Microsoft should make its own Windows 8 PCs

I never see this happening. People who buy PC's, tablets, slates, or what ever you want to call them buy them for what they do. A PC works great for gaming, video/photo editing, development, and lots of other uses. Tablets are great for surfing the net and quick tasks. I can never imagine using a touch screen for input for 100% of the time. Imagine writing a long document for a book on a touch screen. Eeee. The mouse and keyboard are great input devices. Yes I know you can use a mouse and keyboard with tablets but then you then you would be using a small screen. It is so funny how so many people are buying less for more. I think a tablet works great for picking it up and using it quickly on the sofa and done. It is light and portable.

PCs are used everywhere for development of software, animation, music, video, science, etc. I do not see it dieing. I do see the numbers falling but will eventually level out. The numbers fare falling because there are lots of people who do not need a PC. A tablet is all they need. One thing to keep in mind is maybe the PC numbers are not falling due to tablets. Maybe they are down due to the economy and maybe because people are skipping buying an updated PC for now to buy a tablet then later will buy a new PC. One thing is for sure. The tablet sales will blow the PC sales out of the water. It only makes sense. Lots of people already own a PC and therefore the growth of new sales is at a slower rate then the tablet. Not everyone owns a table so their is lots of room for sales. Eventually that will slow down too. Plus tablets are cheaper so its easier during a slow economy to buy a tablet verse a PC.

I would love it if Microsoft made their own hardware. Then they could have their own drivers and force better quality control. If Microsoft decided to build there own PC and stop the sales of their software to other hardware manufacturers they could kill them selves. What if the other hardware manufacturers got together and came up with their own OS. What if Apple decided to turn their stance and become open.

The one thing I know is that choice of hardware makes it better for us. There is competition and a drive to make newer and better products. If Microsoft made their own hardware then there is no more competition for processors, motherboards, graphic cards, memory, storage.

There are so many possibilities.

Don't listen to all of the hype. It is marketing working at its best. When there is a market then companies will try to make money in it. If it is making good money then there is an opportunity to make money too. That is what is going on with the tablets. Apple has made a market for tablets and they are making money. Now everyone else wants a piece of the pie.

A year or two ago the game industry said that PC game sales were slumping and dieing. A lot of them announced they were dropping PC game development. Then Star Craft II came out and sales were big. When there are gaps then someone fills the void and when they realized there is sales and money to be made they shut up and kept making games.

They won't make PC's for the same reason they didn't buy HP's PC division: Other PC makers will start to see Microsoft as a competitor.

Also, let's take a look at those companies that have complete control over hardware and software (the OS) - Apple (a marketshare less than the Gateway brand of the Acer Group) and Oracle (a marketshare less than that of even Apple).

Oracle's cash cow is software, but it's not Solaris - it's the Oracle database and services built around it.

Apple's cash cow isn't either OS X or the computers that run it - it's the various iDevices and the services they run (specifically, the various App Stores and iTunes).

Speaking of Apple, let's take a gander at their latest service for their computers and iDevices - iCloud. You'd never believe what the back end of iCloud is running on - here's a hint; Apple makes exactly none of it. (Neither hardware OR software.)

iCloud's back end is hosted on Amazon EC2 and (get this) *Windows Azure*.

In other words, Apple's latest (and growing) cash cow is growing thanks to Microsoft cloud services.

No, it would be pointless. A MS built PC would be no different to any other OEM built PC. They can't optimise Windows to run better on their hardware either because it'll anger OEMs and what else is there? not much. MS aren't stupid and they know tablets in particular are really starting to take off, hense why Win8 is so heavily tablet focused. MS is doing what needs to be done, adapting to the changing market so they can survive.

Also, let's take a look at those companies that have complete control over hardware and software (the OS) - Apple (a marketshare less than the Gateway brand of the Acer Group) and Oracle (a marketshare less than that of even Apple).

Oracle's cash cow is software, but it's not Solaris - it's the Oracle database and services built around it.

Apple's cash cow isn't either OS X or the computers that run it - it's the various iDevices and the services they run (specifically, the various App Stores and iTunes).

Speaking of Apple, let's take a gander at their latest service for their computers and iDevices - iCloud. You'd never believe what the back end of iCloud is running on - here's a hint; Apple makes exactly none of it. (Neither hardware OR software.)

iCloud's back end is hosted on Amazon EC2 and (get this) *Windows Azure*.

In other words, Apple's latest (and growing) cash cow is growing thanks to Microsoft cloud services.

That is only temperary though while Apple build their own servers for it. Apple's long term plan is to have it running entirely in-house. So while right now it's a great little victory (of sorts) or MS (and Amazon) it'll be short lived.

No, it would be pointless. A MS built PC would be no different to any other OEM built PC. They can't optimise Windows to run better on their hardware either because it'll anger OEMs and what else is there? not much.

But they do. Microsoft sells optimized PCs under "Microsoft Signature". They are clean of crap, optimized for gaming, home use,...

"Each PC we sell is configured by Microsoft engineers to operate at each model?s peak performance level. From start-up to shut down or waking the computer from sleep, you'll notice the performance advantage!"..

"Many new PCs come filled with lots of trialware and sample software that slows your computer down?removing all that is a pain, so we do it for you! Every PC the Microsoft Store sells is put on a software diet and performance is tuned to run the best it can. "..

But they do. Microsoft sells optimized PCs under "Microsoft Signature". They are clean of crap, optimized for gaming, home use,...

"Each PC we sell is configured by Microsoft engineers to operate at each model?s peak performance level. From start-up to shut down or waking the computer from sleep, you'll notice the performance advantage!"..

"Many new PCs come filled with lots of trialware and sample software that slows your computer down?removing all that is a pain, so we do it for you! Every PC the Microsoft Store sells is put on a software diet and performance is tuned to run the best it can. "..

Really? never heard of it...but we don't have a Microsoft Store here (that I'm aware of?) so that is probably why!

Make its own PC's. Why ? It runs 95% of computers now. Dell, HP, whoever, whatever, they're just cover boxes for component hardware. Intel processors, Asus motherboards, Kingston memory, Nvidia video cards. All Dell and HP does is stick of bunch of its malware crap on what it sells along with other 3rd party crapware.

Really? never heard of it...but we don't have a Microsoft Store here (that I'm aware of?) so that is probably why!

Best Buy sells 30+, but for $450 I grabbed an Asus K53E with an I5 / 4Gigs ram / 500gb hard drive / 15.6" and just reformatted with a clean copy of Win7 and used the code on the laptop. Download a few drivers and a crapware free $500 laptop... ;) I'll drop another 4 gigs of ram in for about $25 and be good to go until the new Windows 8 laptops start shipping.

My Dell needed replaced and this seemed like the best way to go...

Edit scratch that I thought the "Signature" was the same as the "Premium Collection".... sorry it's late, going to bed now.

Microsoft's internal motto is: "There's no money in hardware".

It's just plain old not going to happen.

And before someone gets in and says keyboards and mice = hardware. Not according to MS.

What about Zunes and Xboxes?

You obviously have NO idea how Microsoft make the majority of their revenue then!

Please use your brain; if Microsoft built their own computers then the cost of the software would be included as part of the overall package - they would be making money regardless of whether it was from a hardware devision in Microsoft or a third party purchasing OEM copies of Windows.

Microsoft clearly deserves a thumbs up for cleaning the crap off its machines, but it comes over a little like a philandering husband who wants his wife to pay him not to cheat anymore.

As for removing crapware and how 'horrible' it is for Microsoft to charge - there is a reason why PC's are cheap and how about that person actually finding out WHY they're cheap; clue to the clueless, the reason why there is crapware is because it subsidises the cost of your computer so that you can get a really cheap computer. I swear some people here are completely oblivious to how the world operates, they some how think the prices magically drop through the power of elves and pixies. Sorry, somewhere along the process something has to give and whether that is lower quality components, lower wages for those assembling the machine, loading up crapware etc. somewhere a cost has to be cut to be then able to reduce the price.

Microsoft is capable of making hardware, and has more then enough money to throw at doing it right. People who honestly think Microsoft can't make a good looking product that also functions well have seen too many Mac commercials.

I think it's a good idea, though not even Apple makes their own computers anymore. China makes them all.