• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft should make its own Windows 8 PCs

alexalex    75

http://www.pcpro.co....n-windows-8-pcs

The PC world is stumbling, and if it falls it?s going to bring Microsoft tumbling down with it. But there?s a solution: it?s time for Microsoft to start making PCs.

The tech world is moving towards tablets and apps, and that could cause trouble for Microsoft in the long run. At the moment, more than nine in ten computers run Windows, but sales of PCs are essentially flat, while sales of smartphones, tablets and Macs are skyrocketing, posting growth well above traditional PCs for 22 consecutive quarters.

That all adds up to a stagnating market for Microsoft?s core software business, and it?s already starting to show, with its latest round of results showing weak PC sales were hurting Windows. Microsoft must do something....

While starting a PC business might seem insane given the state of the market, Microsoft isn?t starting from scratch. It already has a hugely successful PC hardware business in the form of the Xbox ? which is a PC in all but name. Yes, there were ?red ring of death? issues early on, but that bit of hardware has helped the entertainment division contribute $9 billion in quarterly revenue, and proves the public will happily buy made-by-Microsoft kit.

If Microsoft can?t ramp up its own manufacturing plant, it doesn?t have to. Microsoft?s latest round of results show it?s sitting on a $57 billion mountain of cash. It could easily buy a PC maker; it might even be enough to tempt HP to change its mind about selling its PC business.

Regardless of how it?s made, a Microsoft PC has the potential to anger existing partners. But what?s Dell or Asus going to do: start running Ubuntu instead? Lovely as the Linux OS has become, OEMs are as locked into Windows as they?ve ever been. As long as Microsoft plays nicely with licensing fees, there?s no reason why they should lose out ? quite the opposite if it drives consumer spending back to the PC market....

This year's arrival of Windows 8 gives Microsoft the perfect opportunity to break into the hardware market. Instead of unveiling the new OS on a Dell, Asus or Acer, imagine if Microsoft unveiled the new OS perfectly optimised on its own slick Ultrabook, tablet or all-in-one PC. Is it too fantastic to picture people queuing around the corner to get into the Microsoft Store?

Jeston    400

No.

Daedroth    491

It will never happen.

BetaAddict    107

As much as I would like MS to institute some kind of quality control as they do with WP7, it likely will never going to happen simply because you can't change the way an industry works without strong opposition and inflicting high costs on OEMs to meet new standards. But sadly, I am getting fed up with the crap quality PCs that are being sold these days. It just seems that no matter how much you spend, you can rarely find a laptop that is designed properly enough to handle the usage it was marketed for. I'm not just talking about the cheap $500 one, but even the mid-range to high-end laptops that you buy for $1000 like the one I have and I can barely squeeze out more than 2 hours of of video on a 9 cell battery on power saver mode with wifi off, brightness dimmed to lowest setting, and running minimal background apps as possible. Heck, I can't even get through two lectures of note-taking on that laptop because the fan runs the whole time even though I am just using MS Word. Yet, a macbook pro can get more than 3 times more battery life without having to resort to any of those measures. They keep this up and I might actually end up purchasing an mbp, something I was so sure that would never happen 5 years ago because I thought the money wasn't worth it. I'd still run Windows through boot camp on it every chance I get, even then the performance and battery life will still outrun almost any pc laptop.

Muhammad Farrukh    1,080

Noooooooooo

deep1234    1

Please no.

ahhell    1,303

For the last ****ing time, PCs aren't going anywhere.

• Like 1

FMH    717

It won't happen, unless Microsoft wants to bankrupt their OEMs!

+Human.Online    8,553

Oh you and your common sense!

DeadEndAccount    508

bah, I don't think they give a toss about the OEM's if they started making their own computers - the biggest threat to the idea is the DOJ and EU Competition Commission - both would block any attempts.

I would love to see Microsoft computes completely devoid of crapware, spyware and adware in favour of a vanilla Windows installation along with Live Essentials and Microsoft Security Essentials with the option of Microsoft Office but I doubt it'll happen.

+Human.Online    8,553

I don't think they give a toss about the OEM's if they started making their own computers

You obviously have NO idea how Microsoft make the majority of their revenue then!

chrisj1968    1,417

if their PC's run as well as their software... mmmm -no, :/ what a stupid topic to bring up. However, bill gates DID do what he intended to do, bring down PC prices so more homes will have them.

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,553

if their PC's run as well as their software... mmmm -no

Oh, ho ho ho. Let's mock Microsoft by claiming their software runs poorly. Except on decent hardware with decent drivers, it's just fine. But hey the issues must be Microsofts fault..

monkey13    75

Someone would sue for some kind of antitrust. Microsoft can't even put in their own browser without problems. If they started providing their own PC with Windows on them someone would kick off.

Why is "The PC world stumbling"? Windows 7 is great. Almost every man, woman, child and dog has at least a laptop these days. Yes Apple are doing well but what people don't seem to realise that it is still an expanding market and PCs are still doing well as the market leaders. How else is Microsoft getting this massive mountain of cash we keep hearing about? Xbox live subscriptions?

• Like 1

Coi    44

They won't make PC's for the same reason they didn't buy HP's PC division: Other PC makers will start to see Microsoft as a competitor.

The_Decimator    39
It already has a hugely successful PC hardware business in the form of the Xbox ? which is a PC in all but name.

A console isn't a PC...

Miuku.    364

It will never happen.

"Microsoft will never enter the hardware market"

Oops, keyboard, mice, webcams etc.

"Microsoft will never enter the gaming market".

Oh really.

And so forth.

+Human.Online    8,553
Microsoft will never enter the hardware market
Microsoft will never enter the gaming market

Please attribute a reliable source for each of those quotes, as they seem to be pretty much bull****

Muhammad Farrukh    1,080

*facepalm*

• Like 1

Miuku.    364

Please attribute a reliable source for each of those quotes, as they seem to be pretty much bull****

It's called "peoples opinions on the internet that are extremely reliable and valid".

"Microsoft will never.. <insert something here>" yet they almost always tend to prove people wrong. Sometimes the get it right, sometimes they screw it up but either way none of us is a prophet and none of us has inside information on what they're doing or planning in the future.

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,553

So basically you are saying that people talk **** about stuff they don't know **** about? ;)

Miuku.    364

Bingo!

• Like 1

htcz    74

This is one of the most stupidest articles Ive seen.

monkey13    75

Just thinking about this more. If the PC market if failing (it isn't) and that is currently Microsoft's biggest market why would they want to tie themselves to it further?

I would guess that their whole plan is to diversify hence the phones, tablet, xbox, purchase of skype etc... So that they aren't just tied to one market. When you have that much cash why not.

Joey S    30

For the last ****ing time, PCs aren't going anywhere.

Music CD's aren't going anywhere either.. Oh wait..

PC's will become a niche market at best in the future. Mobility and portability rule the future. If you can't see that, then there's no hope for you.