BSOD Issues with Star Wars The Old Republic

Hi... found this site while doing research online, and was hoping someone could help me. I got SWTOR, and can play for about 5-10 minutes, and then I get a BSOD. I thought maybe my video driver was out of date, so I updated it, no effect. Doesn't appear to be a Video issue, game runs great on high settings, and looks awesome. Really would like to avoid a reinstall if possible, but if I need to, I will.

Running BlueScreenView says that the error was caused by hal.dll and caused by address is hal.dll+12903

I can access my dmp files, but have no idea what I'm looking at.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Specs:

3.0Ghz Athlon X2 64-bit

4GB ram

EVGA GTS 250

Windows 7 64-bit home premium

Are you overclocking ?

( asking because finding the a search result regarding a overlocking )

* edit - There should be more info other then HALL32, as that's usually a hardware issue )

No, no overclocking. Thought maybe a heat issue, but nothing feels hot per se, it does get warmer in the case, but the thermal display on my machine reads about 28-30 C.

Is it software or hardware monitor, search result regarding same thing is showing recommended to remove the monitor software, there was no follow up regarding if it worked or not ( usually means it did and didn't care enough to reply that it did )

hardware based... Zalman fan controller with thermal wires... I have one by the CPU, one by the graphics card, one by the HDDs, and one by an exhaust fan. 3 120mm fans running around 900-1200 rpm. 2 exhausts (top and back of case) and on intake in the front. Desktop also sits up on a block of wood to give clearance for the intake to get as much air as possible.

hardware based... Zalman fan controller with thermal wires... I have one by the CPU, one by the graphics card, one by the HDDs, and one by an exhaust fan. 3 120mm fans running around 900-1200 rpm. 2 exhausts (top and back of case) and on intake in the front. Desktop also sits up on a block of wood to give clearance for the intake to get as much air as possible.

Hardware controller should be fine. What is the full BSOD.

Alternatively. Could try running MemTest86 or something ( and test all ranges, not just default), could be faulty upper memory bank ( assuming from " caused by address hall.dll+12903 " )

BSOD full message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage

to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: hal.dll

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,

restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow

these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.

If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer

for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware

or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart

your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then

select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8004f55038, 0x00000000b6204000,

0x0000000000000175)

*** hal.dll - Address 0xfffff8000361b903 base at 0xfffff80003609000 DateStamp

0x4a5bdf08

Working on running memtest86 now.

For 0x0124 there could be multiple causes,, PSU, memory, Drivers, and BIOS. are a couple

First and easier to test is Memory, using Memtest86, or Win7s built in mem tester ( F8 after BIOS splash< Repair my computer< memory diagnostic tool ( its also downloadable from Microsoft )

Then drivers ( check manufacture of stuff ( including chipset, mobo, vid, bla, bla )

Then if still, try BIOS update from Mobo's manufacturer ( DO CAREFULLY AND READ EVERYTHING )

The more difficult would be the PSU, as not everybody has a spare working PSU lying around. With your vid/CPU I would not recommend anything smaller then 500w, if you got some Pre-built from HP or DELL they prolly put a low end 250/350w PSU.

Machine is a custom rig I built, but my in depth hardware skills are lacking.

MemTest86 came back clean after 1 pass, no errors found

Drivers I know are up to date, that was the first thing I tried after the first BSOD

PSU, already running a 600W OCZ PSU

BIOS I wasn't too crazy about doing, but I guess I can try.

Well, BIOS could be an issue... I can't even find my model board on ASUS website... M4A78+... they list all kinds of other models with M4A78, but none of them are looking like mine.

One other thought I had, didn't think to relate this to my gaming issue. When I first boot my machine, it tends to hang on the ASUS splash screen that comes up prior\during POST. If I hold the reset button on my machine for 1-2 seconds, and let go, it'll then boot up just fine. Could SWTOR be crashing due to a larger issue with my machine? Machine seems to work fine otherwise, I use it a lot for Media Center for watching movies and live TV.

One other thought I had, didn't think to relate this to my gaming issue. When I first boot my machine, it tends to hang on the ASUS splash screen that comes up prior\during POST. If I hold the reset button on my machine for 1-2 seconds, and let go, it'll then boot up just fine. Could SWTOR be crashing due to a larger issue with my machine? Machine seems to work fine otherwise, I use it a lot for Media Center for watching movies and live TV.

SWTOR crashing due to underlying problem is what im thinking, as a game would put more stress then a video would do.

im interested in the hanging during post. if you hit escape it should get rid if the spash screen and show what its trying to detect. or in bios there should be an option to hide the spash, ill post a pic of example

*Edit yea screw it, phone camera sux, see your post below so wont bother, lol

Thanks. I know where that option is... I'll check it out. I feel kind of dumb for not thinking to look at that.

yea i never have a BIOS spash screen show for that reason, if thers a boot problem ill never know what it is

Well, BIOS could be an issue... I can't even find my model board on ASUS website... M4A78+... they list all kinds of other models with M4A78, but none of them are looking like mine.

you might want to try opening system information and look at the system model. that should give you an exact model to search for your mobo on asus.com

also i'm pretty sure that they have a program called asusupdate that will check for mobo firmware updates for you in windows.

SWTOR crashing due to underlying problem is what im thinking, as a game would put more stress then a video would do.

im interested in the hanging during post. if you hit escape it should get rid if the spash screen and show what its trying to detect. or in bios there should be an option to hide the spash,

Figures, I set to display the post, and now the stupid thing boots without issues... lol. Usually it'll hang if I let it sit for awhile, so I'll shut it down overnight and see what happens in the morning.

you might want to try opening system information and look at the system model. that should give you an exact model to search for your mobo on asus.com

also i'm pretty sure that they have a program called asusupdate that will check for mobo firmware updates for you in windows.

I know what my model number is... the problem is the motherboard is over 2 years old. They either discontinued it, or renamed it to a new model number type, but none of the new models look similiar.

I know what my model number is... the problem is the motherboard is over 2 years old. They either discontinued it, or renamed it to a new model number type, but none of the new models look similiar.

Scratch that... the update tool found it... and sure enough, looks like there was an update 2101 that the summary says "Fix the issue that system may hang during POST when using certain graphic card." and then 2301 "Improve system stability."

Guess I'll try an update.

• Like 1

Scratch that... the update tool found it... and sure enough, looks like there was an update 2101 that the summary says "Fix the issue that system may hang during POST when using certain graphic card." and then 2301 "Improve system stability."

Guess I'll try an update.

Good luck

you might want to try opening system information and look at the system model. that should give you an exact model to search for your mobo on asus.com also i'm pretty sure that they have a program called asusupdate that will check for mobo firmware updates for you in windows.

I've had that message pop up occaisionally (different game), the issue turned out to be the power supply being overstressed, and consequently undersupplying the single 12V rail.

System specs - ASUS P5G41M-LX2/GB (sounds rather strange, I know)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

3 GB DDR2-800

Visiontek HD5450 512 MB GDDR3

7 x64 with SP1

Problematical PSU is the Eagle VOLTAS 600

Basically, the PSU, while solid enough for a lower-end dual-core (previous CPU was a Celeron DC E3400), the quad-core, though stock, causes things to get weird when stressed.

For that reason, especially since I'm looking to replace both motherboard and CPU with newer components (i5-2500K for the CPU and ASUS P8Z68-V LX for the mobo), I have to replace the PSU (looking at one of two ANTEC models from the High Current Gamer line - either the HX-520 or HX-620, which are priced $5 apart at MicroCenter).

either the HX-520 or HX-620, which are priced $5 apart at MicroCenter).

go for more power if possible, allows for more headroom for future stuff, especially when there is only a $5 difference. unless the 520 has more Sata and PCI-E 6(+2) connectors

So... I fired up this morning and checked post. It appears to hang when checking for a disk on the eSATA port, which would be an external WD MyBook that I have. My best theory is the drive isn't waking up fast enough, and when I reset the machine again, it has woken up and can be found. (If you think I'm wrong, no worries, like I said, it was a guess).

I updated to the new BIOS, which I was badly out of date, current one was 0602, and the new one is 2301. One thing I did notice during the POST now is I get a CPU Fan Error, but I opened my case and the fan is powering on. I have it plugged into my Zalman fan control, should I maybe switch it to my motherboard instead?

Haven't tested SWTOR yet, need to run out for a while.

On a slightly different note, I was thinking about getting a new CPU and mobo possibly. Any recommendations? Quad-Core would be nice, but I also need something budget friendly (200, maybe 300 at the most). Already have the GTS 250, and a OCZ ModXStream 600W. Also have 4GBs of OCZ Platinum 1066 DDR2 dual channel. Would like to re-use as much of my existing hardware as possible. SWTOR will probably be the most intensive thing I run, I don't play a lot of PC games.

One thing I did notice during the POST now is I get a CPU Fan Error, but I opened my case and the fan is powering on. I have it plugged into my Zalman fan control, should I maybe switch it to my motherboard instead?

There might be an option regarding ignoring fan speed.

And that's sounds about right for the External.

Thanks for all your help. I updated my bios without issues, and I switched my CPU fan to my motherboard. I discovered that it could control fan speed based on temp.

Happy to say I am now 30+ minutes into playing SWTOR (which is awesome so far). Guessing the bios was the main issue, dunno if switching the fan had anything to do with it, but at least I can boot without fan errors during post

So... I fired up this morning and checked post. It appears to hang when checking for a disk on the eSATA port, which would be an external WD MyBook that I have. My best theory is the drive isn't waking up fast enough, and when I reset the machine again, it has woken up and can be found. (If you think I'm wrong, no worries, like I said, it was a guess).

I updated to the new BIOS, which I was badly out of date, current one was 0602, and the new one is 2301. One thing I did notice during the POST now is I get a CPU Fan Error, but I opened my case and the fan is powering on. I have it plugged into my Zalman fan control, should I maybe switch it to my motherboard instead?

Haven't tested SWTOR yet, need to run out for a while.

On a slightly different note, I was thinking about getting a new CPU and mobo possibly. Any recommendations? Quad-Core would be nice, but I also need something budget friendly (200, maybe 300 at the most). Already have the GTS 250, and a OCZ ModXStream 600W. Also have 4GBs of OCZ Platinum 1066 DDR2 dual channel. Would like to re-use as much of my existing hardware as possible. SWTOR will probably be the most intensive thing I run, I don't play a lot of PC games.

tbh mate, with a 250gts (basically a 9800gtx), id say keep the q66 and replace that (the 250gts) over your cpu/ram/mobo, youd see more performance increase in games with a newer card for the money for what a new cpu, mobo and ram would cost you. (560ti or similar) its a true quad core and while it may be lower FSB and clock speeds to a n i5, its still a physical quad core, the i5 is a dual core with HT enabled. upgradign your gfx card to a 5 series (or amd equiv) would give you mor ebang per buck, leaving the option of a core i series later when games struggle once more.

I went from a q6600 to a n i7 2600k and i saw a frame rate increase by approx 15fps (at best) in games, retaining my 570gtx. combine a 570 or 560ti with your exisiting gear would make SWTOR fly m8. My q66 and 570gtx would manage anything i threw at it with x16 AA even batlefield 3 at ultra textures/high all the rest settings @45fps@1680x1050. the i7 upgrade lets me do it @55-60fps at the same settings.

also with the Asus machines if your mybook is USB, disable controllers that you dont use (e-sata isnt what the My book normally uses and the e-sata port on the backplate could probably be disabled in bios.) e-sata ports on Asus mobos share resources/IRQs with other devices