Microsoft should make its own Windows 8 PCs

PC's will become a niche market at best in the future. Mobility and portability rule the future. If you can't see that, then there's no hope for you.

If you believe that a PC and "mobility and portability" are mutually exclusive, there's even less hope for you.

Just thinking about this more. If the PC market if failing (it isn't)

A failing (more like ailing) market starts with stagnant growth, then it starts to decline, and then.. well, we all know what happens next. Will the PC market disappear tomorrow? No, but it's pretty obvious where the future is headed, and traditional PC's don't have a role it in.

It's been mocked many times when people have claimed Microsoft is going to die a thousand deaths, but I think this time is different. They're actually becoming more and more irrelevant. The only thing they are capable of is playing catchup and reaching feature parity. Microsoft might not disappear in five years, but the death knell has sounded for Windows and the only market it can inhabit - the PC.

If you believe that a PC and "mobility and portability" are mutually exclusive, there's even less hope for you.

I never said they were. However, the vast majority of consumers won't be using traditional PC's in the future, hence the niche market caveat. I have no doubt PC's will exist in certain disicplines like software development, image manipulation, and super computing for a while yet. The average consumer is a different matter. The numbers don't lie. PC shipment growth is stagnant, while mobile is growing exponentially. Draw your own conclusions.

I never said they were. However, the vast majority of consumers won't be using traditional PC's in the future. And so "PC"s will become "a computer in some form". How are "PC"'s dwindling then?

Especially seeing as Win8 looks to be a multi-platform OS.

A failing (more like ailing) market starts with stagnant growth, then it starts to decline, and then.. well, we all know what happens next. Will the PC market disappear tomorrow? No, but it's pretty obvious where the future is headed, and traditional PC's don't have a role it in.

Need to look beyond our own advance tech and the fact that we are moving on from PCs (Euro/US Although most people still have one). A huge chunk of the world (India/China/South America) are just coming to the party. Can't see them paying a fortune for tablets and the latest iHype.

Need to look beyond our own advance tech and the fact that we are moving on from PCs (Euro/US Although most people still have one). A huge chunk of the world (India/China/South America) are just coming to the party. Can't see them paying a fortune for tablets and the latest iHype.

I can get an Android 4.0 (ICS) capacitive screen tablet right now for ?80, and in India/China they're even cheaper. I read about one in india that's going for $30 or less. In fact, the cost of electricity and internet bandwidth is more burdensome for developing countries in asia than the devices themselves, hence the reason tablets, phones and other low energy devices are so popular.

I would like to see this, as it would show just how stable and ProblemLess Windows is, but all the manufactures would moan and groan about anticompetitive.

PC's are not going anywhere and so are Microsoft..... These are just some stupid articles!!!

Windows 8 is far better than Win 7.

I wonder what is so better in Win 8 that is no more than a dressed up Win NT/2000, just like Win 7.

I wonder what is so better in Win 8 that is no more than a dressed up Win NT/2000, just like Win 7.

Have you tried WIn 8 developer preview? Its Sleeps/wakes up in a second. I have seen many speed and battery improvements.

My laptop battery stays longer than before. Obviously its a DP so think about RTM.

so many improvement in the services like some service only starts when needed and that improves battery and performance.

http://blogs.msdn.co...spx?PageIndex=1

check this

http://blogs.msdn.co...-windows-8.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.co...ows-update.aspx

Oh please do give it a rest. Every OS could be argued as a redress of a previous one.

Have you tried WIn 8 developer preview? Its Sleeps/wakes up in a second. I have seen many speed and battery improvements.

My laptop battery stays longer than before. Obviously its a DP so image about RTM.

so many improvement in the services like some service only starts when needed and that improves battery and performance.

http://blogs.msdn.co...spx?PageIndex=1

check this

http://blogs.msdn.co...ows-update.aspx

Have you tried my ThinkPad E520 with Enhanced Experience 2.0 ? It Sleeps/wakes in LESS than a second :-)

IMHO the only thing that can cause Microsoft a major headacke is Apple. If Apple decided to rewrite OS (whatever) to work on any PC platform (major headache) then Microsoft would be looking at a major problem.

Have you tried my ThinkPad E520 with Enhanced Experience 2.0 ? It Sleeps/wakes in LESS than a second :-)

then 8 will wake up in less than what your laptop claims to wake up... btw, my laptop is 3 year old test laptop.

tell me a OS which completely changes the OS rather than a dress up... OSX do the same... they haven't changed the OS in years..

Ubuntu do dress up a lot.... I don't know if any other OS exist which is popular than Windows,OSX and Linux...

give it a break what do you want... abandon windows and write a new OS? you can see people complaining then..

They are improving window a lot... what do u think Microsoft should do to satisfy you? tell me one good point.

As controlling as Microsoft is with their software, there is NO way I'd but a computer from them.

Why not? Microsoft makes some great hardware. I had a microsoft router that had the best range and performance of its time. It ran windows ce in the firmware . I had neighbors knocking on my door telling me to lower my signal. I Still have it in a closet somewhere.People still use their mice . Look at how well the xbox 360 is doing.

I bet if microsoft made their own pc it would rival apples.

I would like to see this, as it would show just how stable and ProblemLess Windows is, but all the manufactures would moan and groan about anticompetitive.

It would only be considered anticompetitive if MS coded Windows in a way that it would work better on their own computers than those made by other OEMs, which is something MS is too smart to never do. If MS designed better computers that can compete with the quality of Apple and it sells better than other computer brands, then other OEMs can whine all they want because it will just prove how much their current products are horrifically designed in some cases.

Why not? Microsoft makes some great hardware. I had a microsoft router that had the best range and performance of its time. It ran windows ce in the firmware . I had neighbors knocking on my door telling me to lower my signal. I Still have it in a closet somewhere.People still use their mice . Look at how well the xbox 360 is doing.

I concur. In fact, I am using a MS mouse right now and works great despite enduring quite a bit of abuse from gaming.

Why not? Microsoft has added several new features to Windows Virtual PC to make it easy to use and to help you run many older windows XP applications in Windows 7. and Now Microsoft should make its own Windows 8 PC

Microsoft Signature: PCs Without Crapware, Just Like Macs

Microsoft has announced the Signature, a range of PCs which come without any crapware, and ?carefully [tuned] to help achieve maximum performance.?

Mac users: stop me here if this sounds familiar.

According to ?industry experts? (actually, just one expert: Paul Thurrot), 95 percent of users surveyed preferred these slimmed down PCs over those bloated with junk. ?Virtually all participants liked that the trialware was removed and replaced with a clean desktop and easy-to-use Start menu? says the blurb.

So far, so obvious. Of course we hate clutter and love faster computers. But doesn?t it seem like Microsoft is firing its hardware partners up into the air like clay pigeons, and mercilessly gunning them down? Here are a few samples from the promo site. For the ?media lover?:

A PC with Microsoft Signature has less software running in the background, allowing your PC to focus on running smoothly or creating video files. Also, less trialware and sample software means more storage space for important things

For ?the gamer?:

You don?t want your processors busy talking to a trialware offer while you?re trying to keep Sergeant Major alive during an epic firefight, do you?

And for ?the busy mom?:

Your PC with Microsoft Signature means it?s ready to use right out of the box....

+1

I completely agree. Microsoft has always made excellent hardware. ZuneHD is an amazing device, and I love all their keyboards and mice as well.

Also it would be cool seeing laptops/monitors/phones with the windows icon like on Chuck and Smallville... hehe:

fakewinlaptop.jpg

I haven't read a single post in this topic because haters make nauseous, but I just wanted to say that I think this is very true. It's now or never for Microsoft, and they've been gearing up for it for a while. They started with the Xbox, moved on to the Zune, and now they're doing Windows Phones.

Microsoft is capable of making hardware, and has more then enough money to throw at doing it right. People who honestly think Microsoft can't make a good looking product that also functions well have seen too many Mac commercials.

Microsoft clearly deserves a thumbs up for cleaning the crap off its machines, but it comes over a little like a philandering husband who wants his wife to pay him not to cheat anymore.

Retarded statement is retarded. Cleaning crap off of what machines, exactly?

they already tried making computers and failed.

In order for them to become Apple they have to have style and sense to put it altogether to work great. They are just unable to do that the way the company is ran.

Microsoft's internal motto is: "There's no money in hardware".

It's just plain old not going to happen.

And before someone gets in and says keyboards and mice = hardware. Not according to MS.