PS3 to TV and Sound system all via HDMI?

The hardware I have is an HDTV, a ps3 and a home cinema 5.1 sound system.

The sound system has no optical input/output so I cannot connect the ps3 to it like that.

How can I get the sound system to output 5.1 sound via HDMI but also be hooked up to the TV? HDMI splitter cable?

I tried googling this but there is no straight answer out there.

Worst case you need to buy a decent new sound system, but without knowing more about what tv and what sound system we can't really help you :)

i have my ps3 hooked to my tv via hdmi for video, and for sound just the regular rca red and white cables to my older dvd surround system, and with it in surround mode i get complete surround true 5.1 style

aka u dont need the hdmi for sound lol, sorry

i have my ps3 hooked to my tv via hdmi for video, and for sound just the regular rca red and white cables to my older dvd surround system, and with it in surround mode i get complete surround true 5.1 style

aka u dont need the hdmi for sound lol, sorry

Sorry, but you are NOT getting full 5.1 surround over the red and white RCA cables. does not happen. not possible. you're getting stereo, your receive may be converting into virtual 5.1, but not the 5.1 your PS3 creates.

We have a surround sound 5.1 as well with a LCD TV and a PS3.

We have a AV Amplifier with I think around 4 HDMI Ports. You plug everything into that, so my PS3, DVD Player goes into that. The surround system is connected through the normal speak cabling wire. And then there is a single HDMI which goes from the amplifier to the TV.

:D

• Like 1

Sorry, but you are NOT getting full 5.1 surround over the red and white RCA cables. does not happen. not possible. you're getting stereo, your receive may be converting into virtual 5.1, but not the 5.1 your PS3 creates.

well thats some baddass virtual 5.1 because its def 5.1, single channel in every speaker lol. even works the same for my cable. and i do mean from rear left to right bs, independent left or right effects and all else, you get the point lol. so props!!! to what ever "virtual" deal lol

No. You do not get TRUE 5.1 over a stereo connection.

For my setup, if I wanted surround sound then I would connect the PS3 to the TV via HDMI, and then I would connect the surround sound system to the TV. From there, it would just be a matter of setting the TV to output to the external sound system as opposed to the TV speakers. (EDIT: And apparently my TV can do that, although I don't have the sound system to test it)

I'm not sure if that would be true surround sound (I don't know enough about sound systems), but that's how I would do it. Of course, you would need a TV with the capability to output the sound elsewhere, as well as a surround sound system that would connect to the TV in that way.

As HawkMan said, we would need to know more about your TV and sound system.

I think your receiver needs an hdmi out. I have my whole setup done over hdmi, but my receiver has 3xhdmi in and 1xhdmi out.

I've got an HDMI AV receiver. My 5.1 speakers connect to that for sound output and TV for video output. All other devices interface directly into it to send their sound/picture. You should be able to pick one up relatively cheaply these days.

You only get pseudo-surround via matrix decoder. You need a separate cable per speaker to get true 5.1

really wish yal could come to my house and hear what isnt possible lol

Its definately not possible, red and white RCA only carries left and right channel stereo audio, your receiver probably does stereo fill so the left channel goes to both front and back, same for right.

How do you currently have your TV hooked up to your receiver (optical, hdmi)? The only way for this to work would be if your TV has some sort of 5.1 pass through for sound where you could then output that via HDMI (ARC) or optical to the receiver (assuming it's hooked up via one of those currently).

Its definately not possible, red and white RCA only carries left and right channel stereo audio, your receiver probably does stereo fill so the left channel goes to both front and back, same for right.

It might be Pro Logic II or DTS neo, which will give 5.1 but it's not as good as the real thing

no thats what i was trying to explain, it snot just "fill" i get actual independent channels, like if the noise is coming from front to back on the right side and then it moves to the left, i hear it moving independently. no fill, independent sound in each channel no fill.

So it's not possible to have a splitter?

and put the hdmi into the ps3 then the hdmi to a splitter between the TV and sound system?

It isn't for me, it's for a friend, he got a sound system for Christmas as a gift but it has no optical in/out. only 1 hdmi port

well thats some baddass virtual 5.1 because its def 5.1, single channel in every speaker lol. even works the same for my cable. and i do mean from rear left to right bs, independent left or right effects and all else, you get the point lol. so props!!! to what ever "virtual" deal lol

No at best you are getting Dobly Pro Logic but no were near true 5.1. It is defantly not 5.1

So I think the big question here is are you sure there are no other inputs for audio on the receiver itself?

Like is there not a coaxial input either?

It looks like this, it is the one on the left side...

spdif_toslink.jpg

If there is a coaxial, there would be some ways to do it I believe.

If memory serves me there is a coaxial, But I don't understand why I can't just get an HDMI splitter and split the signal so the ps3 acknowledges both sound system and TV via 1 cable.

My friend is going to flip if it doesn't work because he can't return the sound system and he's spent the last few days stressing out putting the speakers up on his walls etc.

Okay, good there is coaxial. Before I say how it can possibly be done I need to know 2 things...

Is the "TV" part of the equation through a cable box or something similar?

Also, how many HDMI inputs are on the TV? 2 I am hoping?

Okay, good there is coaxial. Before I say how it can be done I need to know 2 things...

Is the "TV" part of the equation through a cable box or something similar?

Also, how many HDMI inputs are on the TV? 2 I am hoping?

Well basically all that's needed is the ps3 to have 5.1, not interested in the cable box (although he does have one)

The TV has 3 hdmi ports on it, the sound system has one.

So nobody has a solution for an all hdmi 5.1 sound setup with a PS3 and HDTV and a 5.1 home theatre system all via HDMI?

As Pow stated earlier. plug the PS3 into the Home theater receiver, and the cable box if you have one, and then run an HDMI cable fro the home theater receiver output into the TV. You would select the PS3 or cable box with the home theater remote and it would switch the correct inputs and route them to the home theater output. This would be how most systems would work.

You never really said how many HDMI inpits and out puts the receiver has? That would determine how it is hooked up.