If Nokia had gone with Android?

213 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Nokia Android Phone?

• Yes, I would buy a Nokia Android Phone
    • No, I would NOT buy a Nokia Android Phone
    • I hate Nokia, I dont care about the OS
    • I love Nokia, I dont care about the OS
    • I like WP7/Nokia.

Look at Nokia's Lumia. It was designed, from concept to market, to work in tandem with WP7. It's built for Windows Phone.

Actually it wasn't. The Lumia is just the N9's uglier cousin in terms of hardware design. The N9 doesn't have those ugly buttons on front though. Not to mention a much nicer OS.

Actually it wasn't. The Lumia is just the N9's uglier cousin in terms of hardware design. The N9 doesn't have those ugly buttons on front though. Not to mention a much nicer OS.

You might want to research that. Nokia put out a video describing the development of the Lumia and it was designed specifically for Windows Phone.

• Like 2

Agree with a post from above - they made the right choice. Since the iPhone, Nokia needed something a bit more enticing than a copy of the iPhone OS. At least with P7 they get something that is different but I guess we'll need to see if it's going to pull in the crowds.

Seriously?? 5% rise yesterday compensate years of share price falling???

http://www.google.co...YSE%3ANOK&hl=en

after mid 2007 all it has done is drop..

The rise indicates that investors think that Nokia is anything but dead and that they will do well in the future. It's an acknowledgement that Nokia will do well with their new strategy which is, after all, what we're talking about.

Apparently the only people who think Nokia is dead are the people who have an axe to grind or a point to try and prove ;)

• Like 2

The rise indicates that investors think that Nokia is anything but dead and that they will do well in the future. It's an acknowledgement that Nokia will do well with their new strategy which is, after all, what we're talking about.

Apparently the only people who think Nokia is dead are the people who have an axe to grind or a point to try and prove ;)

oh wait.... i didnt say its dead... i said its a dying brand..... there is a difference...

if the sales and profit is declining its called dying brand and if the sales and profit increases its calling growing brand...

seems like someone is trying to prove something here.

People don't realize that its really only samsung that is making any money from Android. HTC and Motorala are just barely making any money and the rest have not faired very well.

What the hell are you talking about? HTC have made a profit of $62 billion this year, 57% more than they did in 2010, and this has been a common trend since they adopted Android.

With Windows Phone, you don't differentiate with UX changes. You differentiate your product from the rest in the market with phone design something that HTC, in particular, has forgotten. Look at Nokia's Lumia. It was designed, from concept to market, to work in tandem with WP7. It's built for Windows Phone. It's not just another phone case slapped with whatever version of Android is out at release time.

So, aside from the case design, how do Windows Phone phones actually differ? There is a much greater diversity of Android devices than Windows Phone devices. If anything, it is WP7 phones that are just a case slapped around whichever version of Windows Phone is out, given the strict design requirement from Microsoft. As for calling out HTC for their poor design variance, I'll agree that their designs aren't the best, I've got a brown HTC Desire, and it looks pretty awful, but this is true of their WP7 range as much as it is their Android range, so you can't really call that a win for WP7.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure Nokia and Android would be a very, very bad match. WIth Android being the fragmented mess it is for an innovative company like Nokia it woudl be a constant case of patching and fixing or worse tuning down their idea to be able to realse wit what drivers they can come up with in time. It would most llikely have been better to stay with Symbian an Meego if they had not gone with WP7 wich is a way better match for them..

MeeGo was (and in fact is) a very promissing alternative to any of the other three players right now. But it would probably cost way too much to truly make it the best it can be. Seeing how people are starting to customize and find 'hidden' possibilities it's sad on one hand MeeGo had to go in favour of WP7.

MeeGo in fact (and IMO) combines many of te best features of all three others into one slick phone OS

• Like 1

What the hell are you talking about? HTC have made a profit of $62 billion this year, 57% more than they did in 2010, and this has been a common trend since they adopted Android.

Is that in $TWD? HTC isn't making anywhere near that much profit in $USD - especially not this year already (I'm guessing you meant 2011 :p). That being said, HTC's profits have been steadily increasing every quarter since adopting Android up until their speed bump last quarter.

I agree; they're doing fine.

• Like 1

Is that in $TWD? HTC isn't making anywhere near that much profit in $USD - especially not this year already (I'm guessing you meant 2011 :p). That being said, HTC's profits have been steadily increasing every quarter since adopting Android up until their speed bump last quarter.

Yeah I meant Taiwanese dollars, and yeah, I meant 2012 (it takes a while for new year mode to engage :p). The source article in case anyone else is interested is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-16437806 . Ironically, it's a discussion about their quarterly profits dropping 25% because Samsung have eaten them alive this quarter :(.

As you said though, they're fine. The smartphone market is highly volatile, and company profits are expected to fluctuate with the amount of competition. As long as they're not making a loss though, they're fine.

I agree; they're doing fine.

It is compared to Samsung and Apple which dwarf it in the money they make. HTC did hit speed bump. And Motorola agreed to sell to Google. Obviously if Motorola if it thought it could make more money going it alone it would have.

It is compared to Samsung and Apple which dwarf it in the money they make. HTC did hit speed bump. And Motorola agreed to sell to Google. Obviously if Motorola if it thought it could make more money going it alone it would have.

It's a difficult comparison to make really, since Samsung make... well everything, and Apple make a variety of products beyond the iPhone. HTC however only make smartphones. Samsung and Apple too are more "household brands", which makes it easier for them to grab market share. I still think that HTC hold their own though in a market dominated by much bigger players.

Motorola I think have been hindered for many years by the unpredictable quality of their products. Some of the things they've made in the past have tarnished the brand. (My Dad's motorola phone at the start of the 2000's only allowed 3 letters for a contact's name in his phonebook, when every other phone allowed about 10, which, at the time was quite good (phone contacts used to be stored on the SIM card), so my whole family has been sworn off Motorola products for the mostpart). At the same time though some of their products (particularly more recent ones like the Droid and the Xoom) have been high quality stuff, but in comparison to the major players like Samsung and Apple, they're small fry, and I think you're right in that they were struggling to an extent. It wasn't because of Android though, at least not directly.

Android is a joke

Yes it is. The Google execs are laughing on how fast it become the number 1 selling smartphone. Something Apple could never achieve in the U.S. or world-wide. #1 Joke. /s

Maybe someone's answered this, so I'm sorry if I'm asking again, but why can't Nokia go with both Windows and Android? They've got a deal with Microsoft for Windows. Anyone can use Android. Why put all their eggs in one basket?

I'm not completely sure, but I think Nokia really wants to define itself. If it just goes around making phones that run on WP7 and Android, it might as well add WebOS and Bell, and then end up bring back Symbian while they're at it. Or maybe they'll use MeeGo. The point is, it would make Nokia look like just another generic brand that makes all kinds of phones. I don't think that's something Nokia wants; they want to regain their status as "THE smartphone company with the sexiest hardware and best software," which is something they just can't do when they have part of the company working on Android software, another WP7 software, then the next WP7 hardware, and so on. It's just to fragmented.

Yes it is. The Google execs are laughing on how fast it become the number 1 selling smartphone. Something Apple could never achieve in the U.S. or world-wide. #1 Joke. /s

Thing is, Android isn't the number 1 selling smartphone. It is becoming the number one smartphone OS though. There is a huge difference. Also, is there really any surprise with this? When every manufacturer under the sun is selling an Android OS phone, of course it'll become number one. This is the same thing Microsoft did in the past to get the lion's share of the PC market.

When you add up all the sales of every model phone running some form of Android OS and compare the numbers against the handful of phones running Windows Phone or Apple's iOS, there shouldn't be any doubt who would come on top. This is the main reason Nokia, in my opinion, was correct in choosing to go with Windows Phone over Android. It's a hell of lot easier to make a huge splash in a kiddie pool (Windows Phone market) when compared to the Olympic-sized swimming pool that is the Android market.

• Like 1

I'm not defending the guy that said android is a joke, but Google is so eager to get to number one spot that they would do anything to get there. In doing so they are not getting any revenue from android because they license it for free. And so they doesn't care about the quality of their software and let OEMs and providers do anything they want. Android in that sense is a POS for a lack of better term. Mean while apple every cent and more on their products. Apple has since become the largest company in the world. Google and OEMs on the other are being sued left and right from everyone. It gets even more hysterical that Microsoft is making more money on android than google itself. In 2012, Microsoft, Nokia, and att will aggressively price their windows phone handsets and spend 200 millions on marketing. It's generally agreeable that windows phone is a much more user friendly and consistent experience. Now adding those two factors pricing and usability, google will have to up their game in 2012 or will be challenged in their market share.

• Like 1

I was reffering to the comment he made.

I might consider getting an Android Nokia phone, although I prefer the Nexus ones (ie. vanilla Android). If they released a Nexus-like one it'd definitely be in my "want one of those" list.

I'd be more interested in a Meego Nokia phone, though.

You might want to research that. Nokia put out a video describing the development of the Lumia and it was designed specifically for Windows Phone.

It's still a N9 with cheaper hardware and three buttons uglyfying the front design.

One phone

N9

Unfortunately not being sold in my country, which means two things:

-Going through hoops to buy it abroad.

-Most likely no language localization.

That without even getting in the price issue :/

Likely I would have gotten a Nokia Android device if there was such.

Nokia has good QA so the devices that hit the market are well built which is always nice.

That being said, I do think that Nokia made the right move strategicly going with WP7. At least in short run.

Their design cycle and QA takes too long at the moment so that their devices take too long to hit market. By the time they do the hardware is no longer the best. This is an Android's niche - first to market with best hardware possible.

I'm not defending the guy that said android is a joke, but Google is so eager to get to number one spot that they would do anything to get there.

Google doesn't care about making phones. They created an open and free mobile OS where they offer their services with as the best experience and have already achieved their goal, now it's just improving on the OS and brings integration about all different devices from refrigerators, TVs, tablets to phones and many other things. It is the future we all wanted. Being able to have devices communicate with each other with one unified open source operating system and if we are judging by CES we will have that this year with ICS being the ultimate mobile OS. Stuff being showcased on CES running Ice Cream Sandwich is just simply amazing.

The only reason Google has their own "official" phone is to set a standard of clean experience others can follow if they want. Google Nexus is the first phone of the next generation and the others are taking it as a base phone which upon they improve so they bring out quad core phones, more memory, HD screens etc etc. In fact, with this approach Google is driving the innovation forward by setting a very high lowest common denominator.

Google doesn't care about making phones.

Thats the reason it is so badly optimized.

NOKIA has a history of delivering great devices with older hardware, which would've been impossible if they'd gone with Android