Why Microsoft needs Skype on Windows Phone NOW, not later

Below is a transcription of a conversation I overheard recently, which I believe is a perfect example of why Microsoft (specifically the Skype divison) need to get a Skype client (in some form) available for Windows Phone immediately. I don't want to hear about the "Top 25 apps" that are coming out in 1H 2012, apps with high visibility (such as Skype) need to be available now (and should have been available months ago).

Situation: A family is sitting around the living room chatting and watching a sports event on the television. The mother receives a FaceTime call on an iPhone 4 from a daughter in California (who owns an iPhone 4s) and everyone is waving hello while sitting around the living room

Boyfriend (WP7 owner): It's almost like she's watching the game with us (jokingly)

Girlfriend (iPhone 4 owner): Yeah, your sister called me the other day with FaceTime, she really loves it. And your little cousin always asks if I'm available to video chat, she's so cute.

Boyfriend (WP7 owner): It is pretty sweet (smiling)

Girlfriend (iPhone 4 owner): That's why you need to get an iPhone, dear (slaps his leg)

Boyfriend (WP7 owner): I'm sorry (shrugs, looks ashamed)

It's terrible that the boyfriend has to be ashamed because his phone doesn't have the capability to video chat. What's worse, to others (the girlfriend and the rest of the family)... all they see is iPhone w/FaceTime vs. Windows Phone w/nothing. They've never heard of "Tango" so who cares that Windows Phone has it. They have at least heard of Skype. Needless to say, Microsoft is at risk of losing a customer when they are ready for a new phone. My last effort will of course be to hand over my HTC TITAN to him when I upgrade to a 32GB Windows Phone (when/if it becomes available).

The longer Microsoft waits, the more opportunities Apple has to lure people over to their platform with catchy service names for their proprietary platform features.

I don't see that that many people even use facetime anyway. once or twice to show off but not that much. just like people never used the "UNIVERSAL" 3G videochat.

• Like 1

Granted it needed but how many devices today have front-facing cameras?

Best of all, it works with the back camera, too!

Skype works with back camera on Android, but then that makes seeing the other person a little difficult, unless you use a mirror lol

Tango, and facetime is creepy anyways. Back when i had an iphone (before i got out of my contract and went wp7) i hated talking on facetime. It was creepy having people stare at you with nothing else to look at but their face.

You can always use Tango, you know.

Yeah, but to your average consumer that's not an option.

"What's Tango?" they'll say. "You mean it doesn't have FaceTime? It doesn't have Skype?"

That's what you'll hear and that's a major problem. I use Tango, but many more of my friends either use FaceTime on their iPhone or Skype on everything else (I use Skype all the time on all of my other devices).

I really doubt MS is sitting on the Skype app laughing at everyone who wants it...it will arrive soon

I know, but I think they can do better. With as many resources as they have, they should have already found a way to be faster without compromising quality. They've been doing a very good job with the OS updates, they need to take what they've learned and apply it to other developments and divisions.

This! and as mentioned not all devices come with an FFC anyway.

Most if not all of the future Windows Phones will. I've had the TITAN since it was released which is already a few months now.

I really doubt MS is sitting on the Skype app laughing at everyone who wants it...it will arrive soon

Knowing Skype's track record with weird interfaces, they are just trying to figure out how to **** metro such that the client is a nightmare to use.

Microsoft buying them won't change those stupid UX designers.

i've had that awkward situtation so many times. whether its words with friends or temple run, my friends are always nagging about how i should just get an iphone. lack of big name apps is definately the platform's greatest weakness

Forget about videochat, how about free calls? Skype is awesome for that, especially if you have family or friends living abroad. I agree the app should've been out for a while now.

• 3 weeks later...

i've had that awkward situtation so many times. whether its words with friends or temple run, my friends are always nagging about how i should just get an iphone. lack of big name apps is definately the platform's greatest weakness

Wow, completely agreed - just earlier this week I had a coworker going on and on about how she was playing Temple Run during a break at a workshop. "You have got to play this game! Do you have an iPhone?" were here exact words. I simply said no.

skype beta is out ... for select MS employees from today. there'll probably be release in a couple of months

I know... and I am looking forward to Skype (and many other "big name" apps) very much. I hope when it comes out it is impressive enough to warrant several months' work.

I know... and I am looking forward to Skype (and many other "big name" apps) very much. I hope when it comes out it is impressive enough to warrant several months' work.

well, The skype app's got video calls :) that in itself means MS finally has a reliable, very functional facetime competitor, that is much better than facetime. The killer feature of OS level integration of Skype will have to wait for WP8.

i hope MS is working with devs and companies to get those Apps pronto on to the App store.