What plays 1080p butter smooth?

Dude, I'm not here to bash anyone. Sometimes the said media player's setting don't help so this is where knowing your systems and all of it's requirements are taken into consideration. When building a rig you should always keep in mind the power requirements of everything in your PC. If you just have a 400 watt power supply then you are looking for trouble. All the other components are using power too. ...

I would agree with concept, that might be important, but unlikely. Also it is the quality not so much the wattage that is important.And where are you pulling out these figures? 400W asking for trouble! Common...A system with HD5550 is unlikely to draw above 200W under load. It would need to have high end and overclocked CPU to do that and/or a lot of hard drives or peripherals. Also there would be other stability problems besides just choppy video as the hardware decoding on GPU does not require a lot of resources.To sum up, it is most likely a software issue.

I have an ATI HD 4200 on a dual-core 2.1 laptop and everything plays just fine - 720p rips use ~ 3% cpu, 1080p 10gb rips (The Thin Red Line) play using about 10% cpu. The key is MPC-HC using the gpu (either set using EVR or EVR Sync/Preset) and using Shark007.net 's codec pack which is awesome. Be sure to get mpc-hc from his page, too, as it's tweaked to use the aforementioned codecs. Seriously helpful forum if you can't get it working, but personally default everything works wonderfully for me.

Remove any/all other codec solutions before using this so nothing clashes, but worry not, this will play everything. And super-fast mkv thumbnailing, too :)

I would agree with concept, that might be important, but unlikely. Also it is the quality not so much the wattage that is important.And where are you pulling out these figures? 400W asking for trouble! Common...A system with HD5550 is unlikely to draw above 200W under load. It would need to have high end and overclocked CPU to do that and/or a lot of hard drives or peripherals. Also there would be other stability problems besides just choppy video as the hardware decoding on GPU does not require a lot of resources.To sum up, it is most likely a software issue.

400 watts was taken from the models minimum requirements on the manufacturer's website. If all he has is 1 HDD, 1 Blu-Ray Burner, A CPU that produces under 100watts at full load, 4 GB of mem, 1 HD5550 then 400 watts will be ok. But if he adds other internal peripherals then he should consider a better PS. Most graphics cards require a minimum of 400watts. Anyway wattage aside, his issue may just be a bad driver. I have a nvidia card and the last driver update rendered my live TV useless so they gave me a beta driver and everything went back to normal. My point here is that his issue can be anything from excessive HDD usage to a bad driver to a bad video codec to a bad registry cleaner to bad system tweaking and possibly a lack of power. I use J.river media center and it seems to work for me. As you can see, power to me should be clean and well enough to spare because you never know when you need or want to upgrade something.

When I got a low-profile ATI DX11 Graphics Card, I had in mind better animations in Zune Software like the Now Playing screen. It served up to those requests and played 1080p butter smooth. At least I thought it did? It could not a play a bluray rip of Avatar that was about 40 gigabytes in VLC smoothly...Ok, so what's up with that? Well then I played the same bluray rip in Windows Media Player 12 and it was perfectly fine BUT you could see a lot of details were being blurred, so quality took a hit for performance in Windows Media Player... VLC did not try to balance quality and performance and therefore you could see quickly when people were talking, the sounds and video were not in sync, and in action scenes, it was completely crap.

It bothers me that all this hardware is out there as 1080p capable, or 1080p ready, but you know, when I got something that could do 1080p, it couldn't handle it and Windows Media Player hid the issue by degrading the quality...I didn't get the Avatar bluray rip for nothing, I wanted quality and performance.

How do bluray players handle quality and performance together? Do they degrade quality to up performance like Windows Media Player? Or do they have sufficent hardware to handle both butter smooth? How can I find hardware that can handle the two together?

Oh and I also have to mention, I was playing it on a projector connected via either DVI or HDMI. I do not believe that projector was 1080p either, it might have been 1600x1200.

Put aside everything I said and try other media players. also make sure your drivers are always up to date. You can use jriver media center for free for 30 days. I have been using this media player for a few years now and the developers seem to be Videophiles/Audiophiles (use other players as well). If nothing else works then give us more details about your PC. We need to know what's under the hood. :-). Also let us know what applications are always running (also include virus scanners that you may be running).

Several factors matter in video playback. In case of VLC especially, the video renderer used and the decoder. On Windows 7, the best performance would be achieved IMHO with something like CoreAVC+the Enhanced Video Renderer which MPC-HC supports. But even Windows Media Player 12 or MPC-HC with EVR and ffdshow should be able to play it smooth.

One great improvement in Windows 8 when it arrives is that using the Overlay Mixer, the fastest method of video rendering, no longer turns off Aero. So if you have a case where you GOT to have a smooth playback, you can use the Overlay Mixer+MPC-HC. That should easily play 1080p video without ANY stuttering, lag, AV sync issues or tearing.

VLC doesnt have gpu acceleration enabled by default. the skipping was probably due to decoding a 40gb video in software. Go to Options > Input and check "Enable GPU acceleration (experimental)".

You could also try using MPC-HC which has dxva enabled by default, and has better quality than wmp or vlc. That card should handle any video acceleration just fine.

One great improvement in Windows 8 when it arrives is that using the Overlay Mixer, the fastest method of video rendering, no longer turns off Aero. So if you have a case where you GOT to have a smooth playback, you can use the Overlay Mixer+MPC-HC. That should easily play 1080p video without ANY stuttering, lag, AV sync issues or tearing.

Wouldn't that just be because Aero can be done in software now when the hardware sucks? I can't imagine MS bringing back an old DirectX 5/6 tech when it was replaced years ago with better things.