If Nokia had gone with Android?

213 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Nokia Android Phone?

• Yes, I would buy a Nokia Android Phone
    • No, I would NOT buy a Nokia Android Phone
    • I hate Nokia, I dont care about the OS
    • I love Nokia, I dont care about the OS
    • I like WP7/Nokia.

I would buy a Nokia Android phone...

I like your galsses

People want devices that work, that provides them features, usability counts.

Android isn't laggy as most people think. Surely ICS is a bit but that'll be fixed in future updates.

That's never gonna happen, WP is in no way superior to Android

Yes there is indeed a need, gaming needs powerful hardware especially modern GPUs

That precisely why Rockstar didn't release GTA3 for WP as according to them; "the current WP7 hardware lacks power"

Android being power hungry? Sure old versions but that isn't really an issue nowadays since most devices feature a high capacity battery.

Ok this is getting a bit off-topic.

My point was that NOKIA made the right decision, because Windows Phone is more efficient and user-friendly and all than Android.

Your point was that NOKIA should've gone with Android.

Lets see the votes.

Windows Phone 996

Android 37

:laugh: :p

No. They would have gotten lost in Android's mess, and succumed to being "just another phone" in an ever increasing market.

+1. Not to mention that they're hardly doing badly. All reports indicate that they're making decent sales. And that's only going to improve with time with Tango and Apollo on the horizon and new hardware and everything... I think they made the right choice.

• Like 2

I had a Nokia N95, Nokia N86, and even wanted the N97 mini but never got it. My point is they make great hardware, just the software couldn't keep up after a while. If Nokia had switched to Android (i was actually hoping) i'd probably have one now instead of this Samsung SGS2. :yes:

Maybe someone's answered this, so I'm sorry if I'm asking again, but why can't Nokia go with both Windows and Android? They've got a deal with Microsoft for Windows. Anyone can use Android. Why put all their eggs in one basket?

Technically they could have went with both, but in that case I doubt Microsoft would have given Nokia >$1 billion for marketing as well as some kind of deeper access to the OS that other non-exclusive OEMs don't have.

And people now associate Android as exponential growing platform.

Only technically minded people like the ones you encounter on forums such as this, to most of the general public, Android is sold as "Like the iPhone, but cheaper"

Only technically minded people like the ones you encounter on forums such as this, to most of the general public, Android is sold as "Like the iPhone, but cheaper"

Do you think that Nokia would have had better sales with Android?

Would you buy an Android Nokia phone? or would you rather stick with WP7/Nokia?

Absolutely.. first of all they would have already had the phone out with all the features of Android. Second I would love to their hardware with Android. With Windows Phone 7, I am still interested but I'm really not rushing at all. If they have had Android Nokia phone I would have bought it already.

I completely disagree.. Android is sold to the public as more flexible, more customizable, diverse smartphone with bigger screen and many example superior phone. I have not heard anyone call Android cheaper, specifically because it coasts the same amount of money to get it on the contract and off. Iphone is being sold as a fashion accessory.

Look, obviously I'm not a big fan of Android, but I don't want it to go away. I also want WP7 to succeed so there is a minimum of 3 viable mobile OS to choose from. It's good for competition and I think WP7 does offer a good alternative to iOS and Android with a good feature set. There's clearly room for all three to exist in the market.

Yes, there are some places WP7 is lacking but in other ways it really shines. If you don't like it, that's fine, and that's why it's good that there is also Android and iOS to choose from. Most of the people knocking WP7 are the ones who haven't even tried it/judge it from screenshots.

• Like 3

I completely disagree.. Android is sold to the public as more flexible, more customizable, diverse smartphone with bigger screen and many example superior phone. I have not heard anyone call Android cheaper, specifically because it coasts the same amount of money to get it on the contract and off. Iphone is being sold as a fashion accessory.

lol, the lady at the AT&T store basically summed up the phones like this, and in this order..

iPhone, it has Siri and the most apps

Android, you can customize the way it looks

WP7, it's a "Microsoft phone"

I might have been her first WP7 buyer because she got scared when she saw my Xbox Live avatar pop up on the screen.

People now recognize Nokia brand as dying brand.

There is a message here somewhere too, :|

Nokia's share price rose 5% yesterday based on analyst predictions of increased sales so I guess there are at least a few people who don't consider it a dying brand.

Well, its a non vote from me as it would depend on the phone it was offered on. Nokia were always a good phone but apparently they suck at smartphones

No. They would have gotten lost in Android's mess, and succumed to being "just another phone" in an ever increasing market.

As opposed to being "just another WP7 phone"? There's far more room for differentiation in Android. For one, Google doesn't dictate specs and chips that must be used. That's why every single WP7 phone has virtually identical specs. Secondly, manufacturers can't modify the UX for WP, so there's really little anyone can do to differentiate.

Regarding the original question posed, I think Android would have probably saved Nokia. But it's too late now, they have all their eggs in a single basket, one which has thus far failed as a platform. It's only a matter of time before Nokia either declares bankruptsy or is aquired by another company. Either way, Elop will be looking for a new target to destroy lol.

Secondly, manufacturers can't modify the UX for WP, so there's really little anyone can do to differentiate.

You mean that differentiation which slows down, and in some cases, completely prevents OEM's pushing OS updates? That differentiation which means moving from one brand of a phone to another means completely re-learning the UI instead of being familiar, which assists in further vendor lock-in? Yeah, gotta love that differentiation they've got going there.

Nokia had explored the possibility of Android. According to Nokia, Google refused to give Nokia anything extra. So I assume Nokia wanted to have more control over the OS and the services, like Nokia/Ovi maps and a bunch of other stuff.

Going with Android might have generated some sales in the beginning but after a while, Nokia would have blended in with the rest of Android makers and there wouldn't be much difference. Besides, Nokia wouldn't be able to compete with the other established Android makers, brand-wise.

With Microsoft they get a young OS and they have received a lot of privileges. They are working together with Microsoft on building the future Windows Phone versions.

This means that Nokia and Microsoft help each other by improving the platform.

Also, it's good to have all the mobile OSs on a more or less equal marketshare. That way the competition becomes much more fierce without any room for regressions.

You mean that differentiation which slows down, and in some cases, completely prevents OEM's pushing OS updates?

WP has had problems providing updates while still in the first generation. The more generations and different devices you have, the more complex the task of updating.

That differentiation which means moving from one brand of a phone to another means completely re-learning the UI instead of being familiar, which assists in further vendor lock-in? Yeah, gotta love that differentiation they've got going there.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to operate a phone. Your excuses for WP's lack of diversity are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Users like choice. Something you don't get with WP7. You get outdated hardware with the same dull tetris experience everywhere.

WP has had problems providing updates while still in the first generation. The more generations and different devices you have, the more complex the task of updating.

Quoting history instead of current issues isn't a valid comeback, sorry.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to operate a phone. Your excuses for WP's lack of diversity are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Is that why Linux with all its diverse UI's is so popular?

Users like choice. Something you don't get with WP7. You can outdated hardware with the same dull tetris experience everywhere.

No... users like what works, they like something that is familiar to them, they like not having to re-learn a UI. Sit a user in front of Linux and watch them cry about how everything is different.

Users couldn't give a flying monkey about hardware specs, they like what looks cool, and what feels cool to use. You're deluding yourself with your own opinion instead of thinking about the most common opinions.

I assume where you live everyone drives the same (best) car because it has the best "specs" right? No? Well, maybe everyone uses the same (best) laptop because it has the best specs, right?

• Like 3

Nokia had explored the possibility of Android. According to Nokia, Google refused to give Nokia anything extra.

So Nokia wanted special treatment. That's how you upset all the rest of your partners. Google made the right choice. Why should one manufacturer get extras, especially one that's in decline like Nokia.

So I assume Nokia wanted to have more control over the OS and the services, like Nokia/Ovi maps and a bunch of other stuff.

In the end, Nokla didn't really get anything extra from Microsoft (except pecunary incentives) that other OEM's didn't get as well.

Going with Android might have generated some sales in the beginning but after a while, Nokia would have blended in with the rest of Android makers and there wouldn't be much difference. Besides, Nokia wouldn't be able to compete with the other established Android makers, brand-wise.

So Nokia went for an ailing platform that never really took off in the first place. Wow! what a great strategy lol. Is this the new 101 on how to destroy a billion dollar company?

With Microsoft they get a young OS and they have received a lot of privileges. They are working together with Microsoft on building the future Windows Phone versions.

What privileges? They get to include their own maps app. Gee whiz, what great customisability.

Working together? Don't make me laugh. You really buy that PR nonsense? Next you'll be telling me that Android manufacturers are benefiting from Microsoft's patent extortion racket like Microsoft's PR statements claim.

This means that Nokia and Microsoft help each other by improving the platform.

There's only two reasons Nokia is making WP7 phones - Money, and Elop. The money I can understand, but Nokia's board must be nuts to listen to Elop.

Also, it's good to have all the mobile OSs on a more or less equal marketshare. That way the competition becomes much more fierce without any room for regressions.

Competition is good, closed platforms are not. I'd like to see more FOSS/Linux based platforms like Meego make more of a dent, not another iOS-like walled garden.

I definitely would've boughten a Nokia Android phone. I love Nokia's phone designs, and the camera lenses they use on their phones. I think if Google and Nokia did some kind of partnership where Nokia would produce the flagship Nexus phones, it would've been a hit.

As opposed to being "just another WP7 phone"? There's far more room for differentiation in Android. For one, Google doesn't dictate specs and chips that must be used. That's why every single WP7 phone has virtually identical specs. Secondly, manufacturers can't modify the UX for WP, so there's really little anyone can do to differentiate.

With Windows Phone, you don't differentiate with UX changes. You differentiate your product from the rest in the market with phone design something that HTC, in particular, has forgotten. Look at Nokia's Lumia. It was designed, from concept to market, to work in tandem with WP7. It's built for Windows Phone. It's not just another phone case slapped with whatever version of Android is out at release time.

With Windows Phone, you don't differentiate with UX changes. You differentiate your product from the rest in the market with phone design something that HTC, in particular, has forgotten. Look at Nokia's Lumia. It was designed, from concept to market, to work in tandem with WP7. It's built for Windows Phone. It's not just another phone case slapped with whatever version of Android is out at release time.

This.