Show us your Workstations! - 2012 Edition

Why do people always put their computer desks up against walls?

Where else would you stick a desk without having wires run all over the floor?

Putting furniture against the wall is usually the most efficient use of space (unless you have an oddly shaped room or something). I found as a kid that putting my bed against the wall ALSO maximized the space!

I don't really get the point of sticking your table out in the middle of the room, since you've probably got a large monitor blocking the view anyway. Aside from a few Apple monitors most monitors are ugly to look at from behind anyway.

It's not about maximizing the open space, it's about making the work area more usable. Flip your desk around and work facing the room for a week, it'll make you feel better. Having the desk against the wall may make more space in the middle of the room, but you're not going to be able to enjoy it because you're staring at a wall. It's not just the screen in front of you, but also the periphery. Open spaces will make your work area more comfortable.

Where else would you stick a desk without having wires run all over the floor?

It's not that hard and even if you see a few more wires I don't think it matters because your workspace is much more open and usable. The only thing that kept me sane while working in my fabric colored box was to put a plant between them.

My desk was against the wall for almost the entire duration of my undergrad. I could barely use it by the end of it because it just felt so claustrophobic because I was facing a wall all day. I then moved the desk across the room and made it face the center and it was a breath of fresh air. You may laugh at Feng Shui, but some of that stuff really does work.

Why do people always put their computer desks up against walls?

Nothing you can do about it, they can do whatever they want. You can not ask him/her to place the desk away from the wall because it is not your house. Everyone is entitled to their preferences when they are at their desk setup.

It's not about maximizing the open space, it's about making the work area more usable. Flip your desk around and work facing the room for a week, it'll make you feel better. Having the desk against the wall may make more space in the middle of the room, but you're not going to be able to enjoy it because you're staring at a wall. It's not just the screen in front of you, but also the periphery. Open spaces will make your work area more comfortable.

It's not that hard and even if you see a few more wires I don't think it matters because your workspace is much more open and usable. The only thing that kept me sane while working in my fabric colored box was to put a plant between them.

My desk was against the wall for almost the entire duration of my undergrad. I could barely use it by the end of it because it just felt so claustrophobic because I was facing a wall all day. I then moved the desk across the room and made it face the center and it was a breath of fresh air. You may laugh at Feng Shui, but some of that stuff really does work.

If you place the desk in the middle or away from the wall, you may not have room for gaming or whatever unless you have a biggest room in your house.

Remember this, not everyone have same method to use with their desk position which you weren't happy about facing the wall for hours. I am one of the those people who do not mind about facing the wall. I have a wall-mount TV on the wall and other things such as calendar which i can see calendar right next to my monitor instead of turning around to see it if I place my desk away from the wall. Get it?

I have an U-shaped desk that is placed in the corner of my office. I am in process of installing the shelves on wall above my desk. When this office is finished, I may post a picture on here sometime.

True, but to me desks have always "made sense" more placed against the wall. It's the one spot where wires aren't an issue, and the desk isn't in the way of anything.

Nothing you can do about it, they can do whatever they want. You can not ask him/her to place the desk away from the wall because it is not your house. Everyone is entitled to their preferences when they are at their desk setup.

If you place the desk in the middle or away from the wall, you may not have room for gaming or whatever unless you have a biggest room in your house.

Remember this, not everyone have same method to use with their desk position which you weren't happy about facing the wall for hours. I am one of the those people who do not mind about facing the wall. I have a wall-mount TV on the wall and other things such as calendar which i can see calendar right next to my monitor instead of turning around to see it if I place my desk away from the wall. Get it?

I have an U-shaped desk that is placed in the corner of my office. I am in process of installing the shelves on wall above my desk. When this office is finished, I may post a picture on here sometime.

Dude, I'm not telling anyone to rearrange their house. I noticed the almost absolute majority of people have their desks flat up against the wall. I suggested, big difference over ordering. This is a thread on a discussion forum about workstations. It is entirely appropriate to make suggestions, comments, or critques about said topic.

Placing a desk in the middle of the room isn't entirely necessary, I've just have great personal experiences having my desk perpendicular from the wall or at an angle in a corner and I had suggested it because it appears from the pictures in the thread that the vast majority of people never tried it. I've found it helped out a lot because most of the time when I'm in my office area I'm sitting at my desk, so facing the room allows me to enjoy the space and not just the wall.

I have mine against the wall cuase im a bit of a klutz and Id trip over my desk LOL...

also it looks better. I'm too messy to be anal about wires and stuff LOL.

Same old.. just a bit of clean up and some additions/changes to hardware

Daaaaamn - your house must be noticeable also....you know, being the only house within a 10mile radius that has any power. You must be causing other houses nearby to have brown outs :)

Seriously though the thing that caught my eye straight away was the Android tablet linked to your mounted screen - classy.

Also, if ever Specsavers wanted a poster boy for eye tests - it's you!

Heya... so here is my updated PC in my desk, all custom built!! :)

Specs on the rig :

Intel i7 2600k

Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 rev.3

16Gb RipJaw 1600Mhz ram

EVGA GTX460 FTW

OCZ Agility 3 120Gb

OCZ 1000w ZX PSU

apologies for the pics not being as good as they should!! :)

Still work in progress! CPU temp : 30 ... GPU temp : 35

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

• Like 2

Daaaaamn - your house must be noticeable also....you know, being the only house within a 10mile radius that has any power. You must be causing other houses nearby to have brown outs :)

Seriously though the thing that caught my eye straight away was the Android tablet linked to your mounted screen - classy.

Also, if ever Specsavers wanted a poster boy for eye tests - it's you!

ha ha ha

Heya... so here is my updated PC in my desk, all custom built!! :)

Specs on the rig :

Intel i7 2600k

Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 rev.3

16Gb RipJaw 1600Mhz ram

EVGA GTX460 FTW

OCZ Agility 3 120Gb

OCZ 1000w ZX PSU

apologies for the pics not being as good as they should!! :)

Still work in progress! CPU temp : 30 ... GPU temp : 35

Sweet!!

Hrmm have an idea for how to cure global warming,,,,

hehe nah sweet setup dude, actually its kind of overkill but ah yeah I still want it :)

Been a while since I took a picture of my work setup...

Computers:

- Mac Pro 2009 - 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 6GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770 1GB

- MacBook Pro Mid-2011 - 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 6750M 512MB

- HP Desktop - 3.0 GHz Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Onboard Graphics

Monitors:

- 2x Dell 1907FP (1024x1280)

- 2x Dell 1707FP (1024x1280)

- Dell 2330L (1920x1080)

Ergotron 4x4 Monitor Stand

Other:

Apple TV 2

Apple iPad 2

Monoprice 8x6" Drawing Tablet

Computers are all linked to the single keyboard/mouse/trackpad via Synergy. AppleTV used mostly for playing music and AirPlay mirroring of the iPad 2.

image.jpeg?psid=1

Nothing like a forum thread to motivate you to clean off your desk. :p

Here is my desk set up.

6enTBl.jpg

3Y9uPl.jpg

2xeoIl.jpg

It's not actually that bright in the dark. It's actually quite soothing. I like to think of it as my own personal aurora borealis. :sorcerer:

I know, I need a new monitor. :omg:

• Like 1

Really like your Setup with all the monitors and the big desk looks awesome

Hmm... mine does have a high-pitched whine and I thought it was the i5. I will try another one when I have money.

The IDE cable only connects the DVD Drive. I barely use it anyway. Only to install windows :p.

You can install Windows via Pen drive now! :p

I was looking at everyone else set ups and I decided to upload some pics of mine. All the stuff you see on my tv is not dirt or rage marks, it is just the reflection from my camera. I don't have a really good camera so I have to use my phone and being a phone a lot of the pictures are noisy.

I'm not a hoarder, I am just lazy. I am not a youngster I am 18. As for the animals they are always in my room so I thought I would through them in the picture as well. I would of also taken a picture of my dog but I couldn't get a good one of him. Sorry for the quality. Phone camera duky. I build the hole pc my self.

The desk if anyone is wondering is from walmart. Had to get a new desk because my old one wouldn't fit the Corsair Obsidian 800D under it. The desk is called L-Shaped Desk and it was $99.99. If you are wondering where the L is, it is in the corner of my room because if I put it on the desk, it will block the tv.

Monitor is an Asus 27' 50000000:1 contrast ration, 2ms response time. If you need me to be specific just ask.

GPU is 2x 2GB XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 in CrossFireX.

RAM is 24GB of Kingston HyperX t1 Black series RAM at 1604MHz

Cooler is Corsair H50 with pull push configuration, NOT push pull, pull push using themaltake smart blue led fans. 95CFM 38CFM OMFG!!! LOUD!!!

Asus blu-ray burner

some dvd burner that came with my old computer that was from Futureshop.

CPU is an i7 960 at 3.84GHz with vcore at 1.3

Blackmagic intensity Pro Capture Card.

A wireless card that also came with my old computer from futureshop

PSU: Thermaltake 750W TR2 Rx Modular

2x seagate 1TB HDD 7200RPM (Not in raid, these are for software, movies, music, etc...)

1x 300GB WD VelociRapter 10K RPM for OS

MOBO is Asus Sabertooth x58

Mouse is a R.A.T 7 (Awesome MOuse)

KB is a stupid MS sidewinder x4

post-400598-0-81056700-1327621282_thumb.

post-400598-0-79139100-1327621310_thumb.

post-400598-0-32297000-1327621319_thumb.

post-400598-0-80833000-1327621328_thumb.

post-400598-0-95172100-1327621338_thumb.

post-400598-0-55377200-1327621347_thumb.

post-400598-0-10687100-1327621355_thumb.