Neowin Live

Yesterday marked the first day we've used our new Live Blogging functionality, added for CES. It was used to cover keynotes from Intel, Samsung, Netgear, LG, and of course, Microsoft. I'm interested to hear how many of you may have followed the keynotes using this new feature, and if you did, what you thought of it, and what you'd like to see added to it for future live events we cover.

Thanks in advance for the feedback folks :D

...Yes, that's why I just said we did....

We've been live-blogging keynotes from CES for a few years now, but this is the first time using our in-house tech for it, rather than something like CoverItLive, which we used in past years. Hence why I'm asking for feedback for future events.

I checked it out yesterday for a while. All in all it seemed to be a good system.

The one thing that did come to mind while watching it was the need for some sort of synopsis. I opened the page midway through the event, and the various reports that came in didn't make any sense to me because they were related to something that had already been introduced earlier. Updates such as "it's beautiful" didn't help me much because I was sat there thinking, "what is?" and while I could have scrolled back and looked at earlier reports, the number of incoming reports would have meant that I'd always be behind.

So my comment is more for the reporters than the developers I guess. Just every now and again, include a small synopsis so that those people that are just joining are able to quickly get up to speed.

But as I said at the start, the feature is interesting. I look forward to it being available for future events.

...Yes, that's why I just said we did....

We've been live-blogging keynotes from CES for a few years now, but this is the first time using our in-house tech for it, rather than something like CoverItLive, which we used in past years. Hence why I'm asking for feedback for future events.

Maybe one tip I can give is to better advertise that you're blogging CES? - I visit the site multiple times a day and had no idea.

I visit the site multiple times a day and had no idea.

Really? I was looking at the main page after work and noticed a new flashing icon on the Intel article. Holding the cursor over the icon presented me with a "Live Coverage" message and clicking on the article link brought me to the live updates...

I guess you would have had to notice the new icon first like I did, but I didn't exactly find it inconspicuous.

Really? I was looking at the main page after work and noticed a new flashing icon on the Intel article. Holding the cursor over the icon presented me with a "Live Coverage" message and clicking on the article link brought me to the live updates...

I guess you would have had to notice the new icon first like I did, but I didn't exactly find it inconspicuous.

Yeah the icon is only active when it's taking place :)

Followed the Intel and Microsoft keynotes with the live ticker, was working really well!

All the messages from the MS keynote appeared 10 seconds before the events in the official video coverage,

which was also a pleasant surprise! (Y)

Followed the Intel and Microsoft keynotes with the live ticker, was working really well!

All the messages from the MS keynote appeared 10 seconds before the events in the official video coverage,

which was also a pleasant surprise! (Y)

Tachyon powered laptops... ;)

Are you going to have support for windows phones when BUILD comes around? Sigh...

I am assuming the live feeds do not appear for the mobile site, not just on WP. (Even if it did, how do you format that much text into a small space?)

That said, this simple Live Blogging gets the job done well.

Maybe one tip I can give is to better advertise that you're blogging CES? - I visit the site multiple times a day and had no idea.

Kinda hard to not notice they were live blogging. How could you not see it?

I guess the best complement I could give is that I didn't even notice Neowin was using their own live blog code.

Yea I was looking at the tickers for all the live blogs you did, good job on the reporting aswell. I enjoyed it, I felt more involved :)

I followed them all and had no problems doing so. I enjoyed it a lot, and hope you'll carry on with it in the future. The fact that it was quite "plain" made it easy to follow in contrast to some other sites out there. Good job in my opinion.

Are you going to have support for windows phones when BUILD comes around? Sigh...

Hopefully. At the moment, there's no mobile support, due to the tight timescale of getting it built ready for CES. We simply didn't have the time to build it for mobile too, and test it on the vast range of mobile browsers out there. That's definitely something we'll be working on though.

The one thing I miss from past events where you used "Cover-it live" was seeing the commentary from folks following along. Perhaps adding a method to let those following your feed, comment on what they're seeing would be good.

For now, you can comment in the standard comments area below, but allowing more user interaction with the live event is something we're thinking about how best to implement.

For now, you can comment in the standard comments area below, but allowing more user interaction with the live event is something we're thinking about how best to implement.

Yea that I knew. But it doesn't have the same feel to it, as commenting live. Eh, good to know that you're at least thinking about it.