(Legally?) Use OS X in VMWare

whitebread

Is there a way to legally run OS X in VMWare if you don't own a Mac? I'm willing to buy a copy of OS X. I have heard that you can legally run the server version of OS X as a virtual machine.

Assuming there is a legal way to do it, how do I do it? My end goal is to create an iPhone application, and AFAIK I need XCode to do it. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to buy a Macbook or an iMac. I considered getting a Mac Mini but (again, AFAIK) don't you need an Apple-approved monitor to use a Mac Mini? And aren't the monitors very expensive?

Travelar

AFAIK OSX Server is the only Mac OS authorized to be run in a VM. On that note, I don't know the specifics, but I am going to guess that it's only licensed on an OSX Host.

It is possible to run any flavor of OSX in a VM, but that would not be legal. A quick Google search should give you some information.

jackslade

Not sure about running the client version in vmware (don't think it is legal), but a mac mini doesn't need an apple approved monitor. You can use any monitor, keyboard, mouse with it.

• Like 1
Elliott

You can only run OS X in VMware on Mac hardware. The OS X Lion EULA lets you run both client and server in VMware, but again, only on Mac hardware.

+Frank B.

The Mac Mini works with non-Apple monitors and input devices.

As to the legality of OS X in VMware - it's legal to virtualise OS X Lion Clients on OS X hosts. Virtualisation of OS X on non-Mac hosts is prohibited by the EULA afaik.

whitebread
<Snip>

Virtualisation of OS X on non-Mac hosts is prohibited by the EULA afaik.

That sucks... :(

I know that places like Amazon allow you to connect to a virtual machine of Windows or Linux through a remote desktop client. Are there any hosts that let you connect to an OS X install so I could use XCode?

The Guvnor

In India its legal to run and build hackintoshes & as long as you own the software you are free to do as you please. Not to mention Apple's stance is weakened when they refuse to offer any warranty on any product running on a non mac device.

Miuku.

No kidding, they're not offering warranty on a product that they didn't design for the software to run on.

I wonder if Microsoft gives warranty on running SQL Server 2010 on Linux.

Pam14160

You know if I go out and buy a copy of Mac OS, whatever, and decide to run it in a VM do you really think I care what Apple thinks. Or, for that matter what the ELUA states I can do or not do. If I was able to figure a way to run OS X in a VM then I would have never spent the money for my iMac 24".

ndoggfromhell

Illegal is a stretch here. It's forbidden in the EULA, but unless you're doing it in a competitive way it's probably not enforced by Apple. No one is going to jail for building a hackintosh! Apple went after phystar (I think that was the name) for selling hackintosh systems, but they were direct competition with Apple. A home user getting OSX to work on unapproved hardware isn't going to cripple the Apple business plan. If anything, it's going to strengthen it cause you're getting used to OSX and now you want to get more apple products. I'm running a stable hackintosh and have done so for over a year. If they continue to make the mac pro, i'll probably buy one when I retire this system.

Do some research, grab some hack-approved hardware, get an official snow leopard disc, have yourself a mac and xcode.

Night Prowler

You know if I go out and buy a copy of Mac OS, whatever, and decide to run it in a VM do you really think I care what Apple thinks. Or, for that matter what the ELUA states I can do or not do. If I was able to figure a way to run OS X in a VM then I would have never spent the money for my iMac 24".

Should it be against the law to purchase Apple Software if you don't own any official Apple hardware.

I've seen Snow Leopard running on a Windows box on VMWare 8. If you had the two side by side you would not be able to tell the difference.

PGHammer

Should it be against the law to purchase Apple Software if you don't own any official Apple hardware.

I've seen Snow Leopard running on a Windows box on VMWare 8. If you had the two side by side you would not be able to tell the difference.

Whether virtual or bare-metal, OS X (back to Leopard, in fact) has been runnable on a large (in fact, surprisingly large) amount of non-Apple hardware.

Despite that, the very reason for the End-Upser License Agreement in OS X since Leopard (and the antagonistic stance of Apple Legal toward non-Apple hardware and OS X) is due to the very thing that separates OS X from all other operating systems - the closedness of the ecosystem. While technically (or even legally), the EULA may not be worth the brainpower used to write it (given how different jurisdictions treat the EULA), image (or even perception) is what's important here - not reality (which can differ markedly from either image or perception - just ask any fraud victim).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      VMware Workstation Player 16.1.0
      by Razvan Serea

VMware Player is the easiest way to run multiple operating systems at the same time on your computer.
      With its user-friendly interface, VMware Player makes it effortless for anyone to try out Windows 10, Chrome OS or the latest Linux releases, or to create virtual "sandboxes" to test pre-release software in. VMware Player can also be used to run a virtual copy of an old PC so that you can recycle the old machines you have under your desk or stored in the closet.

Run multiple operating systems simultaneously on a single computer Experience the benefits of preconfigured products without any installation or configuration hassles Share data between host computer and virtual machine Run 32- and 64-bit virtual machines Use 3rd-party pre-configured virtual machines and images Share data between the host computer and virtual machine Broad host and guest operating system support Support for USB 2.0 devices Gain easy access to virtual machines via an intuitive home page interface What's new in VMware Workstation Player 16.1.0:

New host/guest operating system support:

Windows 10 20H2 Ubuntu 20.10 Fedora 33 RHEL 8.3 Updated vctl kind to support KIND v0.9.0 Resolved issues:

The Exporting Cluster Logs functionality in kind does not work. The user cannot use kind to export cluster logs for exploring. This issue is resolved. Cannot start the virtual machine after upgrade to VMWare Workstation 16.0 on openSuSE 15.1 Leap Host. The virtual machine is not able to start. Every machine hangs at the "waiting for connection" phase. This issue is resolved. Virtual machine won't start when enhanced keyboard is set to "Required" in VMware Workstation 16.0. The virtual machine boot up on the Microsoft Windows host takes long time and it appears as if the virtual machine does not start when the enhanced keyboard is set to "Required". This issue is resolved. Download: VMware Workstation Player 16.1.0 | 215.0 MB (Free for personal use)
      View: VMware Player Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.0
      by Razvan Serea

VMware Workstation provides a seamless way to access all of the virtual machines you need, regardless of where they are running. Remotely connect to virtual machines running on VMware vSphere, ESXi or another copy of VMware Workstation. Workstation’s web interface lets you access local and server hosted virtual machines from your PC, smart phone, tablet or any device with a modern browser. Run applications on multiple operating systems including Linux, Windows and more at the same time on the same PC without rebooting. Evaluate and test new operating systems, applications and patches in an isolated environment.

Take Your Productivity to the Next Level

Run applications on multiple operating systems including Linux, Windows and more at the same time on the same PC without rebooting. Evaluate and test new operating systems, applications and patches in an isolated environment. Demonstrate complex software applications on a single laptop in a repeatable, reliable manner. Consolidate multiple computers running web servers, database servers, etc. onto a single machine. Build reference architectures for evaluation before deploying into production. Simply drag and drop to move your virtual machines from your PC to vSphere, or the cloud. VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.0 support for new host/guest operating systems:

Windows 10 20H2 Ubuntu 20.10 Fedora 33 RHEL 8.3 Updated vctl kind to support KIND v0.9.0 Includes docker-machine-driver-vmware Resolved Issues

The Exporting Cluster Logs functionality in kind does not work. The user cannot use kind to export cluster logs for exploring. This issue is resolved.

Cannot power on VM running on the old workstation or ESXi server by connecting to the server. While connecting to the old version of VMware Workstation or VMware ESXi servers to power on a remoting virtual machine, the following error displays: Unable to connect to the MKS: vim.fault.GenericVmConfigFault. This issue is resolved.

Cannot start the virtual machine after upgrade to VMWare Workstation 16.0 on openSuSE 15.1 Leap Host. The virtual machine is not able to start. Every machine hangs at the "waiting for connection" phase. This issue is resolved.

Virtual machine won't start when enhanced keyboard is set to "Required" in VMware Workstation 16.0 . The virtual machine boot up on the Microsoft Windows host takes long time and it appears as if the virtual machine does not start when the enhanced keyboard is set to "Required". This issue is resolved.

Product Support Notices

Deprecation of the Shared virtual machine feature - The Shared virtual machine feature (VMware Workstation as server) is being deprecated. It will remain in its present form for the remainder of the VMware Workstation 16 product life. This feature will be not available in a future release. Download: VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.0 | 622.0 MB (Shareware)
      View: VMware Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      IBM, Red Hat and others want inclusive language in software
      by Paul Hill

IBM, Red Hat and VMWare are among several companies that have come together to create the Inclusive Naming Initiative which aims to eliminate problematic language from projects and replace them with an agreed set of neutral terms. To do this, the initiative will define processes and tools to remove harmful language from projects.

Some of the processes and tools which the Inclusive Naming Initiative will be creating include a comprehensive list of terms with replacements, language evaluation frameworks and templates, and infrastructure to aid the transition.

Explaining the need for more inclusive words, the initiative says:

Initially, attention will be aimed at replacing the terms ‘master’, ‘slave’, ‘whitelist’ and ‘blacklist’ because these are the most visible and problematic across the industry. Over time, it will expand its scope to find replacements for other terms that reference mental health, gender, physical handicaps, and several other categories. In the future, it might also give tips to avoid colloquialisms that don’t translate into other languages very well or are a barrier to understanding.

While some people may be against the changing of these terms, the Inclusive Naming Initiative argues that the neutral terms are more descriptive, for example, it says that ‘Denylist’ is more precise and more accurate than ‘blacklist’.

Source: Inclusive Naming Initiative via Phoronix

• By Ather Fawaz
      IBM and AMD join forces to improve security on their virtual machines powering AI workloads
      by Ather Fawaz

The past couple of days have seen some important announcements in the domain of artificial intelligence (AI). Sony entered the field of AI-powered drones with the launch of Airpeak, and Silicon Valley-based startup Mipsology joined hands with Japanese software development firm OKI IDS to further AI-based image processing in Japan using Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FGPAs). Now, there's another addition to this list.

Today, IBM and AMD announced a multi-year joint development partnership under which the two firms will work together to extend and improve their security and AI offerings. At the heart of the agreement is the aim to further Confidential Computing, which is a technology that encrypts data running on virtual machines—while workloads are running—using hardware solutions.

This provides an additional layer of security, inhibiting malicious actors from stealing data in the event of a break-in. The goal of the partnership is to ease hybrid cloud adoption for highly regulated businesses or organizations that are concerned about unauthorized access to data in use in the public cloud. The two firms aim to realize this idea with open-source software, standards, and system architectures in hybrid cloud environments, including AI and high-performance computing (HPC) workloads and others that use virtualization and encryption.

"The commitment of AMD to technological innovation aligns with our mission to develop and accelerate the adoption of the hybrid cloud to help connect, secure and power our digital world", said Dario Gil, Director of IBM Research. Meanwhile the Executive Vice President and CTO of AMD, Mark Papermaster, claimed that "this agreement between AMD and IBM aligns well with our long-standing commitment to collaborating with leaders in the industry. AMD is excited to extend our work with IBM on AI, accelerating data center workloads, and improving security across the cloud."