Mint Linux v12 64 bit Memory Usage - Gotta Love It

Scorbing

How about you don't post trolling topics baiting for criticism and general counter-opinion? Kiddo.

I am not posting trolling anything, much less to bait anybody you immature child. I simply posted an opinion. If you don't like it, suck it up and go somewhere else. If you don't have anything positive to add to the conversation then take your childish, rude comments somewhere else because as far as I'm concerned, the only one trolling here is you. Everyone else is behaving like a human being except you.

remixedcat

:facepalm:

uhhh I said I would like to have an ssd drive LOL.... silly.

what's so bad about wanting one?

and I just told em about superfetch.... sorry if I lumped em too close together for you....

ArialBlue

I am not posting trolling anything, much less to bait anybody you immature child. I simply posted an opinion. If you don't like it, suck it up and go somewhere else. If you don't have anything positive to add to the conversation then take your childish, rude comments somewhere else because as far as I'm concerned, the only one trolling here is you. Everyone else is behaving like a human being except you.

You sir are easily offended by factual information which contradicts your savvy.

All you can do is misconstrue these truths into personal attacks.

Everyone here is telling you that your RAM usage is nothing worthy of showing off.

If you don't like butthurt, ask a moderator to lock the thread.

Deihmos

I find Windows to be a lot faster than both Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Linux feels so sluggish and my hardware is fast. I find that strange when the OS looks like something from the 90s. Maybe no hardware acceleration or something. Either way couldn't stand using it so back to Windows.

Mr. Gibs

True as it's been made transparent to the user. I'll be taking a look at HKCR in the registry and to the size of WinSxS folder. It's still a mess. It takes half the space of my installation and while there are many more pressing issues, I'm not exactly happy with that.

For the love of god, no it doesn't :no:

How is this FUD still alive..

br0adband

It's quite sad to see the level of BS posted in this thread - I didn't have to read it word for word, just scan it for the relevant tidbits which have been in place since about the time Vista appeared and Superfetch came into being. Yes, Linux does have the potential for using memory for caching purposes, but it's not enabled by default nor is it optimized or tuned to any significant degree out-of-the-box. Superfetch in Windows, even more so in Windows 7, is highly optimized and tuned nowadays and simply leaves "the competition" standing pretty much still.

So the OP has 8GB of RAM and is "happy" that he/she only requires 900MB of usage to get his/her most commonly used apps up and running, that's great, really. It means he/she now has ~7GB of that RAM doing absolutely nothing of consequence - when he/she loads up another app, it'll pull from the hard drive (or the SSD if he/she has one) and be slower than Windows pulling code from pure RAM.

Does it matter to 99% of the people using computers nowadays? Nope, they won't really notice the difference I suppose. Even SSDs are dog slow compared to pure RAM.

As many of the more knowledgeable and not quite so heavily biased folks have noted, unused RAM is typically considered "wasted" RAM for most if not all purposes. Sure, having 900MB in use and 7GB "free" is more than acceptable, I'd never be someone to say otherwise. But when that 7GB "free" is basically sitting there, consuming energy (even tiny amounts of it) and not actually paying for itself (I'm extrapolating there, deal with it), then it really is wasted potential.

There's Linux folk, there's Windows folk, there's OSX and BSD folk, and of course UNIX folk.

Can't we all just get along? :p

remixedcat

what's bad is excessive commit charge usage.... disk grinding like the backstreet boys in 1997!!!!

Beyond Godlike

Doesnt windows prefetch a ton of data into memory, and release it when it needs to. Im on 6gb and i game/run VM's and all at once and have never had a slowdown or memory issue. I dont have any experience running a full GUI based linux for all that since gaming on linux is a joke, and i never bother getting that serious with it cause of all the bugs/weird ui glitches i get on it.

HawkMan

uhhh I said I would like to have an ssd drive LOL.... silly.

what's so bad about wanting one?

and I just told em about superfetch.... sorry if I lumped em too close together for you....

You talked about super fetch and said you wished you had an SSD for IT.

remixedcat

IT---->Photoshop!!!!! is what I meant LMAO....

an SSD drive so I can have better performance with Photoshop!!!

it's freaking fast with it!

clam down hawkman.

Phouchg

For the love of god, no it doesn't :no:

How is this FUD still alive..

Ah, but perhaps I can see the size of the folders in question by clicking on Properties?

SiiGR.pngJtvkt.png

HawkMan

Ah, but perhaps I can see the size of the folders in question by clicking on Properties?

SiiGR.pngJtvkt.png

No. Because that shows the wong size on winsxs.

Winsxs saves the same file in several virtual locations. But only one place physically. Properties shows the size used by all the virtual copies and thus says winsxs uses much more data than it actually does. Theoretically winsxs could use 600 gigs on a 500 gig drive and you'd still have available space.

Phouchg

I hereby retract my statement. I've been irrevocably proven wrong. :pinch:

Scorbing

You sir are easily offended by factual information which contradicts your savvy.

All you can do is misconstrue these truths into personal attacks.

Everyone here is telling you that your RAM usage is nothing worthy of showing off.

If you don't like butthurt, ask a moderator to lock the thread.

The point is you don't need to be or behave like an ass to express your opinion. There is no need to be rude, plain and simple.

Wakers

I really find people showing off how little memory an OS uses (or how much it wastes) to be similar to the "look at my boot time!!11" threads that you sometimes get.

Of very limited practical value and serves no valuable purpose.