Looking at Sigma 24-70 2.8 IF HSM

My Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is on its last legs. The optics are fine, but the zoom is very hard and it feels like it's grinding through sand. It's out of warranty now :( It's been one of my work horses for my sports photography, and thus has worn out.

So, no point in getting another DX lens since my next body will most likely be FX, so I'm looking for something cheap-ish. I wasn't planning on replacing my 17-50 when I made the jump to FX, so I don't mind going with a cheap non-nikkor lens.

I'm not too worried about optics as much as AF speed. Does anybody have any experience w/ this lens in terms of speed?

Here's an interesting review to look at which covers focus speeds amongst other things: http://www.slrgear.c...uct/1236/cat/31

However, I think you should consider that this lens will probably become your main lens once you make the jump to a Full Frame camera; due to this you may want to get a nice lens from the get go and not have to replace it once you acquire the FX camera. According to the review, the Sigma seems fine though not excellent.

It will not be a main lens for me. I'll be getting the 14-24mm f2.8. I currently own the 50mm f1.4 AF-S and 70-200mm. Besides shooting some sports (in which I do not care about image quality), I hardly use this focal length (17-50 on 1.5x crop roughly equals 24-70 on 1.0 crop).

Thanks for the review; i'll check it out!