

I have a 46" Bravia EX500 (I know, Sony right?) But I liked it so much that I went out and bought 6 more for all the bedrooms in my house plus the basement. Its a sweet tv. Got them for one hell of a sweet price, 355$ each due to a closeout from a local store here. I hope they end up lasting me for awile.

Picked up the Samsung 6 Series D6530 earlier today... Wow! That thing is so thin compared to the old model! And it's already been on for a few hours and I can't feel it kicking any heat out at all. Got Sky3D all enabled and managed to catch bits of Avatar earlier - the 3D on that really blew me away. Also tried Gullivers Travels but that wasn't anywhere near as effective.

Not yet sold on the whole wifi/smartTV yet - although I have played about with the BBC iPlayer and can see it's potential!

See if I can shift the old one now!

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late to the party on this thread else I would have thrown in a recomendation for the LG passive sets. I got a 47" one for Xmas last year and the thing is amazing and pretty cheap too. Reason I went passive over active is more the social side, within my group of friends we often have movie nights and I didn't fancy the idea of needing 7 spare pairs of active glasses when they are about ?60-?70 a pair. The passive 3D is great on it and if anyone tells you that it's not as sharp then I would be amazed if they can tell the difference.

If you want to try some other things out in 3D i can recommend Tangled 3D and also Monster v's Aliens, both are great examples of 3D done right.