Home theatre audio question

Hello,

I purchased a new television for my room a few days ago, along with a PS3. I already have a basic surround sound unit (home theatre in a box - pre-configured yamaha) which is fairly old (no hdmi in).

The PS3 can output audio in three ways, through the proprietary sony RCA jack, HDMI, or optical digital output.

The surround sound unit is limited in terms of how you can input audio. Either through RCA cables (two cables - red and white) or coaxial cable. (it has a 5 disc dvd changer)

Thus I BELIEVE I have two options:

1. I can purchase a converter box which will input optical digital (from PS3 or tv - tv also has optical out) and output coaxial (to the surround sound unit - while sending HDMI to tv for video)

2. I can use the two RCA cables from PS3 to the surround sound unit

And so my question is this, has anyone tried using one of these converter boxes, if so would your opinion be that the sound quality is BETTER than if I were to just use plain old RCA cables?

Second question, if it is better to use the converter box should I output audio straight from the PS3 to the surround sound unit. OR should I send the audio from the PS3 via hdmi and into the tv first? (then output from tv using optical)

The reason for the second question is this: It is obviously easier in the long run to go from PS3 to tv then tv to surround sound because whatever is playing on the tv will have its audio outputted to the surround sound. The only reason I would consider not doing this is because I may or may not get a cleaner sound just going straight from the PS3 and I will mainly be using the TV with the PS3.

Thanks!

Best way imho is to output the sound directly to your surround sound unit and directly hook up your TV using HDMI. I'm using one of those optical-to-coaxial converters and they work like a charm. My advise? Get a cheap one. Why? They won't alter your sound, it's a direct 1-on-1 bit conversion. So it doesn't matter what type of signal it receives, it just converts it and you're done.

I got one of these: (ext link) http://www.mkcables.com/optical-to-coaxial-converter-p-1301.html

Best way imho is to output the sound directly to your surround sound unit and directly hook up your TV using HDMI. I'm using one of those optical-to-coaxial converters and they work like a charm. My advise? Get a cheap one. Why? They won't alter your sound, it's a direct 1-on-1 bit conversion. So it doesn't matter what type of signal it receives, it just converts it and you're done.

I got one of these: (ext link) http://www.mkcables....ter-p-1301.html

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I just ordered one from monoprice: http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

They look identical haha

Almost all TV's will convert Digital HDMI sound to stereo before outputting to SPDIF. it's stupid but...

Interesting