MS announced the LTE HTC Titan II with 16 megapixel camera!

1050.Bethpage_PhotoGallery_homescreen_59A560AD.jpg?e83a2c

Microsoft has announced the HTC Titan II on the Windows Team Blog.

The handset will pack a 4.7 inch WVGA screen, 1.5 Ghz processor, LTE 4G and a 16 megapixel fast wide-angle lens (f2.6, 28mm) camera with dual LED flash.

It will also have a 1.3 megapixel front facing camera. The camera will feature red eye reduction, image stabilization, a panorama mode for landscapes, and a burst shot mode for sports or kids and record 720p video.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/01/09/ces-the-htc-titan-ii-one-of-the-first-lte-windows-phones-comes-to-at-amp-t.aspx

I remember months ago where the rumor was about a HTC device with a 12MP camera, guess 12 wasn't enough for them and they went with 16! That seems way overkill, but the titan has a good camera already, so this new one should be good I'd say.

Now to see if Nokia can step up and do a better job with the camera on the 900, the 800 isn't the best out there though it's also good for a phone.

Shame Windows Phone's camera app can't even show pictures that big at full resolution :p

Can't wait to see how the camera quality turns out, but at least I feel a little better knowing my Titan at least has an f2.2 sensor :3

I'm glad I got the current Titan since it doesn't have that lip at the bottom. Horrendous. The curve below the lens is a nice touch though.

Shame Windows Phone's camera app can't even show pictures that big at full resolution :p

Can't wait to see how the camera quality turns out, but at least I feel a little better knowing my Titan at least has an f2.2 sensor :3

They probably can't do f2.2 with 16mpix, or maybe the cost would be way too high? This thing will probably cost an extra $100 over the original titan I bet just for the bigger camer and LTE.

I'd rather have the earlier F2.2 camera than a 16MP image (which to be frank coming from a phone is overkill) especially considering it will be cheaper.

On a side note I don't know why they insist on adding different textured parts to the rear of the case... why they can't just make it one solid piece - plain and simple.

Apart from the camera (which by the released specs appears to be nice) why are windows phones so much less than android phones? This is one of Microsoft's biggest problems in getting uptake on Windows Phone. Why would I go out and get a new phone with only a single core, meh screen resolution, only 720p video etc. when I can get so much more for the same price just running android? That's one of the reasons I switched from Windows Mobile to Android, windows phones are basically outdated even when new.

Apart from the camera (which by the released specs appears to be nice) why are windows phones so much less than android phones? This is one of Microsoft's biggest problems in getting uptake on Windows Phone. Why would I go out and get a new phone with only a single core, meh screen resolution, only 720p video etc. when I can get so much more for the same price just running android? That's one of the reasons I switched from Windows Mobile to Android, windows phones are basically outdated even when new.

Those restrictions are OS based not manufacturer based, they will only go away with patching (like LTE), so if you REALLY NEED zoom zoom top awesome hardware Windows Phone won't be in your market until Apollo (v8) when they remove all the restrictions left behind by the v6 > v7 move.

The first Titan with WP7 runs perfectly smooth doing everything - why add unnecessary cost?

Who needs a higher res screen, how good is your vision!?

Windows Mobile is nothing compared to WP7. And Android is nothing compared to WP7.

In fact Windows Mobile has nothing to do with WP7.

Percieved performance between high-end Android and high-end Windows Phone tend to be relatively the same, despite Microsoft's restricted specs.

But the specs make it easier on developers to ensure a consistent application experience across devices (and the 720p limitation is part of that - the second gen Snapdragon chips used in Windows Phone simply do not support 1080p video capture).

Even though the the hardware is quite different, the experience is still largely the same.

Of course, it would do them no harm to update the specs, but they've not announced anything - though it's pretty safe to assume that'll be happening this year.

I'm glad I got the current Titan since it doesn't have that lip at the bottom. Horrendous. The curve below the lens is a nice touch though.

That curve at the botton is rather strange...

Surely you know I'm talking about WM.... Just because its evolution resulted in a name change doesn't somehow remove its history.

For the record, considering there was no WM 6 code in WP 7, I doubt there were any restrictions placed explicitly by the upgrade of v6 -> v7.

They were primarily there to ensure a consistently uniform and stable user experience, to help maximise consumer satisfaction by making sure as much as possible works between all devices with minimal effort.

That curve at the botton is rather strange...

I take it that's there to make it look like the camera lens doesn't stick out as much as it does - if they didn't have that there it'd stick out a LOT. Which of course, gives me hope that it is actually a decent sensor considering it's size.

So it has a 16MP camera, but it only records 720p... :huh:

Unfortunately 1080p video support was added in with third gen snapdragon processors... Windows Phone only supports first and second gen processors as of yet, so no 1080p video :[

You would think with all the other specs on it that the front facing camera would be better. however, as i have never used a windows phone before i can honestly say from the specs on this one i would be willing to give one a go.

what is goin on with tmobile, i cant get a answer anywhere, as far as premium phones areconcerned i grabbed the hd7 , now no titan no lumina 900 and no longer offering the hd7 any info guys???
[/CODE]

For the record, considering there was no WM 6 code in WP 7, I doubt there were any restrictions placed explicitly by the upgrade of v6 -> v7.

Last I checked they used the exact same kernel (obviously updated), the kernel that's rumoured to be replaced by the Windows 8 kernel come Apollo. Sorry, but WP7 wasn't a complete re-write.

Just incase there's any confusion, I'm talking about inherited restrictions from the upgrade.

It won't take long for dual core and 720p screens to show up on WP, LTE is now out of the way so those two things are up next. Honestly I'd hate to get a phone on the android side only to have samsung or HTC come out with something a bit better 2-3 months later. Though the titan 2 is better it's not yet on sale it seems, so from titan 1 to titan 2 it could be something like ~4-5 months maybe (they've only said 1h 2012 right?)

Anyways, I'm sure even with dual core and higher res screens people will find something to not like about it. Some things will never change.

Peter Chou said the handset was a showcase of HTC?s promise to the mobile lifestyle and was ?Titan II is packed with image technology?.

The camera will feature a fast wide-angle lens (f2.6, 28mm), autofocus, and dual LED flash, red eye reduction, image stabilization, a panorama mode for landscapes, and a burst shot mode for sports or kids.

The camera has a dedicated image processor and a back-illuminated sensor for low light sensitivity.

http://wmpoweruser.com/htc-titan-2-packed-with-imaging-technology/

htcradiantsample2.jpg?e83a2c

Here's a sample picture from the new camera. Ofc it's not the full HD image but you'll get a good idea imo.