Apple TV and Home Sharing...

Hey everyone,

I gave my parents an Apple TV for xmas, and now they're setting it up and are wondering about which Apple ID to use.

I don't own one, and hence have never been through the setup process. Can you use multiple Apple ID's?

If not, say one Apple ID has downloaded / purchased content. How would they get it to the Apple TV? Would they then be able to switch ID's if for instance there was a second account with other stuff?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated,

I've read the Home Sharing article but don't fully understand it!

Cheers,

Hopefully this reply isn't too late.

Home Sharing shares whatever DRM/Non-DRM content is tied to an Apple ID from one's iTunes library for up to five devices. So you can have one computer pushing content to any combination of 5 Home Sharing enabled devices.

You can use multiple Apple IDs, but you can only use one at a time. To stream the content from the computer to the Apple TV, you have to enable Home Sharing in iTunes, enter the Apple ID and password for the account you want to use, and then do the same on the Apple TV. Also, you have to have iTunes running on your computer while you're streaming, so if it pops back an error saying that it can't find anything, make sure it's running.

If you want to stream from a different account, just enable Home Sharing for that iTunes account and Apple ID, then change the ID and password you have saved at the Apple TV.

Hope this help.

Cheers,

Ben

Yes, you can stream content from multiple iTunes accounts to the same Apple TV. You just need to pick one Apple ID to use for home sharing and use that as the home sharing account on all of the iTunes instances. Home sharing and iTunes purchasing accounts are independent.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4363

The same Apple ID must be used to enable Home Sharing to stream media content from your computer(s) to Apple TV (2nd generation). You can stream from more than one computer to Apple TV as long as all computers use the same Apple ID for Home Sharing.