Excel file - unable to open, "Access denied. Contact your administrator

As the title states, I have a file on a shared network drive (accessed by 10 or so people). Everything worked fine for a few days, file was updated by at least 6 or 7 people. Came into work the other day, double click to open the file and get the following error message:

"Access denied. Contact your administrator."

I am the creator of the file and the file permissions are set to normal so nothing has been changed there. I used to have this problem before we were upgraded to Office 2010 and as a last resort I was able to just copy the file and then use the new one. Now if I attempt to copy and paste the file to my desktop, I get the following message:

"File Access Denied" - You need permission to perform this action, You require permission from <a user in my office> to make changes to this file. (I can only choose Try Again or Cancel)

This person gets the same error message on their PC so that does me no good. So is there anyway to recover this file or get access to it?

Thanks

Call the Help desk and ask them to disconnect all connection to that file.

Or if you have access(which is least possible) to the file server you can do it yourself.

As the title states, I have a file on a shared network drive (accessed by 10 or so people). Everything worked fine for a few days, file was updated by at least 6 or 7 people. Came into work the other day, double click to open the file and get the following error message:

"Access denied. Contact your administrator."

I am the creator of the file and the file permissions are set to normal so nothing has been changed there. I used to have this problem before we were upgraded to Office 2010 and as a last resort I was able to just copy the file and then use the new one. Now if I attempt to copy and paste the file to my desktop, I get the following message:

"File Access Denied" - You need permission to perform this action, You require permission from <a user in my office> to make changes to this file. (I can only choose Try Again or Cancel)

This person gets the same error message on their PC so that does me no good. So is there anyway to recover this file or get access to it?

Thanks

Right click the file > properties > security tab. Post screenshot please.

Is the file open in another location?

Office 2007-2010 show "this file is open by X. Do you want to notify that user, open a read only copy, and "something else.

Have you considered SharePoint?

OP doesn't seem to be the network admin.

We had this issue on some shared Excel files when we moved from Office 2003 to 2010. Had to wipe the permissions and add the permissions again and it worked after.

Call the Help desk and ask them to disconnect all connection to that file.

Or if you have access(which is least possible) to the file server you can do it yourself.

call is already in, been waiting a few days already- trying to speed up the process

Have you considered SharePoint?

yea, not the admin

Right click the file > properties > security tab. Post screenshot please.

Office 2007-2010 show "this file is open by X. Do you want to notify that user, open a read only copy, and "something else.

OP doesn't seem to be the network admin.

For "Users" it has Allow for Modift, Read & Execute, Read, Write (Full control is available to Admin only)

The user who is listed is getting the same error messages I got when attempting to copy to the local drive

Sounds corrupt. Copy to local disk and see if that opens. If not:

unable to copy to local disk

We had this issue on some shared Excel files when we moved from Office 2003 to 2010. Had to wipe the permissions and add the permissions again and it worked after.

ill try that.

edit - I get an access denied when attempting to change any permissions.