• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Samsung Omnia W or Nokia Lumia 710

psreloaded    66

Hi Folks,

I have been planning to buy a WP 7.5 smart-phone. Now I am torn between the Omnia W and the Lumia 710. From what I have gathered, the Omnia W is cheaper, has AMOLED screen, Front camera and a bigger capacity battery. The lumia on the other hand, is better looking and has the Nokia apps Music, Drive and Maps.

Any suggestions as to which one I should go with??

Muhammad Farrukh    1,080

Personally I would go with Lumia here.

Thats not to say Omnia W is a bad choice. Not at all.

The added features of NOKIA and ClearBlack display for Lumia

AMOLED, FFC for Omnia.

Either way, you won't regret the buy.

psreloaded    66

Thanks for the info... One thing I would like to know is that how much of a difference does the three nokia apps have on the overall windows phone usage experience! If it is a lot, i might go with it, otherwise, Omnia W is cheaper and comes with Amoled...

Well you know, the maps and drive apps are free for life-time. Same goes for Music

Not a big deal, at least in my opinion, but if you have the money for it, these extra features will do only good.

And ClearBlack display isn't that bad.

Knife Party    629

the Nokia drive, voice navigation and free lifetime GPS maps are well worth the Lumia 710, that alone presents a dual functionality as a very functional GPS device, that can be used anywhere, especially while driving. The Lumia downsides are a LCD clearblack screen, which has slightly poorer viewing angles in sunlight, but with screen brightness becomes no problem. Its hardware is pretty competitive right now.. comparatively to other Mango phones. And it comes with backcovers that can be played around with. In my opinion, a front facing camera almost never gets used, most people i know hardly also even use this feature.

subcld    432

if those services on Nokia more important to you go with Lumia 710

i would do the same if its up to me unless the front facing camera more important to you specially when skype going to be released to windows phone in the next months

psreloaded    66

thanks guys... Well, GPS is definitely important... How about the battery backup difference...

As you might know, Nokia is the boss in this catagory too, so I'd expect the battery to be a little better on 710 than Omnia.

710 has a 1500 mAH one and Omnia has a 1300 mAH

psreloaded    66

The Lumia has the 1300 mAH battery but it is difficult to ascertain how much of a diff 200mAH will make...

~Johnny    397

The Lumia has the 1300 mAH battery but it is difficult to ascertain how much of a diff 200mAH will make...

Judging by the 800's less than stellar battery life, I'd give it to Samsung (that, an the AMOLED screen will save you some battery life in most cases). These phones are using mostly the same parts, and with a bigger battery and generally more power-efficient screen, the Omnia W should do quite nicely for itself.

Just for the hell of it, the Omnia W can also use Glosnass positioning system for a quicker "GPS" fix, and help improve accuracy. To add my two cents, the Samsung has a nicer metal build quality, a much nicer looking SAMOLED display, and a good camera unit and a Gycroscope, along with the FF camera. The Lumia has a Nokia Drive... which, if that's important to you, I guess there's not really a choice :p

• Like 1

Zain Adeel    197

Nicely put..

i almost forgot.

no gyro in Nokia???

and yes Glonass is very fast! :) and the AMOLED is good. in that size the pentile wont even matter.

but yes..

ive used mine for about 7 8 months now. And i use Pulse app alot. And if im on a white background or black i can see the round button below have burnd a little in the display .. not much but a little. This doesnt happen in todays LCDs.. not sure if Samsungs Super AMOLEDs fix this or not.

Omnia W aint Super AMOLED.. only the flash focus s is i guess...

But Samsung got hell of a better body. than the Lumia 710.

bigger battery.. although the battery in my Omnia 7 is pathetic. :(

psreloaded    66

Thanks for clearing my doubts guys... :) Hmm... didn't know abt the Amoled's battery efficiency. I guess Omnia W it is then...

subcld    432

so omnia w wins with Super AMOLED ,1500 mAh compared to 1300 mAh battery, gyroscopes sensor and front facing camera i didn't notice that

congratulations psreloaded and thx ~johnny for correcting me

bdsams    365

let us know how it works out for you, curious to hear your experience.

~Johnny    397

Also forgot to add, for what it's worth, the Nokia devices don't have tethering / internet sharing yet. Although, Nokia do get a lot of EA game titles earlier than everyone else - again, only if that matters to you. Nokia are more likely to have better exclusive applications going forward, as they're the only WP manufacturer completely dedicated to WP as their primary smartphone business - and of course have already expressed their intention to create exclusive applications that can differentiate them.

subcld    432

^^

correct nokia has better services

omnia has better hardware

psreloaded    66

^^

correct nokia has better services

omnia has better hardware

This is what has confused me... to go with better hardware or the prospect of better software in the future from Nokia... but high chances are that I would go with Omnia W since its a tad bit cheaper than the Lumia 710 as well. Of course what I will do after going to the store is to be seen... :laugh: