• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Metro haters and Microsoft haters in general

fenderMarky    35

You obviously didn't try it ...

I agree... most of this people saw a picture or a simple video but they didn't try it.

fenderMarky    35

I agree with what many have said... And I will go as far as to say the Metro interface will be nice for phones and tablets, mobile touchscreen devices. But not for the desktop PC--and no matter what they are trying to say or do, there will always be a place for the regular PC, with mouse and keyboard interface.

Windows 8 is fully compatible with keyboard and mouse. Instead of clicking an icon you will click a "tile" (this for the smart screen). The rest is pretty much the same. It's not so hard to believe...

Stoffel    1,811

I think the people who are hoping for a Metro start screen off switch are not going to be happy because i don't think MS will implement one.

Right now the DP is a bit crippled because there are no METRO apps so you spend most of your time in desktop mode (that's what i'm doing right now)

but one the Windows store opens in Feb you are hopefully going to see more use in the METRO start screen.

The way I see it, it's just a very large start menu where i can find my apps quicker then in the old start menu.

I also feel people ( as do i) need to get used to all the extra search/share options that win8 will give us.

MS is also working on making the start screen much more accessible through KB and mouse, we just have to wait for de BETA

So why don't we all come back early march after playing with the Beta for a couple of days

djdanster    594

Many people that know me would say I'm a big Microsoft liker, even going on to say I'm a Microsoft fanboy. I love Windows Phone 7 and it's interface as it fits perfectly onto a device under 5 inches. I own a 21.5 inch touch screen and I've played around with the WDP. The comments I will make are made on the current form of the WDP. I entirely understand that we don't even have our hands on beta yet and how much the interface was played around with and improved hugely throughout the beta and release candidates of Windows vista and Windows 7.

What's the point in having monochromatic icons with simple shapes when you can have multiple colours which would look much more appealing in the same amount of space? Also why is MS afraid of adding any form of 3D into their icons? Look at the Windows 7 icons, they have a form of depth, this in my opinion makes for a much better icon. Talking about icons may seem like a minor this but without them the OS would just be text with a few colour blocks here and there! It's a beta why am I giving the icons so much beef?! haha!

Why so many square corners? What's is wrong with rounded corners? :)

I'm not anywhere near ready to write off Metro. When the time comes that the interface is locked down in beta and no more major design or features are aloud to be added I will make my final decision on whether I like the metro interface or not. I just know if we give MS enough time they can sort it out and I will really enjoy Windows 8 as my primary OS. After all the developer preview was designed for DEVELOPERS and not for users who like pretty shiny products lol.

I actually did really enjoy using Metro and it will definitely be my main interface as time goes on. The comments above are just a small amount things Microsoft should and will most definitely focus on, after all it is very early in the dev stages.

I'm so confused with it currently though. I do and I don't enjoy it. I think the concept of metro is great and I do enjoy the interface and the direction MS is heading in. I think what is mostly putting my off with the WDP is the f**king ugly background in the Metro interface, green is ok but the shade isn't very nice. I do REALLY like the blue background in the beta though :). Maybe that's what annoys me, having to look at the that god damn shade of green all the time is p**sing me off :p.

TL;DR = Metro is great, few things need to be sorted, and I hate that god damn shade of green!!! :laugh:

I've confused my self :pinch:. I do like it but I kinda just talked my self out of liking it :p. Damn, I like it!

///EDIT/// Sorry for the really messy post xD

Stoffel    1,811

Hey thanks for this, now could you post one just like it for Linux and Apple.

I don't really read Apple or Android forums so I don't have a clue how bad it is there.

Feel free to copy the post and change MS for Apple or Android :)

PGHammer    1,657

Don?t get me wrong I think Metro is a beautiful UI for a touch interface, fantastic even, but only for a touch interface. The problem with Microsoft is they don?t think out of the box. They think everything needs the same UI. This is why, when in early 2001 / 2002 Gates tried to get tablets mainstream he failed. To him everything had to run windows. He took the Windows XP UI, added a few touch / pen enhancements on it and slapped it onto a laptop with a touch screen.

You just can?t take something that wasn?t made for touch and slap some touch modifications on top. That?s what happened with Windows Mobile 6.5. Sure on the surface touch worked but once you started to get back into the bowls of the OS you were met with a UI built for a stylus. Microsoft learned their lesson (or did they) and realized they had to build something from the ground up that was made for touch and geared towards the mobile market. Thus Windows Phone 7 OS was born.

Now along comes Metro on Windows 8 and back to the tablet market they go. So now they think, hmm?. We have Windows 7 which is a great OS, much like how they thought Windows Mobile 5 was a great OS, but just needed some touch enhancements. So now they build a touch interface on top of Windows 7. The problem is, the same thing is going to happen on Tablets, which happened on Windows Mobile devices when they tried to build a touch UI onto something that wasn?t built for the finger. Sure metro will be great, but once the user leaves Metro they are met with something that was made for a mouse and keyboard.

What they should have done, is taken the Windows Phone 7 OS, the OS that was made for touch inside and put it on their tablets. Having just said that, I?m going to get people that say ?OH NOES, can?t do that, because people can?t be productive with the WP7 OS!?. My response to that is, anybody who wants to be productive is not going to be using a tablet and touching a screen with their finger. They are going to grab a laptop or go to their desktop which utilizes a mouse and keyboard.

Because Microsoft thinks that one OS and UI should rule them all they decided to bring the Metro UI designed for touch over to the desktop and laptop market. Essentially doing in reverse what they did to the tablet market back in 2001 /2002. In the early 2000?s they brought a mouse and keyboard UI to a tablet, and now they are bringing a touch UI to the mouse and keyboard.

WarWagon - thinking that different devices need different UIs is not outside-the-box thinking - that has, in fact, been the traditional thought process for all of computing.for all graphical user interfaces. The most traditionalist thinking, in fact, revolves around proprietary/niche operating systems for different devices - the result has been Windows CE (which begat Windows Mobile - while based on CE, it is a fork of CE for specific devices) which is itself a fork of Windows NT; webOS, MeeGo, Symbian, iOS, even Android Gingerbread (which is a device-specific fork of Android).

Windows Mobile/CE/Phone/Embedded are far closer to both each other, and the successor OS to the common parent (Windows NT), than they have ever been since the birth of CE. That is the opposite of the trend in device-based operating-system development. If that isn't outside-the-box thinking (as opposed to traditional/conventional thinking), what is? The only other operating system even coming close to reversing the fracturization trend is Android with Ice Cream Sandwich. ICS happened because the developers yelled at Google over the device-specific fork that was Gingerbread.

MikuluMac - I never said that the opinions themselves weren't valid - I've said that they were subjective, as opposed to objective. User interfaces and usability in general are, in fact, VERY subjective, as in individual and personal. Until Windows 8/Phone/Embedded came along, we've been catering to that with forks of existing OSes and even outright niche OSes, as opposed to merely offering a UI choice - which is, oddly enough, something that Linux distributions have long done. There are four (at least) *major* - and several minor - desktop environments and user interface options available for Linux distributions; that's not by accident. Linux distributions offer UI/DE choice because of the personal/subjective nature of usability. What Windows 8 has done is basically taken a page out of the FOSS book by allowing UI choice by the individual user. It's also why the traditional UI (in addition to Metro) is available with Windows 8. Has anything been said concerning the tradtional Windows 7 UI being dropped by Windows 8? Not at all. Metro has been emphasized *because* it's the new - though optional - UI; the standard UI as we have known it hasn't gone anywhere. That's not uncertainty; both Stevens (Sinofsky and Ballmer) have stated quite plainly that the traditional UI will, in fact, remain available. That's why I didn't characterize the reaction as being FUD - that would imply uncertainty and/or doubt.

The traditional UI for Windows has not gone anywhere. Traditional/classic applications *still* work in Windows 8 - even with Metro as the UI. (Go to the Windows 8 desktops thread and simply look at the uploaded screenies.) Absent uncertainty or doubt, what's left is plain old FEAR - which, as it turns out, is absolutely positively groundless.

• Like 1

Order_66    948

I don't hate change, if someone is trying to sell me something that is ugly I will point it out for what it is, ugly.

I don't "hate" microsoft, I certainly don't trust them, if they continue with their metro plans on windows 8 then I predict windows 7 will turn into another XP, it will be around a long time because people wont want to upgrade.

Josh the Nerd    17

Don?t get me wrong I think Metro is a beautiful UI for a touch interface, fantastic even, but only for a touch interface. The problem with Microsoft is they don?t think out of the box. They think everything needs the same UI. This is why, when in early 2001 / 2002 Gates tried to get tablets mainstream he failed. To him everything had to run windows. He took the Windows XP UI, added a few touch / pen enhancements on it and slapped it onto a laptop with a touch screen.

You just can?t take something that wasn?t made for touch and slap some touch modifications on top. That?s what happened with Windows Mobile 6.5. Sure on the surface touch worked but once you started to get back into the bowls of the OS you were met with a UI built for a stylus. Microsoft learned their lesson (or did they) and realized they had to build something from the ground up that was made for touch and geared towards the mobile market. Thus Windows Phone 7 OS was born.

Now along comes Metro on Windows 8 and back to the tablet market they go. So now they think, hmm?. We have Windows 7 which is a great OS, much like how they thought Windows Mobile 5 was a great OS, but just needed some touch enhancements. So now they build a touch interface on top of Windows 7. The problem is, the same thing is going to happen on Tablets, which happened on Windows Mobile devices when they tried to build a touch UI onto something that wasn?t built for the finger. Sure metro will be great, but once the user leaves Metro they are met with something that was made for a mouse and keyboard.

What they should have done, is taken the Windows Phone 7 OS, the OS that was made for touch inside and put it on their tablets. Having just said that, I?m going to get people that say ?OH NOES, can?t do that, because people can?t be productive with the WP7 OS!?. My response to that is, anybody who wants to be productive is not going to be using a tablet and touching a screen with their finger. They are going to grab a laptop or go to their desktop which utilizes a mouse and keyboard.

Because Microsoft thinks that one OS and UI should rule them all they decided to bring the Metro UI designed for touch over to the desktop and laptop market. Essentially doing in reverse what they did to the tablet market back in 2001 /2002. In the early 2000?s they brought a mouse and keyboard UI to a tablet, and now they are bringing a touch UI to the mouse and keyboard.

Interesting thoughts. I agree that tablet users would have difficulty using the old desktop side of Windows 8 on their tablets. I think Microsoft realizes this and intends for Windows 8's implementation of Metro to be a complete tablet OS UI. Could you name something in particular that is easier with Windows Phone 7 than with Windows 8? I don't know of any features Metro lacks that a phone UI wouldn't also lack. My point is that the tablet user gets the same experience they would get with an OS written from scratch for touch--because its UI was.

I think an OS with both UIs is necessary to support convertible tablets with keyboards and trackpads. It's also nice to have the desktop interface available on a tablet when the need arises.

bjoswald    210

I think it would be a good idea

for people to try to ignore them

but because posts like these keep coming

you can't help but wonder if

people are being baited into more flames

because it's like poking a sleeping bear with a stick.

Please format your posts correctly.

ajua    61

I agree with the OP, but this can be said for Apple or Linux/Android.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people feel the need to write ironic remarks or even "jokes" that make no sense. They just try to trash-talk about the competing product/device opposite of what they use, like or love.

If I don't have any positive or constructive criticism about something, I don't bother.

About the topic, I think Metro is huge for touch-enabled devices and should take the market by storm when all the different devices come up near the RTM dates. Productivity wise, as other have said, will still come up to us using a mouse and a keyboard. I don't believe Microsoft will enforce the start screen on regular desktop PC's without touch monitors.

They are showcasing all that because that is exactly what they want, people to see it and like it already. As with Windows Phone UI, it has received very positive reviews by media and users alike.

I'm waiting for the Beta to make my mind about the Start screen and they general Metro feel. It's too early to criticize this incomplete builds. After many of us get a hand on the Beta and use it for day to day tasks, then we can get a more complete panorama on how well it can do when it's launched.

• Like 1

Gerowen    1,244

I'm a long time Linux user. I gave up on Windows years ago not because it was particularly bad or un-usable, I just prefer Linux, for many reasons I won't bother to rant about here. Long story short, if you take time to learn Linux based operating systems, they're superior in many ways to the current-gen Windows operating systems, but to each their own. As long as Microsoft doesn't start pushing for proprietary hardware to prevent people from using something other than Windows, I could really care less what Microsoft does.

tanjiajun_34    23

To me Metro on WP7 is great. But on Windows 8, not as good.... The start screen in Metro and then switch back to Aero. The theme is inconsistent. I hope they just stick to 1 design style.

+Human.Online    8,772

Who the hell are you (OP) to tell people what to say and where to say it?

subcld    432

Hi,

I'm starting this tread for all the people on Neowin who hate the direction Microsoft is going with Metro and for all the people who generally dislike Microsoft.

Can you guys just all come and hang out here for the future and stay away from all the other MS related treads

Specially if you got nothing better to say then

It's ugly, it's not user friendly, it's a step back,....

MS is this, MS is that,....

I know forums are for sharing your thoughts but it's just getting silly

Every post you read about Win 8 the same people are back saying the same old thing again

It's getting tiring

If you have nothing nice to stay, just stay away. You don't find me sh*tting all over your Android and Apple treads.

I'm sure other people here on Neowin would appreciate it too

Cheers

Well Said (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

windows 8 will prove it self in the market even if haters like it or not

• Like 1

von kain    5

All profoundly original art looks ugly at first.

Steven P.    15,004

This post won't fix over eleven years of banter between those that use anything but Microsoft products and those that do, and there's a "report" button for everything else.

Closed.

• Like 1