Microsoft really has got to fix the Ctrl+C Bug (doesn't work sometimes)

Ctrl+C issue  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced the ctrl+c bug mentioned in this thread?

• Yes
    • No

I have had this problem and I've had been testing it thoroughly myself and the bug is probably not in the "Control C" itself, but more of like the Control-V function. Control-C works but I can't confirm that it works right, but based on visual conclusion, it copied to the memory buffer. So to confirm that Control C works correctly, you have to use the mouse and right-click on the location (or properly put as stated in the post) you'd have to paste that memory properly in the location using the right-click on the mouse. When you control-C, you know that it's already copied to the memory buffer correctly based on the fact that 1) the file is lighted out to show it's copied into the memory. 2) When you right click, it shows that there are something in the memory buffer because "Paste" is enabled in the right-click menu. 3) base on several tests I did, Control-C and Control-X share the same copied function. The error comes when you try to paste it differently. When you paste, each function does it a bit differently. One of which is getting rid of the memory first before it is pasted or moved.

Yes this bug happens during the Windows XP SP2 or SP3. I can not fully confirm because I had not use XP for so long.

This happens to me just about every day. Especially when using Opera, sometimes even right click + copy doesn't work. But thats probably due to Opera being silly.

Other times it's in the windows file explorer, notepad, programmers notepad, eclipse. Happens everywhere. I'm sure this is some weird bug and not just the "Oh you guys should learn to use ctrl+c right". Holding ctrl and mashing C repeatedly usually solves it. That and selecting the text/element over and over again a few times.

How about that warwagon

... it was just yesterday i was thinking about this little bug. And some others in WP7... and i was planning to post them so MS can fix their stuff. But i think they are too small for them to notice.

e.g.. that window drag bug where u see a black box on the right side.

in WP7.. if u go to start screen and go down.. and then flick up (while its going upwards) press the back button and you will see it stutter a few times.

In few apps (messeging) if you pull down extra menu from below and do it with drag instead of touch. After you have dragged it to the fullest dont lift the finger and drag it back down to the lowest point. You will notice 1pixel of icon text which will disappear if u lift your finger. :p

i know its a small bug but its a design flaw.

Always worked 100% fine for me on windows, switch to GNU/linux and flash ctrl+c works but very rarely, I mainly use ctrl+x and the text vanished, press ctrl+v and you don't get what you copied at all.

Never use control-C myself, too used to it signaling a program break in console applications so never got used to using it to copy. Ctrl-ins/shift-ins has worked 100% of the time for me however, without fail.

e.g.. that window drag bug where u see a black box on the right side

That's not really a bug, that's just the DWM being able to redraw the window chrome faster than the Window content can actaully redraw itself. In XP this didn't matter because the Window would draw it's own chrome, so you'd just end up with screen tearing when trying to resize fast instead because the Window couldn't redraw itself fast enough. With DWM, there's no screen tearing, and Window resizing redraws the chrome mostly fine (though applications still can't redraw their contents fast enough, so you get black inside where the application still hasn't redrawn yet)

in WP7.. if u go to start screen and go down.. and then flick up (while its going upwards) press the back button and you will see it stutter a few times.

Hey don't get rid of that! xD I love playing with that when I'm bored with a nice long start screen, seeing how many times I can get it to bounce. It's a nice, non destructive quirk :p (Though I do it by pressing the start button again, not the back button)

I am pretty sure this Ctrl + C thing is definitely a bug though, I've taken to pressing Ctrl + C really slowly and surely, and it still sometimes doesn't work @__@

Although, what's even more annoying, it Visual Studio 2010's stupid habit of letting you accidentally cut / copy empty strings to your clipboard. Heck, even just pressing "cut" with nothing highlighted will clear you clipboard >.<

I've noticed this a few times over the years occasionally on an mbp and an imac, it also happens regularly on my linux machine at work

At work I copy and paste like there is no tomorrow, and I always thought it was my keyboard not picking up the ctrl or the c which seems to happen at times (I'll hit ctrl + v and it will put a "v" or ctrl + s will put an "s"). But I can confirm this happens to me I'd say 6/10 times I find it really only happens with files though, not text.

Windows XP SP3 btw.

ya when it happens I get so ****ed I do ctrl+CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

this.

so wait. all these times that I DIDNT work, I wasnt ****ing up myself, but it is a bug of the most basic function?

damn.

Can't possibly be third party, user is always perfect, must be the OS!

Also, fail poll is fail. I voted both yes and no because I can.

Also, It's fine over here.

"user is always perfect, must be the OS!"

Oh -- great start to the morning!! Thanks for that chuckle, and yes I agree the user is always perfect and must always be hitting cntrl+C correctly and perfectly - how would the user ever mess up such a simple task.

So it points more to a bug in the OS, code loves to work just for no reason some times. Your lucky I did what I was programmed to do user, cuz next time I might just not ;)

What is more likely here folks, you didn't hit cntrl C how you thought -- or that there is some bug that sometimes makes it not work.

Now not saying I have not had my own issues with the clipboard, but saying the copy portion of it using that key stroke has a bug?? I have problems sometimes pasting into firefox.. But then I can paste fine into notepad -- so you sure can not blame that on cntrl c bug.

• 2 years later...

I notice the last post was from January 2012....it is now 2014 and I am seeing this issue for the first time.  New laptops.  Windows 7 x64.  Confirmed: not a case of mis-hitting keys.  Can't be.  3 people here have reported this quirkiness - one, being me.  Any new developments or discoveries about this issue?

I notice the last post was from January 2012....it is now 2014 and I am seeing this issue for the first time.  New laptops.  Windows 7 x64.  Confirmed: not a case of mis-hitting keys.  Can't be.  3 people here have reported this quirkiness - one, being me.  Any new developments or discoveries about this issue?

Yep, I still have the issue. Now I just do Ctrl + C C C C C C C C C C C C

As a programmer I ctrl + c more times in a day than I can remember

Oh, work for Apple do you? :p

Yep, I still have the issue. Now I just do Ctrl + C C C C C C C C C C C C

Similar here - I do CTRLCTRLCTRL CCCCCCCCCCC.

Usually works. :P

Old thread, but the glitch are still happens, at least for me:

Common occurance of the glitch, is nothing actually copied from when I press Ctrl+C, if there exist previous content in clipboard, pressing Crtl+V will paste older content.

Other rarer occurrences of this glitch, pressing Ctrl+C actually APPEND new content into the clipboard!

For example in clipboard there a text content: "Ack", then on other program I select words: "Ward of glass",

then press Ctrl+C, but when i tried to paste it, its outputing: "AckWard of glass".

I observe this glitch starting from XP SP2, its never occurred for me when I still using the Win 9x.

Try running the clipbrd.exe to observe the clipboard content.