What plays 1080p butter smooth?

SionicIon

When I got a low-profile ATI DX11 Graphics Card, I had in mind better animations in Zune Software like the Now Playing screen. It served up to those requests and played 1080p butter smooth. At least I thought it did? It could not a play a bluray rip of Avatar that was about 40 gigabytes in VLC smoothly...Ok, so what's up with that? Well then I played the same bluray rip in Windows Media Player 12 and it was perfectly fine BUT you could see a lot of details were being blurred, so quality took a hit for performance in Windows Media Player... VLC did not try to balance quality and performance and therefore you could see quickly when people were talking, the sounds and video were not in sync, and in action scenes, it was completely crap.

It bothers me that all this hardware is out there as 1080p capable, or 1080p ready, but you know, when I got something that could do 1080p, it couldn't handle it and Windows Media Player hid the issue by degrading the quality...I didn't get the Avatar bluray rip for nothing, I wanted quality and performance.

How do bluray players handle quality and performance together? Do they degrade quality to up performance like Windows Media Player? Or do they have sufficent hardware to handle both butter smooth? How can I find hardware that can handle the two together?

Oh and I also have to mention, I was playing it on a projector connected via either DVI or HDMI. I do not believe that projector was 1080p either, it might have been 1600x1200.

Edited by SHoTTa35
No need to bring up sources.
andrew_f

Most modern gaming graphics card won't struggle at 1080p at all. What card is it?

Roger H.

Probably all video cards out there can do hardware decoding to decode bluray just fine, even built in video cards can do it just fine. Usually it's a matter of HDD being able to push out the data fast enough to decode it. VLC's codecs aren't say the best usually either so you might get problems with those. You say 40GB so that's uncompressed which should only 30-40Mbps so it should be able to easily.

• Like 1
itsthenewDC

The data rate is most likely causing the issue. 1080p can come in a variety of low and high data rates.

The_Observer

What media player are you using. have you tried VLC and turn on the part to use your video card?

StealMySoda

Chances are VLC isn't using hardware decoding. Tools > Preferences > Inputs & Codecs > Use GPU Acceleration.

fsX

What media player are you using. have you tried VLC and turn on the part to use your video card?

Did you even read the original post?

Vice

Check your CPU usage when you play that Avatar film. Whilst the GPU can decode it, it still needs the CPU to feed it the data and that can cause a large burden especially if its a 40GB rip over 1 hour and 62 minutes that would equate to a bitrate of 33.68Mb/ps for almost 2 hours straight and of course some scenes will be more graphically intensive than others raising the bitrate much higher if the film is encoded with a variable bitrate (which it should be)

lunamonkey

My 4550 plays Real bluray disks in the PowerDVD bundle that come with my drive. Equally rips (20GB mkv) will play fine also in MPC-HC when using DXVA.

I'd say check that hardware acceleration is enabled. The CPU on my machine isn't touched when enabled and they load ~instantly~ from a traditional hard drive.

pupdawg21

The thing that confuses most people when it comes to 1080P video is that the 1080P video on a physical blu-ray disc is not the same as the video that you will find in a downloaded 1080P rip or conversion.

Most video cards now can handle the 1080P encoded on a blu-ray disc without breaking a sweat buttery smooth using hardware acceleration. However, a downloaded 1080P rip might not be encoded using the same methods that can be hardware accelerated, as such the graphics card won't be decoding and playing the video, instead your CPU will be doing all of the work and may result in a less than ideal playback experience where you will experience some break up or choppiness without a fast CPU. You may even notice that your CPU does not appear to be stressed fully when the video plays but the software decoder for the video just may not work very well or decompress very fast on your system in addition to any Hard disk drive bottlenecks that could be introduced.

BigCheese

Your 5550 is perfectly fine for decoding 1080p video.

Your VLC is probably not set to use hardware decoding and in any case VLC is not really the best quality media player to use. I use MPC-HC which is generaly very highly regarded. One nice thing about MPC-HC is that if it is using hardware decoding, it will say explicitly at the bottom "Playing (DXVA)".

Reacon

Try using www.cccp-project.net with MPC instead of VLC. It's much more versatile and efficient when it comes to performance.

ToneKnee

Might be worth posting the rest of the system specs as well to rule out any other possibility. But I agree with everyone else with it being a software problem with DXVA not being enabled.

ArialBlue

PowerColor AX5550 512MK3-H Radeon HD 5550 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131355

It was a low-profile graphics card I got last year.

LOL YOU FUNNY

That should run everything.

The_Observer

Did you even read the original post?

:argh:

jesseinsf

Make sure your power supply can handle more than 400 watts. I use a 750 watt power supply to make sure that everything gets the correct power. It's always good to get a power supply that is close to double the video card requirement.

Lord Zog

Try MPC-HC and see if it still does this. VLC has been known for a while to have issues with 20Mbit or so and higher, it just can't handle it.

torrentthief

try MPC-HC and PowerDVD.

Your card should definately be able to cope with it.

Mouettus

Make sure your power supply can handle more than 400 watts. I use a 750 watt power supply to make sure that everything gets the correct power. It's always good to get a power supply that is close to double the video card requirement.

Wow... that's a dumb answer!

jesseinsf

Wow... that's a dumb answer!

Dude, I'm not here to bash anyone. Sometimes the said media player's setting don't help so this is where knowing your systems and all of it's requirements are taken into consideration. When building a rig you should always keep in mind the power requirements of everything in your PC. If you just have a 400 watt power supply then you are looking for trouble. All the other components are using power too. His card should not have a problem playing anything. I also hope he isn't using registry cleaners and PC tweaking tools. Also be careful when updating the ATI drivers. I found it best to completely remove the old software and drivers before installing the new ones. One last thing, for your Blu-Ray Avatar film you should do a Blu-Ray/DVD and HDD benchmark to see if the Data transfer rate requirements are met (most likely everything will be ok but it won't hurt to check). There are many Scenario for his issue and I'm just giving a few of them. We all would like a fluid like response to everything we do on our PCs. Hopefully someone here can come up with a solution for him. :-)

philcruicks

Chances are VLC isn't using hardware decoding. Tools > Preferences > Inputs & Codecs > Use GPU Acceleration.

+1 GPU acceleration may be the answer...or as other have suggested try a different player.
watchthisspace

What is the rest of your system specs?

• Like 1